Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:04:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

dissolute ocelot

More tiffin facts! The confectionery of that name was invented in Troon, Ayrshire, Scotland in the early 20th century, although it derives from rocky road which was allegedly invented in Australia in 1853 from mushy melted confectionery. Modern rocky road generally contains a dotting of marshmallows in contrast to tiffin.

Tiffin confectionery takes its name from a light meal often eaten by the British in India, but it derives from an archaic British dialect term "tiffing" meaning taking a litle drink.

Tiffin is one of the few cakestuffs commonly available in vegan form, because a slab of chocolate goo doesn't need any eggs. Vegan rocky road is also available thanks to the invention of vegan marshmallows gelled with agar-agar.

bakabaka

Sweet Fanny Adams

I always assumed that this was a euphemism for Fuck All,  expanded from 'Sweet F.A.', meaning 'nothing'. As usual, I was wrong. It turns out that it has a much sicker origin.

Fanny Adams was an 8-year-old living in Hampshire in 1867. On 24th August she and two friends met Frederick Baker who paid the other two to go away then took Fanny to a nearby field and chopped her to bits before heading home and writing in his diary "killed a young girl, it was fine and hot", as you do. It was a huge scandal at the time. Victorians were good at that sort of thing.

The next year the navy introduced tins of inedible chunks of old mutton to the rations and the sailors, being CaB types, started calling it 'sweet Fanny Adams'. So when all they had to eat was sweet Fanny Adams, it meant there was nothing edible left and the phrase came to mean 'nothing'. It was only in the mid 20th century that it started to be used to replace 'fuck all'.

https://www.historyanswers.co.uk/people-politics/the-gruesome-origin-of-sweet-fanny-adams/

Dex Sawash

And you wonder why more fanny adams aren't posted on navy ships

touchingcloth

Quote from: bakabaka on April 22, 2021, 11:16:40 AM
Sweet Fanny Adams

I always assumed that this was a euphemism for Fuck All,  expanded from 'Sweet F.A.', meaning 'nothing'. As usual, I was wrong. It turns out that it has a much sicker origin.

Fanny Adams was an 8-year-old living in Hampshire in 1867. On 24th August she and two friends met Frederick Baker who paid the other two to go away then took Fanny to a nearby field and chopped her to bits before heading home and writing in his diary "killed a young girl, it was fine and hot", as you do. It was a huge scandal at the time. Victorians were good at that sort of thing.

The next year the navy introduced tins of inedible chunks of old mutton to the rations and the sailors, being CaB types, started calling it 'sweet Fanny Adams'. So when all they had to eat was sweet Fanny Adams, it meant there was nothing edible left and the phrase came to mean 'nothing'. It was only in the mid 20th century that it started to be used to replace 'fuck all'.

https://www.historyanswers.co.uk/people-politics/the-gruesome-origin-of-sweet-fanny-adams/

So I've got to stop saying Sweet Fanny Adams for fuck all, and Sweet Frederick Baker for fuck buddy? This is a black, day. You'll be telling me Sweet Mary Jane-Warner was a Holocaust victim next.

The Dog

Top rapper Jay Z can only do a rap if he is underneath a heat lamp. If he needs to rap faster or slower they simply adjust the heat setting.

touchingcloth

Quote from: The Dog on April 23, 2021, 12:21:48 AM
Top rapper Jay Z can only do a rap if he is underneath a heat lamp. If he needs to rap faster or slower they simply adjust the heat setting.

Can he not rap when under heat, or does he just keep slowing down until the heat has completely dissipated?

The Dog

Yes, technically he can rap for a bit without the lamp because he will retain some heat. Don't think he could have won 21 Grammys that way though.

touchingcloth

Quote from: The Dog on April 23, 2021, 06:42:12 AM
Yes, technically he can rap for a bit without the lamp because he will retain some heat. Don't think he could have won 21 Grammys that way though.

I wasn't being clear and you misunderstood, apologies.

