Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:13:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 12, 2020, 01:15:27 PM
What's the joke? Just that it rhymes slash is spelled the same as the surname? And I always thought that Zowie was the Duncan one which directs films, so having them in my head as a man I don't think I've ever mentally linked it to Zoe. Until this new boo-ee evidence I've pronounced Zowie and Bowie to rhyme wi someone saying "wow-ee!"

Not so much a joke I suppose as something amusing. Zoe Bowie rhymes. Zowie looks like Bowie. It was only a placeholder until he chose his own name apparently, and he chose Duncan for some reason

Cuellar

pigamus

Quote from: phantom_power on October 12, 2020, 02:13:21 PM
Not so much a joke I suppose as something amusing. Zoe Bowie rhymes. Zowie looks like Bowie. It was only a placeholder until he chose his own name apparently, and he chose Duncan for some reason

So it's actually two jokes - the fact that it's a stupid rhyme and the fact that it wasn't even given to a girl.

I always thought the "joke" was that the two names were spelt similarly but pronounced differently, i.e. to rhyme with Cow-y Showy.

NoSleep

beanheadmcginty

Didn't Dave have some sort of agreement with Marc Bolan, who named his own son Rolan?

touchingcloth

Fr.Bigley

touchingcloth

Hand Solo

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 12, 2020, 05:37:10 PM
Josh Gad named his son for his favourite guitar tuning.

Busted! He has two daughters.

They both call him by Davy Graham's hybrid tuning which marries middle-Eastern and Celtic musical scales, a name of that kind.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Hand Solo on October 12, 2020, 06:15:32 PM
Busted! He has two daughters.

They both call him by Davy Graham's hybrid tuning which marries middle-Eastern and Celtic musical scales, a name of that kind.

I wasn't talking about his daughters, who quite frankly are shit, but about his son.

Menu

Quote from: phantom_power on October 12, 2020, 02:13:21 PM

Ha ha! Is that true? That's like Dave Clifton choosing 'Dave Clifton' as his stage name.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Darles Chickens on October 12, 2020, 02:51:33 PM
I always thought the "joke" was that the two names were spelt similarly but pronounced differently, i.e. to rhyme with Cow-y Showy.

Within the last few years I've heard someone on TV pronounce both names differently, but I can't remember which way round.

olliebean

We are closer in time to the last Tyrannosaur than the first Tyrannosaur was to the last Stegosaur.

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on October 13, 2020, 03:47:48 PM
We are closer in time to the last Tyrannosaur than the first Tyrannosaur was to the last Stegosaur.

I think I posted that in here once. Properly incredible, right?

bgmnts

Is this a testament to the staggering longevity of the dinosaur or the intense development speed of the ape?

Paul Calf

touchingcloth

Quote from: bgmnts on October 13, 2020, 04:26:47 PM
Is this a testament to the staggering longevity of the dinosaur or the intense development speed of the ape?

To my mind it's both and neither, and it's mainly a testament to just how old the planet is. In one way I know full well that things move slowly, because things like evolution and tectonic drift are things which happen to slowly for me to see with my own eyes and yet I know they've caused humans to evolve and continents to shift, but even knowing that my intuition is that all of the dinosaur stuff happened a long time ago from me (because they were dead well before I was born), but close in time to each other (because they're all just lumped together under "dinosaur stuff").

petril

mjwilson

This is stolen from a recent Adam Buxton podcast, but the word for someone who runs a restaurant is restaurateur, not restauranteur.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: mjwilson on October 13, 2020, 10:04:15 PM
This is stolen from a recent Adam Buxton podcast, but the word for someone who runs a restaurant is restaurateur, not restauranteur.

There are more CaB search results for restaurateur than restauranteur. I suggest you seriously consider moving your post to the Obvious Things thread.

I'm not suggesting anything will happen to you if you don't.

Icehaven

Pablo Escobar had a zoo on his estate in Colombia which included 4 imported hippos. After his death the estate was abandoned and most of the zoo animals either died or were removed, but the hippos stayed there and bred, eventually breaking out of the zoo and spreading across the area. There's now nearly 100 hippos, all descendants of the original 4, and they breed twice as fast in Colombia as they do in their native Africa because it's much wetter. Escobar's zoo was very popular so public sympathy made the government make it illegal to cull them despite the danger they pose (thousands of people are killed by them every year in Africa), so now there's a sterilisation program but it's expensive, slow and difficult to maintain, so there's probably going to be thousands of them across Columbia in a few decades.

Paul Calf

Quote from: icehaven on October 17, 2020, 10:41:10 PM
Pablo Escobar had a zoo on his estate in Colombia which included 4 imported hippos. After his death the estate was abandoned and most of the zoo animals either died or were removed, but the hippos stayed there and bred, eventually breaking out of the zoo and spreading across the area. There's now nearly 100 hippos, all descendants of the original 4, and they breed twice as fast in Colombia as they do in their native Africa because it's much wetter. Escobar's zoo was very popular so public sympathy made the government make it illegal to cull them despite the danger they pose (thousands of people are killed by them every year in Africa), so now there's a sterilisation program but it's expensive, slow and difficult to maintain, so there's probably going to be thousands of them across Columbia in a few decades.

That's a shallow starting gene pool. They'll probably have formed a corrupt, decadent monarchy and sport malformed lower jaws within a couple of hundred years.

Cerys

JesusAndYourBush

You can if you repeatedly open your mouth, closing it for each short hum.

Hand Solo

I can do it indefinitely, by switching to the trilling coming from my lips instead.

Norton Canes

It's illegal to own a rabbit in Queensland unless you're a magician. (Or you want to hack them up for scientific research)