Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:27:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

Quote from: olliebean on October 22, 2020, 11:56:53 AM
Ah, right, now I see. My tongue still rolls without my lips, but with the lips they press inwards on either side and make it a "tighter" roll. I don't think, though, that if I couldn't roll my tongue without my lips, I'd be able to do it with the aid of my lips.

I can't roll my tongue at all without putting my mouth in the o shape. My lips do all the work. You have exceptional tongue dexterity clearly. Slide into my DMs.

Sebastian Cobb

Listening to Le Mellotron (Belgian DJ, does radio show from Paris), with a French pianist and they were speaking about types of piano in English, apparently one of the French names for a type of piano with low notes translates literally as 'piano with a dick'.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: NoSleep on October 22, 2020, 09:32:30 AM
You can hear the loss of depth in the sound if you block your nose (as suggested in the original post); it is a different sound, not comparable to running. But you probably believe holding one of your legs and hopping is identical to running.
If you hold your nose and position your tongue the right way in the mouth you can make a sort of cavity acoustically similar to the nasal cavity and get a noise similar to humming. It takes a bit of experimentation, but if you put your tongue in contact with your upper lip so it's blocking the airway (you can't breathe out), and then try and breathe out while vibrating your vocal cords (make a kind of uuuuh-ing noise) and move your tongue at the side away from your cheek just enough that some air can get out, it does make a sort of mmmm-ing noise. You need the vocal cord vibration, which is what distinguishes regular humming from breathing through your nose. I have just done this by experiment and if you're not careful I'll upload about 2 hours onto SoundCloud. You can argue whether it's humming, but I would say it is, since bees and motors can hum and neither of them has a nose.

imitationleather

I can roll my tongue without involving my lips. This is the only time ever that I have been accomplished at doing something physical. I can barely walk in a straight line but baby just watch my tongue roll unassisted.

touchingcloth

Shit Good Nose

NoSleep

Sebastian Cobb

If I roll my tongue I need to open my mouth to make vertical room, which usually results in my lips helping, but it seems if I'm very careful, or pull them apart, I can still roll my tongue. Am I special?

Cerys

Icehaven

There isn't a single county called Yorkshire. There's a North, South and West Yorkshire and East Riding of Yorkshire, but they're all separate counties.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 22, 2020, 03:28:21 PM
If I roll my tongue I need to open my mouth to make vertical room, which usually results in my lips helping, but it seems if I'm very careful, or pull them apart, I can still roll my tongue. Am I special?

Certainly sounds like it.

Gulftastic

Quote from: icehaven on October 27, 2020, 03:49:53 PM
There isn't a single county called Yorkshire. There's a North, South and West Yorkshire and East Riding of Yorkshire, but they're all separate counties.

There used to be just three ridings, as 'riding' comes from the viking word for 'third'. York itself was not part of any riding. It sat as the hub at the centre of the three.

touchingcloth

Disney helped propagate the myth of lemming mass suicide when, for the 1958 documentary White Wilderness they flew in a load of the critters before dumping them from the back of a truck over a cliff and into the sea.

markburgle

Adjusted for inflation, James Cameron spent more filming Titanic than the White Star Line spent building the ship itself.

Paul Calf

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 27, 2020, 10:16:14 PM
Disney helped propagate the myth of lemming mass suicide when, for the 1958 documentary White Wilderness they flew in a load of the critters before dumping them from the back of a truck over a cliff and into the sea.

I thought this was a joke, but it's actually true.

Fuck my hat.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 28, 2020, 07:51:47 AM
I thought this was a joke, but it's actually true.

Fuck my hat.

Mental, right? Mental for anyone to do it, but for it to be Big Mouse is crazy. I only found it because I saw lemmings mentioned somewhere - not with regard to cliff jumping - and realised I'd never looked into whether the idea that they commit mass suicide was based in fact.

The name Kit is an abbreviation of the names Christopher, Catherine and Kathleen.

beanheadmcginty

Not to be confused with Kitt, which is Knight Industries Two Thousand.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 28, 2020, 08:17:38 AM
Mental, right? Mental for anyone to do it, but for it to be Big Mouse is crazy. I only found it because I saw lemmings mentioned somewhere - not with regard to cliff jumping - and realised I'd never looked into whether the idea that they commit mass suicide was based in fact.

Yeah but if they hadn't, we'd probably not have gta5.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 28, 2020, 02:27:25 PM
Yeah but if they hadn't, we'd probably not have gta5.
Or we might all have been raised to believe that pandas throw themselves off cliffs.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 28, 2020, 07:42:55 PM
Or we might all have been raised to believe that pandas throw themselves off cliffs.

That'd have been shit, you'd only get about 3 on some of the level's before the screen was full.

touchingcloth

Plasterers work on stilts these days. Fucking stilts. With fucking plasterers on them! Fuck my fucking hat.

dissolute ocelot

petril

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 29, 2020, 08:47:14 PM
Plasterers work on stilts these days. Fucking stilts. With fucking plasterers on them! Fuck my fucking hat.

*THAT laugh*

seepage

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 29, 2020, 08:47:14 PM

Have you nothing better to do of an evening than watch Ugly House to Shit House? Or was it on that epitome of daytime telly desolation, The Great House Giveaway?

touchingcloth

Quote from: seepage on October 30, 2020, 08:13:58 AM
Have you nothing better to do of an evening than watch Ugly House to Shit House? Or was it on that epitome of daytime telly desolation, The Great House Giveaway?

Ugly house to shit house. Waiting for Taskmaster with it on in the background, pal, and what's your excuse?

seepage

Icehaven