What I wanted to know was whether when placed under heat, Jay is able to stop himself from rapping or if the presence of the lamp makes him physically unable to not start rapping?

The Dog

If you put Jay Z under a heat lamp he will start rapping. Maybe one day he will stop, I don't think anyone knows really.

steve98

Be interesting to see* if he'd feel compelled to rap when wrapped in something (like Dead Sea mud or camel dung), and placed under the lamp.

*No it wouldn't.

Kankurette

If Beyonce wants him to be quiet, does she put him in a fridge?

Also, I just found out about the real life Lord of the Flies. A bunch of Tongan lads nicked a boat and ended up on a remote island. However, unlike Ralph and co, they didn't go mad and kill each other. Quite the opposite.

Tokyo van Ramming

Dusty Substance

Noah Baumbach has made a career out of writing and directing largely critically acclaimed comedy dramas, but smack bang in the middle of his filmography is a credit for co-writing Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted.

phantom_power

It is minuscule, not miniscule. Miniscule has become legitimate because it is mis-spelled as such so often

Blinder Data

I was aware that in Scotland postboxes don't have EIIR printed on them because Scotland never had an Elizabeth I and some constitutional extremists blew up postboxes in the 50s to prove this point. So that wasn't that amazing to me.

What did amaze me was that in Scotland, the Royal Mail logo is different! The crown used is the Crown of Scotland, not your poncy English one. Look!

Rest of UK:

Scotland:

They're different crowns! It's been like this for decades and nobody except a few nerds knew. Amazing.

touchingcloth

Blinder Data

Quote from: popcorn on April 27, 2021, 12:58:40 PM
looks the fucken same to me mate.

Pearls before swine

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 27, 2021, 12:59:58 PM
Who wears the crown of Scotland? Sturgeon?

It's wheeled out in front of the Queen to open each session of the Scottish Parliament but otherwise they live in Edinburgh Castle.

steve98

That's Lloyd Quinan (ITV weatherman), in the kilt, about to perform "To A Croon."

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: steve98 on April 27, 2021, 04:23:59 PM
That's Lloyd Quinan (ITV weatherman), in the kilt, about to perform "To A Croon."

Fucking racist cunt.

touchingcloth

"I am bushed."

"What's up?"

"I just feel like I'm always spinning one too many plates, wearing one too many hats."

"Ah, that must be stressful. What sort of hats?"

"English crown. Scottish crown. Welsh crown."

"Oh. I see. And the plates I assume are..."

"Gold, yes."

Reader, I divorced her[nb]Head from her body. [/nb].

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blinder Data on April 27, 2021, 12:55:53 PM
I was aware that in Scotland postboxes don't have EIIR printed on them because Scotland never had an Elizabeth I and some constitutional extremists blew up postboxes in the 50s to prove this point. So that wasn't that amazing to me.

What did amaze me was that in Scotland, the Royal Mail logo is different! The crown used is the Crown of Scotland, not your poncy English one. Look!

Rest of UK:

Scotland:

They're different crowns! It's been like this for decades and nobody except a few nerds knew. Amazing.

Saw on twitter and forgot to post at the time, but how's this for some history/logo-based hat-fucking?

QuoteThe Danish king Harald Bluetooth in the 960s united Denmark and gained temporary control on Norway. Intel and Ericsson engineers chose to call their new technology "Bluetooth" because it brought computers and mobile phones together just as Harald unified Denmark and Norway.

Paul Calf

There is no mathematical proof that it's impossible to find a method to trivially reverse SHA256. If someone did find a way to do it, almost all current encryption would be useless.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 29, 2021, 08:54:25 AM
There is no mathematical proof that it's impossible to find a method to trivially reverse SHA256. If someone did find a way to do it, almost all current encryption would be useless.

I think the same applies to brute force attacks using theoretical quantum computers as well.

Paul Calf

Yeah, quantum cryptography will render binary cryptography instantly obsolete. Possibly already has - we can't know at the moment.

steve98

We should take measures against the quantum cryptographers, before it's too late. Terminal measures.