Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:38:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Sitcom writer Carla Lane wasn't really called Carla Lane. Her real name was Romana Barrack.

New page love is like a fuck my hat.

pigamus

I didn't think there were actual people called Romana, I thought Robert Holmes made it up in 1978

JesusAndYourBush

Likewise I have no idea if the name Tegan is made-up, as all the Tegans I'm aware of were all born after their Dr Who characters time.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 10, 2020, 05:31:02 PM
I'm not even kidding, but I've always thought that one of the Clangers swanee-whistles with a Birmingham accent.

This is a really interesting little documentary but there's a bit that's quite pertinent to your comment.

https://youtu.be/V2jHrq1MLko?t=166

JesusAndYourBush

Interesting.  I'd heard that in one scene, one of them was supposedly saying something rude ("close the bloody doors" or something like that) but didn't know the whole episodes had scripted dialogue.

DrGreggles

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 24, 2020, 02:14:07 PM
Likewise I have no idea if the name Tegan is made-up, as all the Tegans I'm aware of were all born after their Dr Who characters time.

I know a Tegan.
Her name rhymes with 'Megan' though.
She's Canadian.

imitationleather

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 24, 2020, 05:46:11 PM
I know a Tegan.
Her name rhymes with 'Megan' though.
She's Canadian.

You should inform her that she's pronouncing her name wrong.

touchingcloth

Jockice

This is the only Tegan I'm aware of, from an excellent TV show I (or rather my legendary etc) discovered a few months ago. Somehow neither of us had seen or heard of it while it was actually on, but have watched all three series on catch-up in the last few weeks.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/no-offence/profiles/all/police-constable-tegan-thompson/1225

The name Vanessa was invented by Jonathan Swift in a poem though. I know that because I went to school with a Vanessa and someone told me that at the time. Why that's still in my head is a total mystery though.

DrGreggles

Quote from: imitationleather on November 24, 2020, 07:25:37 PM
You should inform her that she's pronouncing her name wrong.

Well, that's how all the Tegans I know pronounce it.

touchingcloth

I know someone called Tegane who pronounces it like the Renault Megane.

I don't really.

buzby

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 24, 2020, 02:14:07 PM
It's an old Welsh name, like Megan. It's actually the Welsh word for toy/plaything and is pronounced Ti-gan. it seems to have been more popular as a name among non-Welsh speakers in Australia and Canada than here, though, and Tegan's character in Who was an Australian air hostess. John Nathan-Turner took the name from his Australian niece.

touchingcloth

pigamus

Cerys

Quote from: buzby on November 24, 2020, 11:00:54 PMpronounced Ti-gan

More TEG-an.  The 'teg' on its own, meaning 'fair', would be pronounced more or less 'tairg'.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Cerys on November 25, 2020, 09:45:03 AM
More TEG-an.  The 'teg' on its own, meaning 'fair', would be pronounced more or less 'tairg'.

Welsh has lost the moral high ground on the "here's how things are supposed to be pronounced" front with their mutations, soft or otherwise. Is it cum-ree or gum-ree? Make your fucking mind up, cymar. Or should that be gymar? Ffycin uffern.

bgmnts

I'd instinctively pronounce any E in Welsh as an "air" sound. So T-air-gun.

Icehaven

There was a character called Tegan on either Neighbours or Home and Away years ago, and they pronounced it Tey-GAN, but that might just be the Aussie way of saying it.

buttgammon

I'd say tee-gan, but 1) I've only met one Tegan and she was English and 2) I'm an English-speaking gog, so my Welsh pronunciation is by no means gospel.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 25, 2020, 09:57:43 AMIs it cum-ree or gum-ree? Make your fucking mind up, cymar. Or should that be gymar? Ffycin uffern.

On a dreadful series that Terry Wogan did where he went around the UK pretending to travel in a London taxi sampling local food, he went to Abergavenny, intoning in the voiceover "Welcome to Cymroooo". Like he'd never heard "Plaid Cymru" said before, the silly Celt.

Annie Labuntur

Talking of Wogan, something that I found out recently and that doesn't merit being on Awkward Chat Show Moments shows... Buddy Rich, 69 and with 5 months to live, delivered a blistering version of Birdland on Wogan's show, annoyed that Tel didn't want to interview him and only wanted one song, unlike MOR entertainer Pat Boone who got the bulk of the show.

Rich, looking severely pissed off, gestures contemptuously towards Wogan at the end, and Wogan shits himself smiles unconvincingly.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNC9OnPvSk

studpuppet

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 25, 2020, 09:57:43 AM
Welsh has lost the moral high ground on the "here's how things are supposed to be pronounced" front with their mutations, soft or otherwise. Is it cum-ree or gum-ree? Make your fucking mind up, cymar. Or should that be gymar? Ffycin uffern.

I've learned all the Welsh I know from DIY With Denzil.

studpuppet

Rishi Sunak is the same height as Maradona was* - 5' 6"

*Obviously Maradona is now minus 6'

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: studpuppet on November 28, 2020, 11:36:22 PM
Rishi Sunak is the same height as Maradona was* - 5' 6"

*Obviously Maradona is now minus 6'
I always thought Rishi was a lanky twat. BoJo is 5'9" (I always thought he was more bulky in height as well as width) and Priti Patel a rumoured 5'3", so none of them are giants. David Cameron was 6'1".

Sebastian Cobb

Surprised to see Cameron was that height, he seemed an average figure, possibly by intent.

It strikes me that there's unspoken effort in the press to hide the fact that Priti Patel is a bit of an unusual shape, although there's plenty wrong with her and that ain't it.

kalowski

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 29, 2020, 02:42:28 PM
Surprised to see Cameron was that height, he seemed an average figure, possibly by intent.

It strikes me that there's unspoken effort in the press to hide the fact that Priti Patel is a bit of an unusual shape, although there's plenty wrong with her and that ain't it.
Priti Patel always make me think of

AsparagusTrevor

Donald Trump is apparently 6'3", which I find surprisingly tall. Maybe the stooping combined with his rotund frame him look short.

studpuppet

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 29, 2020, 02:33:37 PM
I always thought Rishi was a lanky twat. BoJo is 5'9" (I always thought he was more bulky in height as well as width) and Priti Patel a rumoured 5'3", so none of them are giants. David Cameron was 6'1".

Since having become obsessed with Sunak's height, I've discovered that Putin is also 5'6" and Orban is 5'7". Politics really is a small man's game these days (speaking from my lofty 5'10" height).

kalowski

Quote from: studpuppet on November 29, 2020, 04:32:24 PM
Since having become obsessed with Sunak's height, I've discovered that Putin is also 5'6" and Orban is 5'7". Politics really is a small man's game these days (speaking from my lofty 5'10" height).
QuoteCan I please speak! I came all the way from Oslo to do this program! I'm a professor of archaeology. I'm an expert in ancient civilizations. All right, I'm only five foot ten. All right my posture is bad, all right I slump in my chair. But I've had more women than either of you two! I've had half bloody Norway, that's what I've had! So you can keep your Robert Eversley! And you can keep your bloody Watutsi! I'd rather have my little body... my little five-foot-ten-inch body...

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 24, 2020, 03:38:24 PM
Interesting.  I'd heard that in one scene, one of them was supposedly saying something rude ("close the bloody doors" or something like that) but didn't know the whole episodes had scripted dialogue.
"Oh, bugger. The bloody doors are stuck again."
Allegedly.