Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:51:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 24, 2021, 11:20:34 AM
Reading the Wiki article about Lovat led to my finding out that Owen cribbed "dulce et decorum est" from Horace.

Well, I assume its a direct response to Horace's sentiments.

pigamus

dissolute ocelot

Soho in London is named after a hunting cry (like "Tally-ho" but not that), and isn't south of anywhere.

gabrielconroy

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 24, 2021, 07:19:35 PM
Do I need to call Tony Robinson?

Yes you do, but not for the reason you think. I'm afraid I can't divulge any more at this stage.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: pigamus on May 24, 2021, 07:37:20 PM
Anita Dobson wasn't the first Angie Watts.

Yep. Jean Fennell. Died 10 years ago in a council flat - lung cancer, despite never having smoked. Doesn't even have a wiki page.

jenna appleseed

IMDB claims all she filmed was a test walk through Albert Square.

"Trivia
She was the original casting to play Angie Watts in EastEnders (1985). According to director Matthew Robinson, she recorded a 15-second walk through the square as a test shot. The series' creators, Julia Smith and Tony Holland, decided they wanted a more experienced actress to play such an important role, so Anita Dobson was cast instead. Fennell was paid in full for the six months she had signed up for."

Echo Valley 2-6809

She allegedly fell foul of hardline producer Julia Smith, unwisely disagreeing with the clothes her character was allocated, and Smith's advice on how to play Angie, despite being privately advised by others not to rock the boat. I think the official line was that she wasn't quite right for the character physically.

Paul Calf

The Dog

Rapper Turbo B was working as a freelancer when he said rhythm is a dancer.

JaDanketies

Quote from: The Dog on May 28, 2021, 12:32:55 PM
Rapper Turbo B was working as a freelancer when he said rhythm is a dancer.

better line than the original imo

popcorn

Cuellar

studpuppet

touchingcloth

Oliver Cromwell had been dead by the time of the Restoration, but Charles II had his body dug up so that it could be hanged before being beheaded and having his (presumably manky) head displayed on a spike. Fuck my head.

He's one of several of Charles I's regicides whose bodies were dug up to be similarly abused, while a lot of the poor saps who were still living at the time had the old hanging plus penis removal to look forward to.

touchingcloth

Quote from: popcorn on May 28, 2021, 09:33:13 PM
Heinz is from Pennsylvania.

Heinz logo:

Pennsylvania logo:

This is excellent.

A friend of mine once did some work for "Mrs Heinz", an insanely wealthy widow of the sauce dynasty. She lived alone but would have her staff serve my friend a lunch presented under a silver service cloche each day, the cloche being used to cover a bowl of Heinz soup.

Echo Valley 2-6809

It was also the same logo shape that Mack Sennett saw on a Pennsylvania Railroad train that inspired him to call his studio 'Keystone' (which obviously led to the Keystone Kops).

buttgammon

The War of Attrition was an actual war (the one that followed the Six Day War in the late 1960s).

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on May 30, 2021, 01:40:47 AM
It was also the same logo shape that Mack Sennett saw on a Pennsylvania Railroad train that inspired him to call his studio 'Keystone' (which obviously led to the Keystone Kops).

Pennsylvania was nicknamed the Keystone State not because of its shape (as has been pointed out), but because it's geographically the middle of the original 13 and was historically important. American state nicknames are fascinating, like Missouri "the show-me state" (supposedly because they're all doubting Thomas and will only believe things they've seen) or Arkansas "The Natural State" (possibly because they have some nature): a real shame Britain doesn't do that kind of thing.

JaDanketies

In the course of my work, I've recently learned that fairground essentials such as the Helter Skelter and the Waltzers are pretty much only seen in the UK and Ireland. Hence Charlie Manson misinterpreting the Beatles song so badly.

gib

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 31, 2021, 09:50:19 AMpretty much only seen in the UK and Ireland

I believe the same applies to baked beans, as we know them.

kalowski

Quote from: gib on May 31, 2021, 09:56:16 AM
In David Millar's autobiography, Racing Through the Dark he mentions when he rode for an Italian cycling team the Italian riders would often say to him, "David, is it true the the British have beans for breakfast?"

JaDanketies

Quote from: gib on May 31, 2021, 09:56:16 AM

There's a famous viral video of an American kid eating beans on toast like it's going to be the grossest thing ever and then enjoying it. Why would they even sell baked beans in tomato sauce if they're not going to put them on toast? The only other things I could imagine doing with them is sneaking them into a chilli, eating them with potatoes or having them as part of a fried breakfast.

gib

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 31, 2021, 10:00:08 AMWhy would they even sell baked beans in tomato sauce if they're not going to put them on toast?

I understand that they are sold as a British speciality or as 'vegetarian beans' because they usually put lumps of pork in the can with the beans.

QuoteThe only other things I could imagine doing with them is sneaking them into a chilli, eating them with potatoes or having them as part of a fried breakfast.

Sausage, chips and beans for tea.

Paul Calf

Quote from: kalowski on May 31, 2021, 09:58:38 AM
In David Millar's autobiography, Racing Through the Dark he mentions when he rode for an Italian cycling team the Italian riders would often say to him, "David, is it true the the British have beans for breakfast?"

Italians are raging food snobs. Italy is reallygood at food, but as a result, Italians tend to think that they know more than they ever need to know and the  Italian tradition has tended to shun innovations and ingredients that other European traditions have embraced.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 31, 2021, 10:00:08 AM
There's a famous viral video of an American kid eating beans on toast like it's going to be the grossest thing ever and then enjoying it. Why would they even sell baked beans in tomato sauce if they're not going to put them on toast? The only other things I could imagine doing with them is sneaking them into a chilli, eating them with potatoes or having them as part of a fried breakfast.

corned beef + smash +beans

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: gib on May 31, 2021, 10:06:24 AM
I understand that they are sold as a British speciality or as 'vegetarian beans' because they usually put lumps of pork in the can with the beans.

Sausage, chips and beans for tea.
Chicken nuggets, chips, cheese and BEANS.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 31, 2021, 10:00:08 AM
. Why would they even sell baked beans in tomato sauce if they're not going to put them on toast? The only other things I could imagine doing with them is sneaking them into a chilli, eating them with potatoes or having them as part of a fried breakfast.

Mix in a load of brown sugar and molasses, top with bacon and bake them again until they go dry and sticky enough to have on a paper plate at a picnic.