Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:15:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: olliebean on September 27, 2020, 10:55:08 PM
Maybe some of them look like that, but I don't think most of them do. Judging by the pics I can find on Google that are high enough resolution to zoom in and get a decent look at the teeth, anyway. And certainly not the two I have in my house now.

Most look like this?

It's not quite as clear as the image but they both look to me like they'll only cut one way.

phantom_power

yes that is true. It is always easier to pull a saw stuck in wood than it is to push

Paul Calf

Saws are generally either push-cut or pull-cut, although saws that cut in both directions do exits. They're used for different applications and if...oh, look, I'm not Busby:

https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/handsaws/push-stroke-saws-vs-pull-stroke-saws

QuoteEach type of saw has its own particular set of characteristics.

Saws that cut on the push stroke

Typically, if the teeth point away from the handle, the saw cuts on the push stroke.       

Typically, if the teeth point away from the handle, the saw cuts on the push stroke.

Generally, push stroke saws are designed for cutting through tougher materials. This is because it's easier to exert pressure on the saw when pushing it rather than pulling it.

Examples of push stroke saws:

Hand saws for wood
Compass saws
Floorboard saws
Hacksaws

Saws that cut on the pull stroke

If the teeth point back towards the handle, the saw cuts on the pull stroke       

Typically, if the teeth point back towards the handle, the saw cuts on the pull stroke

Generally, pull saws have thinner blades which are designed for making more delicate and precise cuts. As well as this, the motion of pulling the saw towards you rather than pushing it gives the user more control over each stroke of the saw. This makes it easier to cut in a straight line and achieve a neat finish.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 27, 2020, 10:58:29 PM
Most look like this?

It's not quite as clear as the image but they both look to me like they'll only cut one way.
In the past, you used to need a Rip Saw to cut along the grain, or a Crosscut Saw to cut across it. The still both had a flat leading edge and a sloping trailing edge and had 'set' teeth (alternately angled to each side), but they differed in where they were sharpened. A Rip tooth is sharpened across the tip to form a chisel profile and a Crosscut tooth is sharpened along the straight edge to form a knife profile.

These days it's more common to get combination or general purpose saws that have tooth profiles that are sharpened to do both tasks, either on alternate teeth or by using hybrid sharpening patterns.

Hacksaw blades for cutting metal are similar to rip saw blades, but with a much higher tooth count, smaller teeth and they are hardened (though there are two types - High Carbon Steel for general purpose work, and High Speed Steel which last longer and are intended for hard materials like stainless steel, which will blunt a HCS blade very quickly).

Most saws made for Western markets do have  tooth profiles designed to cut on the 'push' stroke, and clear chips or swarf from the kerf on the 'pull' stroke. This is to allow you to 'lean into' the cut and use your bodyweight to push the cutting teeth thorugh the material. One exception is bow saws made for rough cutting green or large pieces of wood. They have cutting teeth in both directions, as they were originally designed for large saws that had a handle at each end to allow two people to share the work:

Another exception is blades on some padsaws/ keyhole saws, and power jigsaws and hacksaws/reciprocating saws. They have teeth profiles set to cut on the 'pull' stroke like Japanese saws. This helps make them more controllable when the blade is only fixed to the saw at one end (and moving at high speeds in power saws).
Reciprocating saw blade:

Jigsaw blades:

The main reason behind the difference in Eastern and Western practices is down to the native woods. Western saws developed for cutting harder native woods like Oak, Beech and Walnut, where being able to lean your bodyweight into the cut was an advantage. In Japan softwoods like Pine, Cedar and Cypress are more common - these require less effort to cut, so more importance was placed on accuracy (they also have much thinner blades for this reason too, which would be far too flexible to be used in a 'push' saw). The Ryoba saw in particular is double sided, allowing both Rip and Crosscut blades to be combined into one tool:

olliebean

All that is more than I'm ever likely to need to know about saws, so I'll bow to your greater knowledge.

Brian Freeze

Loofahs aren't related to sea sponges and don't even live under water.

They are part of the cucumber family.

Gonna try and grow us some next year now we know this, with our fucked hats.

"Phoebe Bridgers" is a completely different person to Phoebe Waller Bridge.

Sebastian Cobb

Time Out magazine started as a city-wide radical publication.

From this thread of great shots of London graffiti it featured.
https://twitter.com/piercepenniless/status/1312696269278793728

MojoJojo

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 28, 2020, 09:17:04 AM

Saws that cut on the push stroke

Well, that clears that up.

Sebastian Cobb

When radio was emerging there was a daytime embargo on news reporting to protect the newspaper industry.

touchingcloth

Quote from: MojoJojo on October 05, 2020, 03:36:24 PM
Well, that clears that up.

