Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:25:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seepage

Quote from: gib on May 31, 2021, 10:06:24 AM
I understand that they are sold as a British speciality or as 'vegetarian beans' because they usually put lumps of pork in the can with the beans.

Sausage, chips and beans for tea.

Pie + beans + coleslaw here

earl_sleek

Better or worse than than neighbouring Bedfordshire's old (and lying) signs?

Mr Banlon

Quote from: kalowski on May 31, 2021, 09:58:38 AM
In David Millar's autobiography, Racing Through the Dark he mentions when he rode for an Italian cycling team the Italian riders would often say to him, "David, is it true the the British have beans for breakfast?"
They were worried beans were performance enhancing : https://youtu.be/WOAtBNx2a0o?t=28

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: earl_sleek on May 31, 2021, 04:18:07 PM
Better or worse than than neighbouring Bedfordshire's old (and lying) signs?

Maybe it's 'Progressive' as in Prog.

Pseudopath

Quote from: studpuppet on May 31, 2021, 02:17:56 PM

Nothing says "We've achieved nothing of note in the past 400 years" better than this:

Cool bear though.

JaDanketies

Rochdale's is very cool considering how little the town has going for it.

I always thought it was literally true but it turns out it's not that true, although it's still pretty impressive:

QuoteAlthough other co-operatives preceded them, the Rochdale Pioneers' co-operative became the prototype for societies in Great Britain. The Rochdale Pioneers are most famous for designing the Rochdale Principles, a set of principles of co-operation that provide the foundation for the principles on which co-ops around the world operate to this day. The model the Rochdale Pioneers used is a focus of study within co-operative economics.

They got a museum about it too, on Toad Lane.

olliebean

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 31, 2021, 09:01:00 PM
Nothing says "We've achieved nothing of note in the past 400 years" better than this:

Cool bear though.

Apparently it's known for chasing people off.

They should update it to Simon Pegg's County.

Or Tony Tobin's County.

But they won't, because they're living in the past.

famethrowa

idunnosomename

i love marvelling at the fucking half arsed branding while crossing county borders

yet C Durham still sticks with the wonderful statement that their bishop has a fuckin castle mate

Mr Banlon

seepage

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 01, 2021, 03:56:51 PM
yet C Durham still sticks with the wonderful statement that their bishop has a fuckin castle mate

It's daft that D&D clerics can't wield swords, isn't it?

olliebean

Quote from: Mr Banlon on June 01, 2021, 04:20:31 PM
Middlesex : ?

Middlesex's essentially stole Essex's coat of arms and whacked a crown on top of it. Bit of a cheek as it was originally part of the Kingdom of Essex.

seepage

^ Seax = 'sex, geddit?

(My partner's fed up of me constantly pointing out that knife thing is called a seax).

Brian Freeze

The Lancashire one still cracks me up even after all these years. Whoever "invented" it is probably laughing harder and longer though.

Icehaven

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 31, 2021, 09:01:00 PM

Cool bear though.

Until the county boundaries were changed in the 70s Coventry's slogan was "The City in Shakespeare Country", presumably because "Home of the Original Peeping Tom" or "The City that got Bombed to a Pancake in WW2" were rejected so claiming a connection to something that happened 20 miles down the road was all that was left.

There were still signs with it on well into the 90s though as I can remember my Mum mocking them whenever we drove past one. Wouldn't be that surprised if there's still some up today tbh.

Who!? Does what!?

And in next week's episode Eminem looks at the history of the Loch Ness Monster.

Gulftastic

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 31, 2021, 09:23:54 PM
Rochdale's is very cool considering how little the town has going for it.

I always thought it was literally true but .

Good, but they're no Oldham

steve98

If I had any jokes or fun things to say about tubes I'd say them, and then I'd say - O get me with my tubular badinage. But I don't.

Andy147

Quote from: seepage on June 01, 2021, 05:25:59 PM
^ Seax = 'sex, geddit?

(My partner's fed up of me constantly pointing out that knife thing is called a seax).

Incidentally, the Wiki page for seax claims that "Saxon" is derived from "seax", while the page for Saxon only says it may be.

gilbertharding

Quote from: steve98 on June 03, 2021, 09:32:50 PM
If I had any jokes or fun things to say about tubes I'd say them, and then I'd say - O get me with my tubular badinage. But I don't.

'Tubular' is some kind of Californian or New Age slang for something (rad? gnarly?) though. So Tubular Badinage needn't necessarily be strictly geometric.

NoSleep

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 04, 2021, 10:13:10 AM
'Tubular' is some kind of Californian or New Age slang for something (rad? gnarly?) though. So Tubular Badinage needn't necessarily be strictly geometric.

Tubular as slang probably derives from surfing originally, for example, the use of the term "Tube City" in Apocalypse Now to describe the quality of the surfing at a certain location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LztWlsHcivk&t=84s

touchingcloth

Mr_Simnock