Author Topic: "F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out  (Read 170259 times)

icehaven

• Marmalade's reared it's head in every course
It makes me feel like I can just about understand another language, but even that feels like a dodgy thing to say.

touchingcloth

• You wanna plack the rick, you ha.
It makes me feel like I can just about understand another language, but even that feels like a dodgy thing to say.

It’s not - the whole point of a pidgin is to simplify language to the point where people with no common tongue can communicate, and you are able to experience as little friction as possible when chatting with a Nigerian man to buy some slaves from him.

They’re usually a hodgepodge of languages, like “sabi” here probably deriving from Portuguese “saber” - to know:

Dr Stella Immanuel Hydroxychloroquine video: Facts you fit no sabi about dis drug for covid video of Houston Texas doctor wey Facebook, Twitter Periscope delete

If it’s racist to be able to read the common languages of slave traders then lock me up and throw away the key, or at least sell it to the highest bidder.

If it’s racist to be able to read the common languages of slave traders then lock me up and throw away the key

That really made me laugh. Very funny.

I just feel like I am watching an episode of The Expanse, wid dem belta lodas

When Maurice Gibb was buried, they put a DVD box set of Father Ted in the coffin with him.

When Maurice Gibb was buried, they put a DVD box set of Father Ted in the coffin with him.

I think it was the Father Ted script book.

It's only words.

William Burroughs was reportedly buried with a loaded gun. Which seems an unnecessary risk in view of earlier incidents, but he's not shot anyone since his death.

I've only just realised that Captain Harris and Proctor from the Police academy movies are named that way because they are arseholes.

rue the polywhirl

• eight lives left
Expected Adam Driver to be surprisingly young, born in the late 90s summat like that, only to find that he is born in 83 which makes him a massive older - Kilo Xennial.

Expected Adam Driver to be surprisingly young, born in the late 90s summat like that, only to find that he is born in 83 which makes him a massive older - Kilo Xennial.
The Adam Driver fact that I'm sure most people know is that he used to be in the marines. He actually left the marines after just over 2 years without troubling any of the USA's enemies, invalided out due to a mountain biking accident, got his first acting job in 2009, and was fucking everywhere by 2012.

touchingcloth

• You wanna plack the rick, you ha.
I tend to judge an actor's quality not by the quality of their acting but by how much they make me laugh when hosting SNL. Adam Driver is an excellent actor.

Learned this earlier this year writing an essay on Foster's Rule, but re-remembered it reading The King Must Die. Mammoths lingered on until around 6000 years ago, making them contemporaries of the Minoan civilization. It still amazes me. One of those facts I double check to make sure I haven't made it up, like the blind South Korean winning an Olympic gold medal at archery.   https://news.psu.edu/story/419291/2016/08/01/research/st-paul-island-mammoths-most-accurately-dated-prehistoric

Tags: