Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:24:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pseudopath

Quote from: Dusty Substance on May 27, 2020, 10:40:13 PM
I always knew the U.S and U.K versions of comic book character known as Dennis The Menace were very similar characters and had started at around the same time but it was simply down to one of those pop culture coincidences that often happen, although made less likely in the early 50s due to lack of communication - But I just read that both characters made their comic book debut on EXACTLY THE SAME DAY! 12th March 1951. Fuck my hat.

What the actual fuck?! That's mental. I always assumed the Stateside Dennis was a late-70s-early 80s concoction. My head asplode.

Ferris

NoSleep

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 28, 2020, 03:12:19 AM
What the actual fuck?! That's mental. I always assumed the Stateside Dennis was a late-70s-early 80s concoction. My head asplode.

I remember seeing the US TV series during the 60's (apparently premiered in '59). I think they decided to change it from Dennis The Menace to "Just Dennis" for the UK at some point, but maybe not from the start. Or perhaps it was advertised as Just Dennis but they kept the original title in the opening credits.

Jockice

Quote from: Dusty Substance on May 27, 2020, 10:40:13 PM
This is something I'm sure would have been discussed at one point or another on CaB but I just found something that's properly astonished me.

I always knew the U.S and U.K versions of comic book character known as Dennis The Menace were very similar characters and had started at around the same time but it was simply down to one of those pop culture coincidences that often happen, although made less likely in the early 50s due to lack of communication - But I just read that both characters made their comic book debut on EXACTLY THE SAME DAY! 12th March 1951. Fuck my hat.

I have mentioned it on a similar thread before but don't blame you for posting it if you've only just found out. Because it is one of the best amazing things ever.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Jockice on May 28, 2020, 01:00:52 PM
I have mentioned it on a similar thread before but don't blame you for posting it if you've only just found out. Because it is one of the best amazing things ever.

I've known about it for ages too, but I think it's been mentioned recently on an AVGN video AND a Cinemassacre video which I presume is why people are mentioning it all of a sudden. 

C. S. Lewis, Aldous Huxley and JFK all died on the same day in 1963. Dunno if Oswald was involved in all three yet though.

pigamus

Quote from: Hand Solo on May 28, 2020, 01:20:33 PM
I've known about it for ages too, but I think it's been mentioned recently on an AVGN video AND a Cinemassacre video which I presume is why people are mentioning it all of a sudden. 

C. S. Lewis, Aldous Huxley and JFK all died on the same day in 1963. Dunno if Oswald was involved in all three yet though.

Whenever I see that date written down I always think it's wrong. "No, no. The 22nd was the day before."

Jockice

Andy147

On the subject of coincidences: David Nobbs (writer of the Reggie Perrin books/TV series) reckoned people often asked him if he thought Reggie Perrin faking his own death by leaving his clothes on a beach had inspired the MP John Stonehouse to do the same thing; or alternatively they'd ask if he'd taken the idea from Stonehouse. In fact it was neither - he wrote the novel; then Stonehouse faked his death; then the novel was published.

touchingcloth

The famous Lunch Atop a Skyscraper photo was taken during the construction of 30 Rockefeller Plaza.

When I was a kid, I thought Hannah Barbera was a woman. I still get that image when I see the phrase.

Phil_A

I was looking up an episode listing of the Goon Shows trying to find out what the earliest surviving episode is, and was quite surprised to discover that the during the period Milligan was absent in the third series due to his breakdown, he was replaced on a number of episodes...by Dick Emery. Typically very little of Series 3 survives so there's no way of experiencing what this Bizarro Universe version of the Goons would've been like, but there you have it - Dick Emery was an honorary Goon!

I was almost as gobsmacked as when I heard how Tony Hancock was briefly substituted on Hancock's Half Hour by Harry Secombe.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Phil_A on June 01, 2020, 06:25:24 PM
I was almost as gobsmacked as when I heard how Tony Hancock was briefly substituted on Hancock's Half Hour by Harry Secombe.

Or when Tony Hancock substituted John Le Mesurier on Joan Le Mesurier.

FredNurke

Quote from: Phil_A on June 01, 2020, 06:25:24 PM
I was looking up an episode listing of the Goon Shows trying to find out what the earliest surviving episode is, and was quite surprised to discover that the during the period Milligan was absent in the third series due to his breakdown, he was replaced on a number of episodes...by Dick Emery. Typically very little of Series 3 survives so there's no way of experiencing what this Bizarro Universe version of the Goons would've been like, but there you have it - Dick Emery was an honorary Goon!

There's an extant later episode in which Emery stands in for Secombe rather than Milligan, although the show was very different in the third series. At least the scripts survive.

Arguably the first episode of which a recording survives is actually Series 1 episode 9, since you can see a re-enactment of a bit of it in the 1951 film London Entertains; it includes the 'funniest joke ever' (which might actually have been by Larry Stephens and Jimmy Grafton rather than Milligan).

pigamus

touchingcloth

Chaplin and Hitler were born less than a week apart.

The Wolf's Lair was named because of a nickname Hitler had given himself: Wolf.

Hitler had a sister who lived until 1960.

Three great nephews are the last surviving people to have Hitler's father as an ancestor, and they're all childless and realistically beyond childbearing age. The last of the Hitlers.

Hitler.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Pseudopath on June 03, 2020, 01:54:46 AM
Say what you like about him

Err, thanks, I will. You don't need permission to say bad things about Hitler, you know.

touchingcloth

Err, no one's saying good things about Hitler, actually, I think you'll find.

NoSleep

studpuppet

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 02, 2020, 10:30:38 PM
Chaplin and Hitler were born less than a week apart.

The Wolf's Lair was named because of a nickname Hitler had given himself: Wolf.

Hitler had a sister who lived until 1960.

Three great nephews are the last surviving people to have Hitler's father as an ancestor, and they're all childless and realistically beyond childbearing age. The last of the Hitlers.

Hitler.

All that and you missed the most important fact which was that one of the great-nephews was called Brian.

Brian Hitler.

(And the three brothers made a pact with each other not to have kids).

petril

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Pseudopath on June 03, 2020, 01:54:46 AM
Say what you like about him, but he did kill Adolf Hitler.

Yeah but he also killed the man who killed Hitler.

Hand Solo

Hitler lived in Liverpool for a bit. So could be one of The Beatles' grandad.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: studpuppet on June 03, 2020, 09:10:11 AM
All that and you missed the most important fact which was that one of the great-nephews was called Brian.

(And the three brothers made a pact with each other not to have kids).

Blimey. Really? I find that really grim.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on June 03, 2020, 12:03:52 PM
Blimey. Really? I find that really grim.

The source I found was an interview with one of the brothers - Alexander - where he addressed the childless pact as being an urban legend, but where he also said that one of the brothers had been due to marry a Jewish woman until she discovered his full heritage and pulled out.

More interesting than the fact that one of the brothers is called Brian is that their family surname is Stuart-Houston, after their father William Hitler changed it after emigrating to the States. You might assume that was to avoid any association with his most infamous relative, but his son Alexander's middle name? Adolf. It's a bit like if Pol Pot tried to affect public opinion by changing his name to Ian Genocide.

Another great fact is where Bill Hitler was born before the move to the States and the name change: Toxteth.

touchingcloth

Stephen Trask - writer of Dreamgirls and Hedwig and the Angry Inch - was born Stephen Schwartz. Trask is his married surname, so this would seem to be a coincidence rather than a deliberate attempt to avoid confusion with his gravity-defying namesake.