Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:27:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-watched US comedy Rules of Engagement and I've discovered two things I never knew.

1. Oliver Hudson's mother and father are Goldie Hawn & Kurt Russell

2. David Spade is reportedly worth $60 million dollars

$60 million!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Special K on June 29, 2020, 09:58:34 PM
Re-watched US comedy Rules of Engagement and I've discovered two things I never knew.

2. David Spade is reportedly worth $60 million dollars

$60 million!

You've watched it twice but haven't found out it's shit yet?

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 29, 2020, 10:02:52 PM
You've watched it twice but haven't found out it's shit yet?

David Spade has some good one liners. It's easy on the brain watching.

mjwilson

Quote from: bgmnts on June 24, 2020, 03:31:38 PM
This is true, I should clarify that it rained all over Pangaea for 2 mil years.

I don't want to be the [citation needed] guy but how is it possible that we know that?

NoSleep

touchingcloth

Quote from: mjwilson on June 30, 2020, 08:55:47 PM
I don't want to be the [citation needed] guy but how is it possible that we know that?

I don't think it rained constantly all over Pangaea for two millions years, but bgmnts is probably talking about the Carnian Pluvial Event, which was an extended period where the climate tended to be much wetter than at other points in history. You could probably compare it to ice ages, where it's never true that the entire planet was a big block of ice, but much more of it was much colder than at other periods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnian_Pluvial_Event

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03699-7

The Nature piece gives a good overview of the evidence for the widespread wetness, but it seems to hinge on a) soils and sediments in rich layers which point to a wetter climate, and b) extinctions which are plausibly related to a wet climate. Wiki suggests that the "widespread presence of amber" is another line of evidence, but I haven't found a good summary of why that might be.

phantom_power

Kiev is actually pronounced Keev and not Key-Ev like I thought. At least according to the Winds of Change podcast

NoSleep

sirhenry

touchingcloth

NoSleep

Quote from: sirhenry on July 05, 2020, 10:16:43 AM

Clearly written by an American, I would guess, from their attempt at writing down Estuary English. Americans really find it hard to copy the glottal stop on T so they've written it pretty much the way they try to imitate it (e.g. snor'een = snortin'). I guess they don't hear that phoneme so clearly.

On the other hand, I've mentioned before that Americans like to pronounce "solder" as "sodder". But I've recently started to notice that they do manage to slip in the missing "L", but it's at lightning speed. I can't manage to add this superfast "L" in imitation; it always comes out as "sodder".

touchingcloth

^ "mo'" for "more" is a giveaway, as are the Brummified "oi" for "eye" sounds, which Americans overdo for Southern accents, as it doesn't really feature in Southern accents in any meaningful way. The closest you'd get from a Brit's lips is probably an exaggerated "stroike a loight", but I half reckon that might have its genesis in Dick Van Dyke's turn in Mary Poppins.

Also "kep' insistin'" - I cant imagine a native speaker dropping that particular T because it makes the words harder to say, and the glottal stop after kept would only come before a consonant - "he kep' badgerin' me". I'd never write it like that even if I was trying to convey an accent, as it's a very minor stop in all of the accents I can think of.

kalowski

It's a weird amalgamation of Yorkshire (tha') and Brummie (Oi)

NoSleep

I think it's more of a mishearing of Estuary but probably has few other regions inadvertently amalgamated into a generic, non-posh english accent for Americans.

John Ennis does a classic amalgamated non-posh english on occasions in Mr Show. There's a bunch of bad english accents here, his is the comedic best @1:40:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNzYqzHmJss

popcorn

I brought this up in another thread, but that reminds me of how, in Love Will Tear Us Apart, Ian Curtis sings "is my timing that flawed" but pronounces with an R as "floored". I think this is a giveaway that consciously or unconsciously he was trying to do an American accent, because Brits tend to over-pronounce Rs in things when we do American accents, often incorrectly - so "mother and farther". An American would pronounce it "flawed" without an R.

The Lurker

touchingcloth

George White

Quote from: Special K on June 29, 2020, 09:58:34 PM

Russell's his step/adopted father.

But his biological father, Bill Hudson - one of the Hudson Brothers, a bubblegum pop/Marx Brothers-ish comedy troupe, who had two TV shows - both cohosted with British stars - the Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show, with Rod and Emu in one of their US sojourns, and ATV's Bonkers, Lew Grade's attempt to catch Muppet Show lightning in a live-action bottle, hosted by Bob Monkhouse, with the Hudsons as his comedy foils. The latter was aired only four episodes in the UK, thanks to the ITV strike. In the UK, Bob got first billing, in the US - the Hudsons.

Gregory Torso

Americans pronounce "buoy" as "boo-ey". I heard this on a podcast a while ago and my hat was all "um excuse me i did not consent to this" WHY, americans? that's so stupid, and you can't even do the joke about "gulls and buoys" now. Even taking into account their other demonstrably, objectively, court-proved, officially wrong pronunciations of words like "emu", "solder" and "paedophile", BOO EY

I think this is the worst things that an americans has ever did.

FredNurke

It's the older pronunciation. The British pronunciation is the innovation.

That should fuck a few hats.

Gregory Torso

Well I think they should keep up with how to properly say the word "buoy" without sounding like a six year old child looking at a dog poo.

touchingcloth

The Lonely Island's I'm on a Boat has the lyric "fuck trees I climb boo-eys, mother fucker", which always takes me out of the song:

[url] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU

One thing which fucked my hat was learning that Americans drop the second "i" from the way they spell as well as pronounce "aluminium", unlike with nuclear gaining an extra u but only in the pronunciation, or aeroplane being a whole different word if you're not the Chilli Peppers. 

sirhenry

Quote from: NoSleep on July 05, 2020, 01:27:13 PM
Clearly written by an American, I would guess...
A Canadian, so close.
Also not the brightest spark (despite writing/drawing/publishing the 6000 page comic that dragged independent comics into the world of financial success[nb]yes, it's why the Teenager Mutant Ninja Turtles exist, among many, many others[/nb]) - his first signing tour in the UK was delayed by a week as he didn't realise you needed a passport to go from Canada to the UK.

sirhenry

Quote from: FredNurke on July 08, 2020, 03:13:04 PM
It's the older pronunciation. The British pronunciation is the innovation.

That should fuck a few hats.
Same with 'autumn'. The British used to pronounce it 'fall' until the Romantics came along and poncified it.

touchingcloth

Are boy/boo-ey and autumn/fall just examples of U and non-U in the way that, say, napkins and serviettes are?

Sebastian Cobb

Even centrists seem to be agreeing this is shite, finally some unity!

studpuppet

Quote from: Gregory Torso on July 08, 2020, 02:18:55 PM
Americans pronounce "buoy" as "boo-ey". I heard this on a podcast a while ago and my hat was all "um excuse me i did not consent to this" WHY, americans? that's so stupid, and you can't even do the joke about "gulls and buoys" now. Even taking into account their other demonstrably, objectively, court-proved, officially wrong pronunciations of words like "emu", "solder" and "paedophile", BOO EY

I think this is the worst things that an americans has ever did.

Wait until you hear how they pronounce 'Bowie'.

Twonty Gostelow

JesusAndYourBush

They pronounce yolk oddly as well.

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 09, 2020, 12:42:11 AM
Another alternative US pronunciation that's odd, the second sound sample here https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/duodenum

Oh yes!   Doo ohd'nm!