Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:45:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: daf on October 08, 2020, 04:54:32 PM
Just realised you can change the fonts on here!

I knew we could but never do, probably as it would be annoying. Though of course now I'm tempted to do it all the time.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 10, 2020, 08:40:35 PM
I knew we could but never do, probably as it would be annoying. Though of course now I'm tempted to do it all the time.

M8t, it's handy if you want to annoy Barry.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

beanheadmcginty

Didn't old Dave name himself Bowie after Jim Bowie, inventor of the Bowie knife? If so, then Nash is spot on there.

olliebean

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 10, 2020, 10:56:21 PM
M8t, it's handy if you want to annoy Barry.

Matet? What's that, a group of musicians who are all friends? Wouldn't M8y be better?

Paul Calf

I don't know that thios is an OTI0JR or a FMHIDKT, but the 'rein' in 'reindeer' doesn't refer to the reins that are used to control domesticated deer. In fact, it's from a Norse word meaning 'pure' or 'virginal'.

And reindeer and caribou are different names for the same species.

Gulftastic

In 1982, annoyed that network announcers often did not refer to him by his nickname "Marvelous", Marvin Hagler legally changed his name to "Marvelous Marvin Hagler"

touchingcloth

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 11, 2020, 01:57:26 PM
I don't know that thios is an OTI0JR or a FMHIDKT, but the 'rein' in 'reindeer' doesn't refer to the reins that are used to control domesticated deer. In fact, it's from a Norse word meaning 'pure' or 'virginal'.

And reindeer and caribou are different names for the same species.

I knew the caribou thing. The reindeers not being named for the reins that are used to rein them in thing is proper Fuck Ma Hat stuff, though.

JesusAndYourBush

touchingcloth

Did the man himself used to pronounce his first name as "zavid", or does Adam Buxton do it that way for some other reason?

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 11, 2020, 05:45:15 PM
The man himself begs to differ...

https://vocaroo.com/12iAqsONaY9K

Yes, I know how Bowie says it (despite what his No 1 fan Gervais thinks), so I was amused that Nash had an odd third pronunciation for it that I'd never heard before.
I didn't know that's how the inventor of the Bowie knife pronounces his own name, as beanheadmcginty said. Still seems really odd for Nash to be saying it like that after all this time.

NoSleep

Quote from: Ptolemy Ptarmigan on October 11, 2020, 06:35:32 PM
Yes, I know how Bowie says it (despite what his No 1 fan Gervais thinks), so I was amused that Nash had an odd third pronunciation for it that I'd never heard before.

I've heard this pronunciation once before. On Negativland's Escape From Noise album, where they sample this denunciation:

https://youtu.be/l0fP3YqmjfA

touchingcloth

He's thinking of buoys.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: NoSleep on October 11, 2020, 06:52:32 PM
I've heard this pronunciation once before. On Negativland's Escape From Noise album, where they sample this denunciation:

https://youtu.be/l0fP3YqmjfA

Ha. Also Cyndi Looper and Jack Cougar Mellencamp. Mispronounces Patty Smyth's surname as well.

Apart from that he makes some good points.

Spudgun

There's also this (nine seconds in): https://youtu.be/RT8gGEdTbAs

beanheadmcginty

kalowski

George Clinton says it on P-Funk:
QuoteThen I was down south and I heard some funk with some main ingredients
Like Doobie Brothers, Blue Magic, David Boo-wie.

studpuppet

Quote from: kalowski on October 11, 2020, 10:13:08 PM
George Clinton says it on P-Funk:

I seem to recall Nile Rodgers saying it like that in older interviews as well. Definitely a US thing.

phantom_power

Didn't Bowie say he didn't care how people pronounced it and he was never sure himself? Though it is clearly Bo-Ee or the Zowie joke wouldn't work

Paul Calf

touchingcloth

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 12, 2020, 11:01:18 AM
'Zowie' doesn't have to rhyme with 'Bowie' though.

Also any pronunciation of Bowie can be made for Zowie.

phantom_power

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 12, 2020, 11:02:59 AM
Also any pronunciation of Bowie can be made for Zowie.

Well presumably Zowie is a Kerazy spelling of Zoe, which is the only way the joke really works.

touchingcloth

Quote from: phantom_power on October 12, 2020, 01:03:52 PM
Well presumably Zowie is a Kerazy spelling of Zoe, which is the only way the joke really works.

What's the joke? Just that it rhymes slash is spelled the same as the surname? And I always thought that Zowie was the Duncan one which directs films, so having them in my head as a man I don't think I've ever mentally linked it to Zoe. Until this new boo-ee evidence I've pronounced Zowie and Bowie to rhyme wi someone saying "wow-ee!"

pigamus

Zoe Bowie would be an aural joke, but changing the spelling makes it visual as well.

Paul Calf

pigamus

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 12, 2020, 01:52:12 PM
Zoe Bow would work. Zöe Bowie would also work.

I think people tend to leave the diaeresis out nowadays, and it goes over the E, not the O.