Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:50:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: Darles Chickens on May 15, 2018, 01:36:08 PM
I had no idea it was exactly the same day either!  I only became aware recently of UK "Dennis" actually being "Dennis the Menace" in the States.  In Spain, the character is called "Daniel el Travieso" (Naughty Daniel), and my Spanish wife thought it very strange that her description of "Dennis the Menace" didn't even vaguely match with my idea of how he looked.

I wonder if the two characters' names came from some kind of common inspiration?  Was the word "menace" trending on Twitter around that kind of time?

No. Twitter didn't exist in the 1950s! Now can someone post the 'that's the joke' meme please?

New page preposterous tales now then now then.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on May 15, 2018, 06:55:39 PM
The disclaimer This is a work of fiction. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events, is purely coincidental was put at the end of all fictitious US films after an exiled Russian Prince, Felix Youssoupoff sued MGM claiming defamation over a film they made about Rasputin saying he should know how the monk had died being one of the people who murdered him to death:

https://forgottenhistoryblog.com/rasputin-is-the-reason-for-work-of-fiction-disclaimers-in-movie-credits/

Actually was a recently rediscovered first page of the bible.

Andy147

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 13, 2018, 10:51:03 PM
Americans who acquire the nickname "Skip" do so because they have been given their grandfather's first name. The name has "skipped" a generation.

Likewise, "Trey" (as in Parker) or "Trip" if they are the third with the same name.

shiftwork2

So James Bond III out of The Red Hand Gang and, it appears, all manner of 70s US telly, was Trip Bond?  Because I don't think there's ever been a cooler name than that.

I am making the sizeable assumption that he was christened James Bond.

Cerys

Quote from: buzby on May 15, 2018, 09:24:07 AM
his other daughter, Charley's twin sister Telsche, played the Lady Of The Lake

Isn't it a bit unusual for twins to have an age gap of a decade of so?

buzby

Quote from: Cerys on May 16, 2018, 01:38:21 AM
Isn't it a bit unusual for twins to have an age gap of a decade of so?
Sorry, wrong sibling and film - Daisy Boorman is Charley's twin sister. Daisy and Telsche appeared in Zardoz together as two of the Eternals.

phantom_power

The latest episode of Gotham was directed by ex-Radio 1 DJ Tommy Tonderai

biggytitbo

If you travel North (assuming the earth is a globe), you will eventually be going south, but if you go east you will always be going east.

Dr Rock

No, you'd get to the North Pole and be unable to move. Trust me, I've done it a few times.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 16, 2018, 09:38:20 PM
If you travel North (assuming the earth is a globe), you will eventually be going south, but if you go east you will always be going east.

Remind me never to go hiking with you.

idunnosomename

The earth is a globe. Go post that in the obvious things thread

olliebean

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 16, 2018, 09:38:20 PM

What if you go north-east?

Dr Rock

Quote from: olliebean on May 16, 2018, 10:04:26 PM
What if you go north-east?

You spiral round the globe until you hit the North Pole at the top, and then you can't move, You could keep going east, with one hand on the pole but that wouldn't be north-east, so you're stuck. Every single time.

George White

Quote from: Darles Chickens on May 15, 2018, 01:36:08 PM
I had no idea it was exactly the same day either!  I only became aware recently of UK "Dennis" actually being "Dennis the Menace" in the States.  In Spain, the character is called "Daniel el Travieso" (Naughty Daniel), and my Spanish wife thought it very strange that her description of "Dennis the Menace" didn't even vaguely match with my idea of how he looked.

I wonder if the two characters' names came from some kind of common inspiration?  Was the word "menace" trending on Twitter around that kind of time?
I think there was a music hall song called Dennis the Menace, not to be confused with the Rosemary Clooney song, a cash-in on the US comic strip that my gran would sing to me whenever I read the Beano.

biggytitbo

North, East etc are stupid on a globe anyway, north for someone in the UK is a completely different direction to north for someone in Africa or Australia. Our association with north and up is also completely imaginary.

George White

http://retromash.com/2017/03/03/that-time-when-a-teenage-paul-gambaccini-and-george-r-r-martin-appeared-in-the-fantastic-four/  Paul Gambaccini and George RR Martin were rival teenage fanboys.
Knew that they were both serial letter writers, but not that they had a rivalry.

gib

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 17, 2018, 09:55:13 AM
North, East etc are stupid on a globe anyway, north for someone in the UK is a completely different direction to north for someone in Africa or Australia. Our association with north and up is also completely imaginary.

If it really were a globe then if you went to the tip of south america your compass would have to point down at the floor for it to point to the so called north pole.

Dr Rock

Shit Good Nose

Just found out Rami Malek is American.  All these years, ever since I first saw him in Night At the Museum, I thought he was English.

The Lurker

In Nigeria, Dundee United is a slang term for an idiot due to their disastrous tour there in the 70s.

Jockice

Myself and my girlfriend live at the same house number in different houses. My sister has recently moved house and she now lives at the same number too.

ollyboro

Quote from: The Lurker on May 18, 2018, 11:32:33 PM
In Nigeria, Dundee United is a slang term for an idiot due to their disastrous tour there in the 70s.

Clearly a film waiting to be made, right there. "The Arabs And The ???" Dunno about the rest of the film's title. Are we post-racist yet?

Ferris

That's amazing.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Jockice on May 21, 2018, 10:54:52 PM
Myself and my girlfriend live at the same house number in different houses. My sister has recently moved house and she now lives at the same number too.

I've lived in 5 different houses and they've all been numbered either 12 or 14.

canadagoose

Hahaha, that's made my day. I'll remember that one.