No, it's the pull stroke which clears the mess away on a push-to-cut saw.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Phil_A

Simon Munnery had a pre-comedy career as a games programmer on the ZX81, Speccy and Vic-20. One of these games apparently incensed Jeff Minter so much he resolved to take up programming as he was convinced anything he could do would be better. Minter also never shuts up about this.

https://usvsth3m.tumblr.com/post/89063839743/before-he-was-the-league-against-tedium-simon

studpuppet

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966), is actually 'The Good, The Ugly, The Bad' in the original Italian titles, and Eli Wallach comes before Lee Van Cleef in the credits. This had always confused me because Van Cleef is ugly as well as bad, and Wallach is bad as well as ugly ('ugly' as used in the sense of 'mean' in both cases). Doesn't help that in Italian you can use 'brutto' to mean 'bad' as well.

http://annyas.com/screenshots/updates/good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-1966-sergio-leone/

bgmnts

I always took ugly to mean pathetic and lowly, rather than mean. Van Cleef is proper evil.

dissolute ocelot

Expressions such as IOU, K9, FX, NRG[nb]I owe you, canine, effects, energy[/nb] that shorten words/phrases based on the sounds of letters (or numbers) are known as gramograms.

EDIT: apparently the message board software changes M+eight to "mate" because it hates gramograms.

touchingcloth

Quote from: jamiefairlie on October 08, 2020, 05:44:21 AM
A female health screening for very light breasts.

I almost made the joke that it's having a nipple sliced off.

Icehaven

Comic Sans is widely considered to be one of the easiest fonts for Dyslexics to read so is used in a lot of teaching material. It does sort of explain its continuing ubiquity (and possibly make you feel bad if you're one of those people who curses inwardly and outwardly every time you see it. Ahem.)

seepage

^ that's weird, I would have thought it would be a font with serifs, because the extra detail would help distinguish the letters.

Icehaven

Quote from: seepage on October 08, 2020, 02:28:25 PM
^ that's weird, I would have thought it would be a font with serifs, because the extra detail would help distinguish the letters.

Yeah apparently it's something to do with the spacing between the letters. There's other fonts like Calibri and Arial that are seemingly good too, although I don't know how much of that is just that they're generally quite clear and easier to read for everyone.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: icehaven on October 08, 2020, 03:50:24 PM
Yeah apparently it's something to do with the spacing between the letters. There's other fonts like Calibri and Arial that are seemingly good too, although I don't know how much of that is just that they're generally quite clear and easier to read for everyone.
Neat typography or handwriting is often the precise opposite of readable (there's lots of examples of beautiful calligraphy where m, n, r, w all look like identical zig-zags). San-serif fonts and good-sized spaces between the letters are supposed to make it easier. Serif fonts often make it hard to separate letters, which can can cause problems with confusing letter combinations like rn/m. Apparently some dyslexic people are better with fonts that look more like handwriting, which puts Comic Sans at an advantage. There are special fonts for dyslexics: the key is to ensure the letters all look clearly different, and dyslexics often have trouble differentiating mirrored letters such as b and d, so a good font will distinguish them too. Arial, Comic Sans, and Trebuchet seem the default recommendations if you don't have anything better; they're also recommended for people with poor vision who may have trouble differentiating letters in other fonts. But we can all agree Papyrus is shit.

touchingcloth

I can see that it might be suggested to people making educational materials on a budget as it's available on every computer in the world. However I would bet that the proportion of people who use that font as a conscious decision based on readability by dyslexics is vastly outweighed than that of people thinking "lol, COMIC! Like a funny!"

daf

Thursday

I recently discovered you can use a cafetiere to froth some hot milk for homemade cappuccinos and lattes.

George White

Stella Street is a spinoff from CITV's Gilbert's Fridge.
Cornwell carrying over Len McMonotony. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjTUsntngTg

Norton Canes

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: studpuppet on October 06, 2020, 02:25:25 PM
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966), is actually 'The Good, The Ugly, The Bad' in the original Italian titles, and Eli Wallach comes before Lee Van Cleef in the credits. This had always confused me because Van Cleef is ugly as well as bad, and Wallach is bad as well as ugly ('ugly' as used in the sense of 'mean' in both cases). Doesn't help that in Italian you can use 'brutto' to mean 'bad' as well.

http://annyas.com/screenshots/updates/good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-1966-sergio-leone/

As referred to in Christopher Frayling's excellent biography Something To Do With Death, Leone himself explained that the title actually covers all three, in that they all have traits of good, bad and ugly.