Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:02:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

It makes me feel like I can just about understand another language, but even that feels like a dodgy thing to say.

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on July 29, 2020, 12:42:36 AM
It makes me feel like I can just about understand another language, but even that feels like a dodgy thing to say.

It's not - the whole point of a pidgin is to simplify language to the point where people with no common tongue can communicate, and you are able to experience as little friction as possible when chatting with a Nigerian man to buy some slaves from him.

They're usually a hodgepodge of languages, like "sabi" here probably deriving from Portuguese "saber" - to know:

Dr Stella Immanuel Hydroxychloroquine video: Facts you fit no sabi about dis drug for covid video of Houston Texas doctor wey Facebook, Twitter Periscope delete

If it's racist to be able to read the common languages of slave traders then lock me up and throw away the key, or at least sell it to the highest bidder.

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 29, 2020, 02:46:06 AM
If it's racist to be able to read the common languages of slave traders then lock me up and throw away the key

That really made me laugh. Very funny.

phantom_power

I just feel like I am watching an episode of The Expanse, wid dem belta lodas

Gulftastic

When Maurice Gibb was buried, they put a DVD box set of Father Ted in the coffin with him.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 30, 2020, 11:28:57 AM
When Maurice Gibb was buried, they put a DVD box set of Father Ted in the coffin with him.

I think it was the Father Ted script book.

It's only words.

dissolute ocelot

William Burroughs was reportedly buried with a loaded gun. Which seems an unnecessary risk in view of earlier incidents, but he's not shot anyone since his death.

Sonny_Jim

I've only just realised that Captain Harris and Proctor from the Police academy movies are named that way because they are arseholes.

rue the polywhirl

Expected Adam Driver to be surprisingly young, born in the late 90s summat like that, only to find that he is born in 83 which makes him a massive older - Kilo Xennial.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on August 02, 2020, 06:07:36 PM
Expected Adam Driver to be surprisingly young, born in the late 90s summat like that, only to find that he is born in 83 which makes him a massive older - Kilo Xennial.
The Adam Driver fact that I'm sure most people know is that he used to be in the marines. He actually left the marines after just over 2 years without troubling any of the USA's enemies, invalided out due to a mountain biking accident, got his first acting job in 2009, and was fucking everywhere by 2012.

touchingcloth

I tend to judge an actor's quality not by the quality of their acting but by how much they make me laugh when hosting SNL. Adam Driver is an excellent actor.

Poobum

Learned this earlier this year writing an essay on Foster's Rule, but re-remembered it reading The King Must Die. Mammoths lingered on until around 6000 years ago, making them contemporaries of the Minoan civilization. It still amazes me. One of those facts I double check to make sure I haven't made it up, like the blind South Korean winning an Olympic gold medal at archery.   https://news.psu.edu/story/419291/2016/08/01/research/st-paul-island-mammoths-most-accurately-dated-prehistoric

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Poobum on August 11, 2020, 07:23:58 PM
Learned this earlier this year writing an essay on Foster's Rule, but re-remembered it reading The King Must Die. Mammoths lingered on until around 6000 years ago, making them contemporaries of the Minoan civilization. It still amazes me. One of those facts I double check to make sure I haven't made it up, like the blind South Korean winning an Olympic gold medal at archery.   https://news.psu.edu/story/419291/2016/08/01/research/st-paul-island-mammoths-most-accurately-dated-prehistoric
According to Wikipedia there were some on Wrangel Island north of Russia as late as 3700-4000 years ago; this is well after the first Egyptian pyramid (around 4600 years ago). A lot of megafauna went extinct around the end of the last ice age 11700 years ago, which still is the blink of an eye in geological terms.

Annie Labuntur

Aphids are born pregnant, and adult aphids can give birth to several babies every day. It's absolutely disgusting what goes on these days.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on August 12, 2020, 06:58:56 PM
Aphids are born pregnant, and adult aphids can give birth to several babies every day. It's absolutely disgusting what goes on these days.

And who will end up paying for them? Muggins here.
We used to be a great nation.

ProvanFan

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 24, 2020, 11:04:36 PM
Shí Shì Shī Shì Shī Shì, Shì Shī, Shì Shí Shí Shī.Shì Shí Shí Shì Shì Shì Shī. Shí Shí, Shì Shí Shī Shì Shì. Shì Shí, Shì Shī Shì Shì Shì. Shì Shì Shì Shí Shī, Shì Shǐ Shì, Shǐ Shì Shí Shī Shì Shì. Shì Shí Shì Shí Shī Shī, Shì Shí Shì. Shí Shì Shī, Shì Shǐ Shì Shì Shí Shì. Shí Shì Shì, Shì Shǐ Shì Shí Shì Shí Shī. Shí Shí, Shǐ Shí Shì Shí Shī, Shí Shí Shí Shī Shī. Shì Shì Shì Shì.

You've just completed Strider

Dr Rock

Caged-for-life, hook-handed funnyman Abu Hamza used to work as a bouncer in a Soho strip bar.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 14, 2020, 06:11:16 PM
Caged-for-life, hook-handed funnyman Abu Hamza used to work as a bouncer in a Soho strip bar.

How do you think he went (half) blind.

kalowski

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 14, 2020, 06:11:16 PM
Please call him "the boss-eyed Muslim cleric with a hook for a hand who incites racial hatred".

Cerys

Of course you can.  Simply loop an elastic band in a figure of eight around it and your nob, and off you go.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Cerys on August 15, 2020, 12:58:45 AM
Of course you can.  Simply loop an elastic band in a figure of eight around it and your nob, and off you go.

Around Abu Hamza and my knob? Would he mind?

Cerys

Marner and Me

Did someone do that thing where you're asleep and tickle your face with a feather duster?

pigamus

touchingcloth

Fr.Bigley