Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:53:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

I have it downloaded and on my list to watch. Can't wait, feels like it's been on my list thanks to Brooker, potentially from before his regular TV work.

Pseudopath

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 06, 2020, 10:26:09 PM
Isn't the Wire fucking great? I've been rewatching in quarantine as well, up to mid-season 4. Still loving it.

Is it though? I remember giving the first two episodes a spin and could barely understand a word anyone was saying. Did you watch it with subtitles or am I just deaf to the Baltimorean accent/dialect?

Ferris

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 07, 2020, 01:25:22 AM
Is it though? I remember giving the first two episodes a spin and could barely understand a word anyone was saying. Did you watch it with subtitles or am I just deaf to the Baltimorean accent/dialect?

Aaargh only watched 2 eps? You have to push through - it doesn't make anything easy for you, but it respects the audience enough to know that you'll figure it out.

Really, really, worth your time. Give it a try. Rewatch the first 2 eps and try to get through to ep 4 and see if you aren't intrigued.

It is genuinely a masterpiece. I won't bang on about it more than I have already, but it is up there with the Mountain Goats and Baseball as far as FerrisObsessionsTM are concerned. It's a terrific bit of telly, S3E06 is one of my favourite episodes/things of anything ever.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 06, 2020, 01:19:23 AM
I've not seen Gervais's new comedy and know nothing about it, but earlier this evening I read the thread from page 10 onwards.  Once I saw the post in question I had to read the rest of the thread through to the end.  There's some great photoshops in that thread, I had a lot of laughs.

It's about page 12 that it actually becomes clear, there's a link to a tweet of shitty dialogue, but then THE tweet. I too haven't seen this and barely heard of it, but when i saw that i had to go to Netflix immediately and find the scene in question and watch it on a proper telly. Over and over.

gib

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 07, 2020, 01:25:22 AM

I was the same, it took me 3 attempts. Then suddenly it all clicked into place.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 06, 2020, 10:26:09 PM
Isn't the Wire fucking great? I've been rewatching in quarantine as well, up to mid-season 4. Still loving it.

It's ridiculously good. Probably would never have got round to watching it if not for being stuck at home for weeks - it's one of those things that's been on my to-watch list for years.

Pseudopath

OK, Wireheads...I'll give it another try. That many people can't be wrong and I need a primo-level show to watch in the absence of Better Call Saul.

popcorn

The Wire is indeed as good as everyone says it is, but to those struggling with the first eps: just push through them. It isn't an easy opening but you'll pick it up as you carry on. I rewatched the first ep two or three times, desperate to understand what the fuck was going on before continuing, but in the end I just gave up and moved on. I was absolutely gripped by the end of the first series.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on May 07, 2020, 01:49:52 AM
It's about page 12 that it actually becomes clear, there's a link to a tweet of shitty dialogue, but then THE tweet. I too haven't seen this and barely heard of it, but when i saw that i had to go to Netflix immediately and find the scene in question and watch it on a proper telly. Over and over.

Quote from: gib on May 07, 2020, 09:45:33 AM
I was the same, it took me 3 attempts. Then suddenly it all clicked into place.

Quote from: Gregory Torso on May 07, 2020, 09:57:03 AM
It's ridiculously good. Probably would never have got round to watching it if not for being stuck at home for weeks - it's one of those things that's been on my to-watch list for years.

I really like how there are two different discussions happening in here, and it's not immediately apparent with any given post whether people are talking about having watching The Wire or reading the Afterlife thread on their to-do lists.

Dex Sawash

Monday, my wife decided we should finally watch Wire together after stopping me watching it alone years ago. 1st episode she cried for 2 hours about how sad it made her for the world and what a shit deal life was for the sort of people depicted in the show. STOP CRYING WE HAVE 50 MORE EPISODES

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 07, 2020, 01:11:10 PM
Monday, my wife decided we should finally watch Wire together after stopping me watching it alone years ago. 1st episode she cried for 2 hours about how sad it made her for the world and what a shit deal life was for the sort of people depicted in the show. STOP CRYING WE HAVE 50 MORE EPISODES

If that happened after the first episode, she might not physically survive the series.

Hand Solo

The town on Melee Island in Monkey Island is based on a real place in Germany called Rothenburg ob der Tauber:

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 08, 2020, 03:26:34 PM
Not sure why that post is in this topic but just to say Rothenberg ob der Tauber is a splendid place. I visited just after Christmas so fewer crowds, however it was -9 degrees, even colder down at the valley bottom where my guesthouse was located. The lake was frozen over and on New Years Eve everyone was messing about with fireworks on the city walls.

Did you find the rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I don't remember that particular quirk, no. I feel foolish.

Despite being a small town the city walls take near enough an hour to walk all the way around, as there are so many towers and naturally a lot of things to gawp at.

