Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:30:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

studpuppet

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 26, 2018, 09:16:57 PM
Big Mo from Eastenders is Gary Oldman's sister.

Not only that; her stage name (Laila Morse) is an anagram of Mia Sorella ('my sister') given to her by Isabella Rossellini who was Oldman's girlfriend at the time.

studpuppet

biggytitbo

Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles was said by Jasper Carrot in the 80s not John Lennon.

biggytitbo

Serge

Howj Begg

Quote from: studpuppet on March 28, 2018, 05:23:35 PM
I've just found out that one of the philosophers is playing himself in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6nI1v7mwwA

Who?? My guess was Jaspers but he died in 1969, before the sketch was done surely?

Edit: you mean Beckenbauer, don't you. Duh.

Ferris

Quote from: Serge on April 01, 2018, 01:53:19 PM
It actually has a mere two - an inside and an outside.

Imagine being at Giza and discovering in yourself a deep appreciation of pyramids. That only has an upside (the fewest number of sides possible).

studpuppet

Quote from: Howj Begg on April 01, 2018, 02:05:34 PM
Edit: you mean Beckenbauer, don't you. Duh.

Yeah - but even then. "Yes Franz, even though you're captain of club and country and the veteran of two World Cups, we'd like you to dress up in full kit for this comedy sketch by a bunch of English guys that you've never heard of."

Howj Begg

Quote from: studpuppet on April 01, 2018, 03:58:14 PM
Yeah - but even then. "Yes Franz, even though you're captain of club and country and the veteran of two World Cups, we'd like you to dress up in full kit for this comedy sketch by a bunch of English guys that you've never heard of."

Yeh, no its very cool that he appeared in it! I watched it several times after I realised and couldn't find a good shot of his face, sadly.

bgmnts

Quote from: studpuppet on April 01, 2018, 03:58:14 PM

The really surprising thing is is that, as good as he was, he didn't have any influence on the game at all.

biggytitbo

Mr Banlon

Shrapnel is named after a bloke called Henry Shrapnel, the inventor a bomb that shot out loads of metal fragments when exploded.
Did not know that. Just found it out after watching Eggheads.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Mr Banlon on April 05, 2018, 06:14:04 PM
Shrapnel is named after a bloke called Henry Shrapnel, the inventor a bomb that shot out loads of metal fragments when exploded.
Did not know that. Just found it out after watching Eggheads.

The Qwerty keyboard was invented by the Hungarian inventor Qwerty Uiop, who left his mark by signing his name on the home row.

daf

Hearing Thomas Dolby pronounce Rizla as "Ritzla" on Adam Buxton's podcast (like and subscribe, please like and subscribe . . ), I wondered if the 'She Blinded me with Science' hit-maker was right, and everyone else has been saying it wrong all this time.  I mean, he is an 80's pop boffin after all - so would probably know.

He's wrong.

. . . But everyone else is also wrong : it's 'Riz La Croix' (rizla+) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQRMd-6jCFc

QuoteIn 1865, a change was made to the formula—the tissue previously used in the papers was replaced with paper made from rice. It is this change to rice paper that caused the name "RizLa+" to finally emerge: a combination of the French word Riz (meaning rice) with "La" and a cross, representing the Lacroix family name, which literally means "The Cross".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rizla#Creation

So next time your in your local tobboganist (and you hear the beep), remember to ask for "rizlacrooagh"!

Psmith

People in "olden times" thought migratory birds grew in trees.One day they weren't and the next ,they were there.

Some migratory birds and their habits  are still a wondrous mystery.

More of a how did I never put 2+2 together.

80's alt-comedy birthplace night The Comic Strip started at at the Raymond Revuebar - a famous strip club.

biggytitbo

Quote from: gib on May 05, 2018, 01:33:16 PM
a labrador is a working dog, spanish

If your dog doesnt work, then maybe check that you put the batteries in the wrong way round.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Psmith on May 05, 2018, 06:38:23 AM
People in "olden times" thought migratory birds grew in trees.

What a bunch of fucking idiots.

The Lurker

There are more golf courses in America than there are McDonald's

biggytitbo

There are more golf courses in America than there are people. In order to fit them all in they often have to stack them 3 or 4 stories high.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: The Lurker on May 05, 2018, 05:35:28 PM
There are more golf courses in America than there are McDonald's

That's only counting the ones that are actually inside of a McDonald's
There's no way to count all of them

biggytitbo

The Queen owns a Macdonalds doesn't she, although she prefers Burger King personally.

shiftwork2

shiftwork2

By that of course I am referring to her being very fond of a bit of cock, as well as supermarket whisky and woodbines.  And who can blame her?  Your Majesty!

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 06, 2018, 11:38:57 PM
Jeremy Dyson from The League Of Gentleman has been in a leftfield folk/ Nu Wave band called Rudolf Rocker for over twenty years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwwNmfasZi8

Also, mid-80s gothy types Flowers For Agatha.  They were a lot better before he joined if memory serves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3jgWKeLrtY

idunnosomename

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on May 05, 2018, 01:38:47 PM
What a bunch of fucking idiots.

They are called barnacle geese because olden day people thought they came from barnacles

I mean, these old idiots. This also meant you could eat them on a Friday because they counted as fish.