Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:21:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on April 11, 2021, 11:07:48 PM
Dermot Morgan is in Taffin!

If you didn't already know that then maybe you shouldn't be posting heere.

daf

kalowski

Quote from: icehaven on April 11, 2021, 11:07:48 PM
Dermot Morgan is in Taffin!
Never heard of it, but what a blurb!
QuoteCutthroat developers are intent on building a chemical plant in an Irish town, and they'll use any means necessary to silence their opponents. In need of more help than the law can provide, the town's citizens turn to Mark Taffin (Pierce Brosnan), a debt collector and martial-arts expert who's accustomed to getting his way. As Taffin battles against corporate goons and hired thugs, it's clear he's a force to be reckoned with. But is one man enough to win the battle?

George White

And Frank Kelly.

And  Ireland's greatest showbiz all-rounder, Twink https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXpEEEEs__0

Jimmy T. Murakami, the director of Battle Beyond the Stars, intern camp survivor and founder of Murakami-Wolf who did Teenage Mutant Hinjo Turtles, James Bond Jr, and the Snowman, When the Wind Blows, etc. did the title animation for the 1988 BBC Narnia series.

JaDanketies

So everyone knows that beige is a colour and is used as a metaphor to mean dull or unexciting. The colour 'beige' is actually the colour of natural wool.

Did you know that drab was once used to refer to a colour too, and there is still a colour called 'drab' which is also the colour of undyed wool, but the whole metaphorical extension linguistic shift thing happened a long time ago so we've collectively forgotten about the colour

seepage

At work 'greige' meant undecided or null colour, so I assume if they wanted to actually colour something 'greige' i.e. grey/beige they must have had to call it something else.

Kankurette

My brother and his mates are writing an Archers-style comedy serial and there's a running gag about taffin being a food of some sort, as in one of the main characters making hot buttered taffin. I like to think taffin is a dark brown treacly cake, a bit like Parkin.

My FMH moment today: I've recently gotten into Jujutsu Kaisen, an anime with a few similarities to Bleach, and there's a scene where the hero is picking his grandad's bones out of his ashes with chopsticks, so I did some googling and apparently what he's doing is called Kotsuage. It explains why the Japanese don't like you passing them food with chopsticks, it's too similar to Kotsuage.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Kankurette on April 13, 2021, 10:11:09 PM
My FMH moment today: I've recently gotten into Jujutsu Kaisen, an anime with a few similarities to Bleach, and there's a scene where the hero is picking his grandad's bones out of his ashes with chopsticks, so I did some googling and apparently what he's doing is called Kotsuage. It explains why the Japanese don't like you passing them food with chopsticks, it's too similar to Kotsuage.

That's actually known as taffing. 

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: JaDanketies on April 13, 2021, 06:06:12 PM
So everyone knows that beige is a colour and is used as a metaphor to mean dull or unexciting. The colour 'beige' is actually the colour of natural wool.

Did you know that drab was once used to refer to a colour too, and there is still a colour called 'drab' which is also the colour of undyed wool, but the whole metaphorical extension linguistic shift thing happened a long time ago so we've collectively forgotten about the colour
"Ecru" which was a trendy colour about 20 years ago is the colour of unbleached and undyed linen. Wickypedo says
QuoteEcru is the colour of unbleached linen.[1] Traditionally ecru was considered a shade of beige,[2] but beginning in the 19th century it became more precisely defined as "a grayish yellow that is greener and paler than chamois or old ivory".[3] Ecru comes from the French word écru, which means "unbleached".

studpuppet

Rich Uncle Skeleton

George White

And it wastes Twink.
Ireland's finest, most popular and beloved entertainer given only a few minutes of screentime.

touchingcloth

kalowski

George White

The original books are very different. Irish pulp from New English library
He's a sort of Irish Chopper Reid-via-Lennie Peters/Mike Reid.

kalowski

studpuppet

Quote from: kalowski on April 15, 2021, 07:34:56 PM
Is that Les Gray from Mud?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you're playing Low-Wattage Celebrity Whist, you can't lay down Les Gray when someone's already played Lennie Peters. You could maybe go 'young Billy Bonds', though?

kalowski

Quote from: studpuppet on April 15, 2021, 10:38:09 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you're playing Low-Wattage Celebrity Whist, you can't lay down Les Gray when someone's already played Lennie Peters. You could maybe go 'young Billy Bonds', though?

I actually thought it was Lennie Peters, pissed off at Lee.

kalowski

Speaking of Lennie Peters, what an unlucky bloke
QuoteLennie Peters was blinded in one eye during a car accident when he was five years old. A thrown brick blinded his other eye when he was sixteen.

studpuppet

Quote from: kalowski on April 16, 2021, 10:14:42 AM
Speaking of Lennie Peters, what an unlucky bloke

It gets worse:

QuoteThe former Leonard George Sargent was hit by a car at the age of 5 and lost the sight in one eye. Ten years later he noticed some youths throwing stones at him while sunbathing on Hampstead Heath. He approached the lads and in his gentle London manner told them to stop. A brick was then thrown at him causing him to lose the sight in the other eye. All was not lost however, he was taken to hospital where he was informed that his sight could be saved. While resting in hospital he saw an old man falling out of bed, even prior to NHS cuts there were no nurses to be seen so Peters went to catch him before he hit the floor. Unfortunately the strain of doing this detached a retina and his sight was lost forever. The old man died the next day.

And:

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/man-guilty-of-murder-at-caravan-park-7471300

kalowski

Fr.Bigley

My brother and his mates are writing an Archers-style comedy serial and there's a running gag about taffin being a food of some sort, as in one of the main characters making hot buttered taffin. I like to think taffin is a dark brown treacly cake, a bit like Parkin.

Sounds great, I'll be sure to give it a miss when I see it.

Paul Calf

Billions of cicadas are about to emerge in the Eastern United States. There are several broods of cicadas who emerge periodically after years underground, and the periods between their excursions is always a prime number of years:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/16/world/brood-x-cicada-2021-scn/index.html

bgmnts

Hopefully we exterminate every last one of them because fuck nature lol

idunnosomename

bloke who plays "Jazzer" on the Archers was born without any eyes. well he's got one tiny useless one. learns all his scripts by heart from text-to-speech because reading braille while recording makes too much noise.

still bloody hate the archers though

Sonny_Jim

One for the nerds:
The terms 'big endian' and 'little endian' come from Gulliver's Travels. The people of Lilliput and Blefuscu have been fighting a war over which end of an boiled egg one should crack to eat it. In computer terms it refers to whether the most or least significant  portion of a binary number is stored in the lower memory address

Icehaven

And there's Tiffin, the dense biscuity chocolate cake with raisins. It's nice but really rich, I used to have a piece with a hot chocolate in Costa then walk around trying not to puke for the next hour.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on April 10, 2021, 07:44:13 AM
Might be a QI klaxon, but I seem to remember it's actually Osciallation, rather than Amplification, meaning it should be L.O.S.E.R.

Never heard that one before, I'm afraid.

Amplification is correct, too, regarding how it works.

Before that they invented the MASER, "Microwave..." which was used for years to transmit signals across large distances.