Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:20:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Reminds me of the decorations on temples in Asia:

South India seems to be especially prone to this sort of aesthetic.

The purpose of places of worship was to provide escapism to malnourished, hungry people exhausted on their only day off after 6 long days of hard work. The colours and lights, incense and chanting of repetitive liturgy would induce a kind of psychedelic ecstasy.

These days people are generally more comfortable and charismatic religious experiences are generally looked down on by established churches.

phes

Subbuteo is named after the raptor Hobby (Falco Subbuteo). He was prevented from calling the game Hobby by a trademark.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 15, 2021, 11:54:29 AM

The purpose of places of worship was to provide escapism to malnourished, hungry people exhausted on their only day off after 6 long days of hard work. The colours and lights, incense and chanting of repetitive liturgy would induce a kind of psychedelic ecstasy.

If you want to find properly, eyeball-nukingly garish-coloured clothes, accessories and furnishings, Indian sellers on Etsy and eBay are pretty hard to beat.

It's criminal that British tastes tend towards the muted pea soup greens of Farrow & Ball, who act like they are recreating authentic Regency paint palettes, when really they're only recreating what happens to a once-bright paint after 200 years of sun exposure. Turn the saturation up a little, you pricks.

NoSleep

NoSleep

uBlock Origin did nothing here. Plus the link I provided (for posterity) will outlast the expired website.

olliebean

It doesn't get rid of it by default, I meant I used the element zapper to hide the overlay.

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on June 16, 2021, 12:22:11 PM
It doesn't get rid of it by default, I meant I used the element zapper to hide the overlay.

I use the element blocker on the CaB header and avatars so I don't get rumbled at work.

Andy147

Quote from: phes on June 15, 2021, 11:27:07 PM
Subbuteo is named after the raptor Hobby (Falco Subbuteo). He was prevented from calling the game Hobby by a trademark.

I think it's that he was prevented from trademarking the name Hobby because it's too generic.

touchingcloth

touchingcloth

"President of the US" is the third profession listed for Donald Trump on his wiki page, after "media personality" and "businessman". Ronald Reagan's acting isn't mentioned until the second sentence of his article.

canadagoose

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 15, 2021, 11:54:29 AM
Reminds me of the decorations on temples in Asia:

These days people are generally more comfortable and charismatic religious experiences are generally looked down on by established churches.
Or protestants (self included) are miserable cunts and forced everyone else into being miserable cunts because it's virtuous, or something

Mr Banlon

I was told it came from "It's-a-beauty-o" an Italian football chant.

Rizla

John Turturro directed a remake of Les Valseuses  as a spin-off vehicle for his paedo bowler Jesus character from The Big Lebowski.

phes

Quote from: Andy147 on June 16, 2021, 10:50:56 PM
I think it's that he was prevented from trademarking the name Hobby because it's too generic.

That makes more sense! That bit did seem puzzling

studpuppet

Eventually found its way onto the logo.

The original set had paper goals, cardboard players, and a piece of chalk for you to mark out your own pitch on an ex-Army blanket (easily obtained in the late 1940s).

https://www.subbuteoworld.co.uk/1948-original-subbuteo-set-with-cut-out-teams-paper-goals-price-list-paperwork

NoSleep

So successful are they that Earth can be described as the planet of the chickens (around 25 billion currently).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcY6jWELiZQ

Cuellar

Fr.Bigley

popcorn

Quote from: Cuellar on June 17, 2021, 09:33:56 AM
Subbuteo was utter shit, wasn't it

Listen, man, as the website says, Subbuteo is a classic table football game which remains high popularity over the world!

touchingcloth

Quote from: studpuppet on June 17, 2021, 09:27:14 AM
Eventually found its way onto the logo.

The original set had paper goals, cardboard players, and a piece of chalk for you to mark out your own pitch on an ex-Army blanket (easily obtained in the late 1940s).

https://www.subbuteoworld.co.uk/1948-original-subbuteo-set-with-cut-out-teams-paper-goals-price-list-paperwork

There was apparently a 7" Subbuteo record which featured crowd noises, commentary and a footballs song:

SINGING HO-HO-HO SUBBUTEO

They will all come round the mountains when they come,

When they win they'll come to Munich - bang the drum!

They will dream of fame and glory, from Leeds to Tobermory,

They'll all come round the mountain, when they come.

Singing Ho, Ho, Ho, Subbuteo, Singing Ho, Ho, Ho, Subbuteo,

From each continent and island, from your land and from my land,

They're all bound for Munich as they go.

Oh, the French boy and the German will be there,

The Italian, Dutch and one from Angleterre,

They will come from Wales and Norway, they'll be found in every doorway,

And Switzerland will come to Munich Fair.

Singing Ho, Ho, Ho, Subbuteo, Singing Ho, Ho, Ho, Subbuteo,

Denmark, Belgium, Cyprus, China, they will come from Asia Minor,

Singing Ho, Ho, Ho, Subbuteo

Now John Waddington will send a trophy bold,

lt may be made of silver or fine gold,

But the boys will come to win it and drink the stuff that's in it,

And finish as their fathers did of old.

Singing Ho, Ho, Ho, Subbuteo,

Belgium, Brummagen, Belfast and Borneo,

With excitement will be bubblin' from gay Paree to Dublin,

Singing HO, HO, HO, SUBBUTEO!

Nice one Cyril, Nice one Son, Nice one Cyriiiil... Let's 'ave another one!

https://friendsofoldsubbuteo.uk/music/the-subbuteo-sound/

Another (older) company had a bitter rivalry with Subbuteo in the flickbait arena:

Newfooty came up with the idea of flicking the figures with the fingers towards the ball and was the initial table football (soccer) game long before Subbuteo Table Soccer (Football).

Nice one, Cyriiiiiiil.

studpuppet

My favourite bit of Subbuteo was their World Of Sport Compendium - only made for one year and included football, rugby and cricket (i.e. their two shit games as well as footy). Sold so poorly, that they used to give them away to employees as retirement/long service gifts. I'm sure the people who received them weren't best pleased, but if they'd kept hold of them...

https://www.subbuteoworld.co.uk/1981-subbuteo-world-of-sport-compendium-ref-s250

Cuellar

Quote from: popcorn on June 17, 2021, 10:09:34 AM
Listen, man, as the website says, Subbuteo is a classic table football game which remains high popularity over the world!

You're telling me! Look at these complete twats!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6XUus3z4sw

Icehaven

Adam Buxton and Jacob Rees-Mogg are the same age. I mean I know Rees-Mogg's shtick is being prematurely old, but even so, wtf?! Buckles is permanently stuck at about 30 to me as well, which exacerbates it.

Icehaven

Quote from: olliebean on June 17, 2021, 08:41:15 PM
Not happy about Rees-Mogg being younger than me.

If you think about it he's not really younger than anyone.

touchingcloth

I thought you were joking about Rees-Mogg's age, but I've just googled him and he's fucking thirty one?????

touchingcloth