The classic shot above 'Plonlein' is a particular chocolate boxy part and I fucking love fachwerk, but the walls themselves feel sufficiently crumbly, crooked and old that they are even more charming. I wish I had have done the 'Nightwatchman's Tour'.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 07, 2020, 01:38:13 AM
Aaargh only watched 2 eps? You have to push through - it doesn't make anything easy for you, but it respects the audience enough to know that you'll figure it out.

Really, really, worth your time. Give it a try. Rewatch the first 2 eps and try to get through to ep 4 and see if you aren't intrigued.

It is genuinely a masterpiece. I won't bang on about it more than I have already, but it is up there with the Mountain Goats and Baseball as far as FerrisObsessionsTM are concerned. It's a terrific bit of telly, S3E06 is one of my favourite episodes/things of anything ever.

Have you ever watched Spiral (Engrenages)? It's like a Parisian The Wire. Really good.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 08, 2020, 04:14:37 PM
I don't remember that particular quirk, no. I feel foolish.

Despite being a small town the city walls take near enough an hour to walk all the way around, as there are so many towers and naturally a lot of things to gawp at.

The classic shot above 'Plonlein' is a particular chocolate boxy part and I fucking love fachwerk, but the walls themselves feel sufficiently crumbly, crooked and old that they are even more charming. I wish I had have done the 'Nightwatchman's Tour'.

Rothenberg is a spectacularly charming place. I visited it in full cynical mode and was won over within 30 seconds.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 08, 2020, 04:26:08 PM
Have you ever watched Spiral (Engrenages)? It's like a Parisian The Wire. Really good.

Never even heard of it, will take a look thanks!

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 08, 2020, 05:24:16 PM
Never even heard of it, will take a look thanks!

If its got disproportionate references to Roquefort and the state sanctioned price of baguettes it can fuck right off.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah but it also had a bent copper sign up a burner phone with the best pseudonym ever - Alan Melon.

studpuppet

Quote from: Hand Solo on May 08, 2020, 03:45:16 PM
The town on Melee Island in Monkey Island is based on a real place in Germany called Rothenburg ob der Tauber:

Not according to the creator: https://twitter.com/grumpygamer/status/577282909284929536

It is however the home town of these two clowns:

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 08, 2020, 06:12:11 PM
Yeah but it also had a bent copper sign up a burner phone with the best pseudonym ever - Alan Melon.

That's brilliant

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Just an odd/creepy coincidence that every single element of each individual building is identical, just in low-res for a computer game?

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 08, 2020, 06:12:11 PM

I'm still laughing at the idea of a crooked French copper using the pseudonym Alan Melon.

Like he was looking around the hooky corner store to come up with surname, and his eyes drifted to the fruit section...

Hand Solo

Quote from: studpuppet on May 08, 2020, 10:50:23 PM
Not according to the creator: https://twitter.com/grumpygamer/status/577282909284929536

Erm, no. It's obviously been rotoscoped! Ron Gilbert wouldn't have done it anyway, he's not an artist.. At best it would have been Steve Purcell but I doubt it. No, that's definitely where it came from, it's a definite copy. The ratios and everything are exact, it's madness to deny.

kalowski

Quote from: Hand Solo on May 09, 2020, 12:23:22 AM
Erm, no. It's obviously been rotoscoped! Ron Gilbert wouldn't have done it anyway, he's not an artist.. At best it would have been Steve Purcell but I doubt it. No, that's definitely where it came from, it's a definite copy. The ratios and everything are exact, it's madness to deny.
What are you talking about? It's just been filmed on an iPhone.

The Bumlord

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 08, 2020, 10:55:03 PM
Just an odd/creepy coincidence that every single element of each individual building is identical, just in low-res for a computer game?

It isn't. That is the photo with some tinkering.  Actual game below:

Hand Solo

Quote from: Utterdrivel on May 10, 2020, 01:29:10 AM
It isn't. That is the photo with some tinkering.  Actual game below:

Ah, it's a bit of a Mandela effect then. Someone noticed a slight similarity and pointed it out online then people went to town photoshopping until it looked like it was in the actualy game, causing the confusion

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 08, 2020, 10:57:00 PM
I'm still laughing at the idea of a crooked French copper using the pseudonym Alan Melon.

Like he was looking around the hooky corner store to come up with surname, and his eyes drifted to the fruit section...

This made me laugh a lot, but at first I couldn't help but read this as a french name like... Alain Mélon

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on May 10, 2020, 03:31:14 AM
but at first I couldn't help but read this as a french name like... Alain Mélon

Surely that's the joke?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on May 10, 2020, 03:31:14 AM
This made me laugh a lot, but at first I couldn't help but read this as a french name like... Alain Mélon

Un flic reference innit. His accomplice had his burner under the name Gilbert De Niro but that's not as funny.