Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 06:51:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: gib on April 05, 2021, 10:51:50 AM
Wikipedia seems happy enough with the goddess Eostre explanation.

QuoteBede provides the only documentary source for the etymology of the word, in his eigth-century The Reckoning of Time. He wrote that Ēosturmōnaþ (Old English 'Month of Ēostre', translated in Bede's time as "Paschal month") was an English month, corresponding to April, which he says "was once called after a goddess of theirs named Ēostre, in whose honour feasts were celebrated in that month".

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Was looking up imdb to see if it was a young Peter Cellier in an episode of Fabian Of The Yard I was watching (turns out yes it was and he's Bruce Seton's brother in law) but I never knew he's the son of Frank Cellier out of The 39 Steps

Can definitely see it though

fucking get in!! didn't start a new page for once

Fr.Bigley

studpuppet

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on April 05, 2021, 01:47:43 PM
Also wrote the book on parenting.

He only wrote A book on parenting. THE book on parenting is Fritzl & West's 'Parenting Tips: Build Your Relationships From The Basement Up'.[nb]Apparently it was a big cellar.[/nb]

NoSleep

Quote from: gib on April 05, 2021, 11:05:58 AM
Sure, but it says absolutely nothing about 'east'.

Because it has nothing to do with the word east. I thought that was the obvious point of the quote I posted (confirming your own post; I was going to post the quote as the answer but returned here and you had already posted; and new page on top of all that).

gib

Quote from: NoSleep on April 06, 2021, 10:47:02 AM
Because it has nothing to do with the word east. I thought that was the obvious point of the quote I posted (confirming your own post; I was going to post the quote as the answer but returned here and you had already posted; and new page on top of all that).

Fair enough.

So was FredNurke trolling when he said

Quote from: FredNurke on April 04, 2021, 05:26:51 PM
No, that's just a coincidental similarity. 'Easter' is almost certainly connected with 'east' and hence with various 'dawn' words in other Indo-European languages.

FredNurke

No. If there was a Germanic goddess called 'Eostre' (Northumbrian; therefore 'Eastre' in most Old English dialects) - which there probably was, but Bede is the only evidence we have for her existence in any Germanic language, not just English - then that name is in turn connected with 'east', which is a Germanic formation based on the same Indo-European root as Greek eos, Latin aurora, etc., all meaning 'dawn'. (And of course Eos and Aurora are also dawn-goddesses.) But the shape of the word 'Easter' in Old English and other Germanic languages is such that the connection with 'east' is pretty near certain, regardless of whether or not there really was  an 'Eostre / Eastre' in the Germanic pantheon.

Fr.Bigley

NoSleep

touchingcloth

touchingcloth

Gulftastic

I take far more pleasure than I should in knowing what SCUBA stands for.

Artie Fufkin

Paul Calf

Gulftastic

Artie Fufkin

touchingcloth

Kiwis call all sweets "lollies". Like Rolos, flying saucers, foam shrimps, Dweebs: all "lollies".

idunnosomename

Bede's a good lad but he did basically pull the Eostre thing out of his ass

Sonny_Jim

Might be a QI klaxon, but I seem to remember it's actually Osciallation, rather than Amplification, meaning it should be L.O.S.E.R.

George White

I know about his dalliance with Pat Kirkwood, but I didn't know that allegedly Anna Massey was Prince Philip's "type of woman".

touchingcloth

Quote from: George White on April 10, 2021, 08:59:09 AM
I know about his dalliance with Pat Kirkwood, but I didn't know that allegedly Anna Massey was Prince Philip's "type of woman".

They're all his type of woman by the time he'd finished wanking.

George White

Turns out the Massey story was possibly invented by Michael Gambon to see if people would believe it.

Icehaven