Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:23:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 01, 2020, 11:57:31 AM
When I was a kid, I thought Hannah Barbera was a woman. I still get that image when I see the phrase.

Yes, me too, a woman with a very particular hairdo as well (probably influenced by my Year 2 teacher whose first name was Barbara).

I can't remember when I first found out it was two blokes (late teens, probably), but I do remember being very surprised.

Also, thanks for all the Hitler stuff, tc.  Fascinating.

Poobum

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 18, 2020, 03:25:04 PM
Morton-Tiokol - a name I have always associated with the Challenger disaster due to them being the manufacturers of the fateful O-rings - was formed in 1982 through a merger of Thiokol, a chemical and rocketry company, and Morton, a producer of salt for table and road use. After the disaster the companies de-merged and went back their separate ways, one producing rockets and the other producing salt.

which one tho?

NoSleep

Pseudopath

Quote from: Poobum on June 05, 2020, 09:48:44 PM
Succulent Chinese meal man is not only alive, but he's cashing in. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTkQrzgeSnk

WTF? I was convinced he died in the early-Noughties. Mandela Effect activated.

To be fair the Hungarian thing never checked out.

pigamus

madhair60

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Poobum on June 05, 2020, 09:48:44 PM
Succulent Chinese meal man is not only alive, but he's cashing in. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTkQrzgeSnk

Thanks for that, I thought he was dead too so it's great to see that he's doing so well.

touchingcloth

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 14, 2020, 10:46:09 PM
Fuck u, pal:

Excuse me for not trawling through 61 pages of a thread to see If someone else's hat has been fucked for the same thing!

Bronzy

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 03, 2020, 07:15:49 PMAnother great fact is where Bill Hitler was born before the move to the States and the name change: Toxteth.

Didn't he get the record for world's stickiest bogey?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 15, 2020, 06:37:37 AM
Excuse me for not trawling through 61 pages of a thread to see If someone else's hat has been fucked for the same thing!

Not excused.

Psmith

They used to use canaries down the mines to test the air.And the last time they did it was in 1986. Nineteeneightysix FFS! More awful than amazing.

bgmnts

On a school trip to the Big Pit in Blaenafon, we all got to lower our own canary into the mine and whoever's suffocated last got a Cadbury's Creme Egg.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on June 15, 2020, 09:04:04 AM
Didn't he get the record for world's stickiest bogey?

Every time there's a Young Ones reference i let out a little cheer.

SteveDave

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 13, 2020, 07:12:08 PM
Thanks for that, I thought he was dead too so it's great to see that he's doing so well.

He also stars in this music video with shed rock band The Chats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3jAJHRW_Yo

touchingcloth

Quote from: bgmnts on June 16, 2020, 02:50:24 AM
On a school trip to the Big Pit in Blaenafon, we all got to lower our own canary into the mine and whoever's suffocated last got a Cadbury's Creme Egg.

You're getting it mixed up with Cadbury World. You had to dunk a canary in the chocolate river, and the first drowning got a coal egg.

Not amazing by any stretch, but is it genuinely a 'convention' to say "[number] minutes past [number]" (e.g. "4 minutes past 12") when the minute hand doesn't fall on 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, or 30 (and when it does you can say "5 past 12" or "10 past 12" etc.)?

Apparently, my saying "4 past 12" is "confusing" and "anyone" hearing that would call me out on it. Wondering since I just got a mini lecture about it.

touchingcloth

Quote from: His Name Is Death on June 18, 2020, 12:10:26 AM
Not amazing by any stretch, but is it genuinely a 'convention' to say "[number] minutes past [number]" (e.g. "4 minutes past 12") when the minute hand doesn't fall on 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, or 30 (and when it does you can say "5 past 12" or "10 past 12" etc.)?

Apparently, my saying "4 past 12" is "confusing" and "anyone" hearing that would call me out on it. Wondering since I just got a mini lecture about it.

I think "4 past 12" is probably understandable enough to most people, but "4 past 4" would sound odd to my ears in a way that "5 past 5" or "10 past 10" wouldn't.

I'd probably just round up to 5 past 12, but if for some reason the fact that it was 4 past was crucial I'd go with "twelve oh four", I think.

Whether it's a convention or not probably depends who you're used to listening to. With the year 2008, for example, I'd always go with "two thousand and eight", yet on University Challenge Paxman goes with "twenty oh eight", which jars with me.

Ferris

Juneteenth is the announcement of federal troops enforcing the emancipation proclamation in Texas.

The announcement was made from a house that sounds like my football team (albeit said by someone without their false teeth in).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashton_Villa

Icehaven

olliebean

Quote from: icehaven on June 19, 2020, 05:36:46 PM
The Linda McCartney range of vegetarian food still exists.

Yes, last month I ordered a cheap bag of mini veggie sausage rolls to have as snacks and they got substituted with two boxes of her sausage rolls. They're okay, but the filling is essentially just soya and onion, so they're not what you'd call flavourful.

Sebastian Cobb

That surprises me a bit; one of the reasons I know they're still a thing is because the sausages seem to be quite well received on here when vegetarian chat crops up.

Paul Calf

Richmond meatless Irish sausages are much nicer than Linda's overpriced bangers.

Ferris