Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:56:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Quote from: olliebean on March 15, 2021, 10:14:53 PM
The interesting fact about the grasshopper is its disproportionate leaping ability, due to its powerful hind legs.

paaaaaful hind legs

touchingcloth

Machu Picchu translates as "old portion of cocoa being chewed".

NoSleep

Sonny_Jim

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: NoSleep on March 14, 2021, 09:51:16 AM
QuotePinball's seedy reputation persisted for decades, even after the advent of the flipper, which made the game a test of reflexes.

Before the invention of the flipper it was a mere bagatelle.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 15, 2021, 12:34:49 AM
I've seen Fury Road but not Mad Max. This feels like a massive spoiler - when I eventually watch Mad Max, Immortan Joe will appear and I'll just have to think well, it looks like some toes are about to get cut.

My advice is to watch Mad Max 2 first, then Thunderdome, then watch the first film last and treat it as a prequel.

George White

I knew he had worked at Gainsborough, but didn't know that Gerry Anderson sound edited Devil Girl from Mars.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: George White on March 16, 2021, 11:28:59 PM
I knew he had worked at Gainsborough, but didn't know that Gerry Anderson sound edited Devil Girl from Mars.

Well his voice dubbing skills were second-to-none in the 80s. Oh, hang on a minute, that's Gerry Adams.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 17, 2021, 06:50:42 PM
Well his voice dubbing skills were second-to-none in the 80s. Oh, hang on a minute, that's Gerry Adams.

In an idle moment a few years ago I had the idea that imagine if a similar law was introduced for ISIS/etc terrorists so that it could then be circumvented via dubbing, and that cheeky media types went and hired Gerry Adams to do the dubbing.

touchingcloth

I still can't believe Gerry Adams had his voice dubbed to protect us all. It's one of the maddest things to have happened in my lifetime.

Paul Calf

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 18, 2021, 08:49:38 AM
I still can't believe Gerry Adams had his voice dubbed to protect us all. It's one of the maddest things to have happened in my lifetime.

So far...

phantom_power

What was the thinking behind it? Did they think he had hypnotic powers?

Paul Calf

Greatest fucking sex symbol this country's ever seen. Made Uri Geller look like Joe Pasquale.

olliebean

Quote from: phantom_power on March 18, 2021, 10:02:20 AM
What was the thinking behind it? Did they think he had hypnotic powers?

The government had banned the broadcast of "direct statements" by representatives of Sinn Féin and similar groups, in order to deprive them of publicity. The dubbing by actors was just a way for the broadcasters to get around the ban.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 18, 2021, 09:13:58 AM
So far...

Correct, it's not a patch on that time in 2039 when Bin Laden is resurrected and starts leading a secret life as a bouncy castle operator.

phantom_power

Chuck Norris Yee-ha jingoismfest Invasion USA is a remake of a 1952 film

Paul Calf

Sebastian Cobb

Are you 100% sure they haven't just deleted all their old tweets at some point? I appear to have blocked them which I sometimes do to brands when they make promoted tweets.

pigamus

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 19, 2021, 12:20:09 PM
Apple has an official Twitter account, but has never tweeted:

https://twitter.com/Apple

They tweet but through ads, which aren't classed as proper tweets I don't think.

Paul Calf

Yep. They rely on ads that give them a guaranteed reach rather than tweets which are less predictable.

Sebastian Cobb

George White

THere's a 1990 TV movie, SEcret Weapon for TNT, made by TVS, starring Griffin Dunne as the Israeli nuclear scientist Mordecai Vanunu, Karen Allen and John Rhys-Brexit, Jeroen Krabbe, Stuart Wilson...
and Brian Cox as Andrew Neil.

Aside from him being a Scottish newspaper editor in charge of the Sunday Times who helped Vanunu leak the info about nuclear weapons, there's no attempt to make Cox Neil.

He looks like this. The hair is wrong. He's got a tache.

Compare with Brillo of the era the film is set.

Zetetic

Sebastian Cobb

daf

One to pencil in for your next Karaoke night - the Tales of the Unexpected theme came with a set of lyrics - sung here by the '100 Pounds of Clay' hit-maker . . .

Craig Douglas - Love is a Carousel

Released in August in 1983 - did not chart *

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* . . . as exthpected!

Paul Calf

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 21, 2021, 11:01:59 AM
Gillian McKeith and Nigella Lawson are the same age (61)

Nigel Farage is five years younger than Nigella Lawson.

daf

Ben Shapiro is the cousin of the actress who played Matilda in Matilda. Fuck my hat.

idunnosomename

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 22, 2021, 01:04:45 PM
Ben Shapiro is the cousin of the actress who played Matilda in Matilda. Fuck my hat.
I know which one I'd rather send a tupperware of me shit to!