Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:43:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poobum

JaDanketies

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 04, 2021, 05:57:56 AM
'Wake in Fright' and 'Weekend at Bernies' were directed by the same person.

Seven Up! and The World Is Not Enough were directed by the same person (but a different same person from Wake/Weekend).

famethrowa

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 08, 2021, 11:07:17 PM
Seven Up! and The World Is Not Enough were directed by the same person (but a different same person from Wake/Weekend).

Surprised me, that one. I wish our fella had put his Roy Mallard-style voiceover on Bond!

Paul Calf

There were five incidents involving B-52s crashing with nuclear weapons on board in the 1960s in the IS alone.

https://youtu.be/zO3sCdAmwPw

Paul Calf

petril

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 11, 2021, 10:48:24 AM
There's a gene-encoded protein named after Sonic The Hedgehog.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_hedgehog

Hat tip to Blue Jam.

QuoteIn the zebrafish, two of the three vertebrate hh genes are duplicated: SHH a [16] and SHH b[17] (formerly described as tiggywinkle hedgehog, named for Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, a character from Beatrix Potter's books for children) and ihha and ihhb[18] (formerly described as echidna hedgehog, named for the spiny anteater and not for the character Knuckles the Echidna in the Sonic franchise).

lovely

Poobum

The wrestler The Edge plays Kjetil Flatnose in the TV series Vikings.

Gulftastic

80's comedy 'Happy Families' has never been released on home media due to it's heavy use of the Elton John track 'Song For Guy'. The licensing rights are just too damn expensive and it's too prevalent to edit out.

QDRPHNC

touchingcloth

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 14, 2021, 05:27:59 PM
80's comedy 'Happy Families' has never been released on home media due to it's heavy use of the Elton John track 'Song For Guy'. The licensing rights are just too damn expensive and it's too prevalent to edit out.

Are you talking about the kids' comedy based on Janet & Allan Ahlberg books, or the comedy starring French & Saunders, Ade Edmondson and Stephen Fry?

If the latter, it was provided with a budget for its second series, but that was never made so the earmarked money was spent on the first series of Red Dwarf.

phantom_power

Quote from: QDRPHNC on January 15, 2021, 11:11:57 PM
Jared Kushner had plastic surgery to look like that.

Can I have the cannibalistic sociopath look please. Soul-less empathy void implants? Yes please!

dissolute ocelot

A starfish has a mouth on the bottom and an anus on the top, but no brain.

I was trying to find out what animal a starfish's anus looks like, but it just seems to be a tiny circle.

The beard guy who plays Riker in Star Trek: The Next Generation is the same bloke from that Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction show/memes. Fuck my hat.

petril

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 19, 2021, 01:42:41 PM
The beard guy who plays Riker in Star Trek: The Next Generation is the same bloke from that Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction show/memes. Fuck my hat.

*wry smile*

we made that one up

dissolute ocelot

Just noticed (and looked up in the OED) that to bow="to bend over" and bow="a curved thing you fire arrows with" despite being pronounced differently have similar meanings and come from the same root in Old Germanic, "bug-" meaning to bend.

Gulftastic

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 19, 2021, 04:48:44 PM
Just noticed (and looked up in the OED) that to bow="to bend over" and bow="a curved thing you fire arrows with" despite being pronounced differently have similar meanings and come from the same root in Old Germanic, "bug-" meaning to bend.

Same with "Buxom".

JaDanketies

On the subject of words, I thought it was weird that Segway is a brand name, and the actual word is spelled segue.

SteveDave

Kate Hardy (of "Mona Lisa" and "The Krays" fame) is the daughter of ornithologist and Goodie- Bill Oddie.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: SteveDave on January 20, 2021, 02:36:48 PM
Kate Hardy (of "Mona Lisa" and "The Krays" fame) is the daughter of ornithologist and Goodie- Bill Oddie.
Kate Hardie. There's also an author called Kate Hardy who's also called Pamela Brooks, Lucinda Chester, Evelyn D'Arcy, Chelsea Miller and Pamela Rochford. (I was just trying to find out who Hardie's mum was, with the hope that there was someone called Hardie-Oddie, but it's apparently a Jean Hart of no particular celebrity, and Hardie's stage name is apparently a mix of Hart and Oddie.)

Icehaven

Petrol station canopies are low because they have powder fire extinguishing system built in, so if there's a fire the powder is dumped onto it from above.

pigamus

What if Bill Oddie were a homosexual and he had married the late Conservative MP Sir Richard Body

famethrowa

Quote from: pigamus on January 28, 2021, 02:53:27 PM
What if Bill Oddie were a homosexual and he had married the late Conservative MP Sir Richard Body

What's rude about a body?

pigamus

Dusty Substance

Quote from: pigamus on January 30, 2021, 08:43:50 PM
Hugh Laurie was the original Jonathan Creek.

Didn't Renwick write it with Rodney in mind for the lead?