Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:45:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psmith

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Psmith on September 21, 2018, 05:34:42 AM
if you press F11 all the Google gubbins on the top disappears.

F11 is full screen.  Therefore the "Google gubbins" is presumably a load of toolbars on your browser.  You can get rid of some of those, you know.

studpuppet

In Doctor Who-related news, I've only just discovered the rumour that Patrick Troughton died of a heart attack while tupping an American fan at a convention.
And related to that, Dudley Dursley from the Harry Potter films is his grandson.

George White

Paul Shane DID NOT sing the theme to Hi-De-Hi.
He sang the single release, but not the version used in the TV series.
That was sung by....

Ken Barrie.
Voice of Postman Pat, and king of the library music vocalists.

non capisco

^ Next you'll be telling me Nicholas Lyndhurst didn't sing the Only Fools and Horses theme!!

George White

non capisco

That's a top bit of trivia, never knew that. I did think for years that it was Rodders singing both tunes and I gather that's not an uncommon misassumption. 

'Hookie Street' and the opening one from OFAH, that is. I never thought it was Rodney Trotter singing 'Holiday Rock'.

Icehaven

George White

Quote from: non capisco on September 27, 2018, 10:39:38 PM
That's a top bit of trivia, never knew that. I did think for years that it was Rodders singing both tunes and I gather that's not an uncommon misassumption. 

'Hookie Street' and the opening one from OFAH, that is. I never thought it was Rodney Trotter singing 'Holiday Rock'.
His voice is a lot deeper than Lyndhurst's, at the time, certainly.

Mr Banlon

76 US Air Force B-52 Stratofortress heavy-bombers are still in service today.
There hasn't been a new one built since 1962, so every one of them is at least 56 years old.
The B-52 has been in service longer than the gap between the Wright brothers first 852ft flight to the first man in space.

Ferris

Ian McShane is quite short. He's my height for fucks sake.

He has so much presence he seems about 8 foot tall.

Icehaven

Cosmetic surgeons have an official professional organisation called the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, which goes by the acronym BAAPS.

Jockice

Dr Who played Terri Hooley's wife in Good Vibrations.

Perhaps not amazing as such (after all she is an actress) but I've seen the entirely of that film about four times and have watched the bit where John Peel plays Teenage Kicks twice probably a couple of dozen times and I'd never have recognised her. It was only by reading a review of a stage version of the film that I realised who she was.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 04, 2018, 01:26:35 AM
Ian McShane is quite short. He's my height for fucks sake.

He has so much presence he seems about 8 foot tall.

Charles Aznavour was just 2 inches taller than Ronnie Corbett.

Makes me wonder how tall the woman he's dancing with is.

a duncandisorderly

while they were recording "stayin' alive", the beegees drummer dennis bryon had to leave the chateau d'herouville & deal with the death of his mother. the band wanted to finish recording the song, so they got the engineer to copy off & cut into a tape-loop a few bars of the drums from "night fever". no pro-tools then.

they transferred this to the multitrack & recorded the song, intending to replace the loop with bryon's playing when he got back but they never did.

they subsequently used the same drum loop on "more than a woman" & later on streisand's "woman in love".

AVR2

Quote from: studpuppet on September 22, 2018, 11:18:18 PM
In Doctor Who-related news, I've only just discovered the rumour that Patrick Troughton died of a heart attack while tupping an American fan at a convention

Definitely the exact opposite of a rumour. Truffton was an infamous serial shagger. There are corroborated stories of him driving round London dropping off maintenance money to the mothers of unofficial baby Troughtons.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on October 04, 2018, 11:57:17 AM
Dr Who played Terri Hooley's wife in Good Vibrations.

Perhaps not amazing as such (after all she is an actress) but I've seen the entirely of that film about four times and have watched the bit where John Peel plays Teenage Kicks twice probably a couple of dozen times and I'd never have recognised her. It was only by reading a review of a stage version of the film that I realised who she was.

Here she is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Gb_Hb_7f4

Fabian Thomsett

Fred Astaire was not a Dennis Potter fan

QuoteFred Astaire, who was powerless to prevent the reuse of the footage from his film Follow the Fleet, detested Pennies from Heaven: "I have never spent two more miserable hours in my life. Every scene was cheap and vulgar. They don't realize that the '30s were a very innocent age, and that [the film] should have been set in the '80s – it was just froth; it makes you cry it's so distasteful."

Black Ship

Halloween star Jamie Lee Curtis is the daughter of the actress from the Psycho shower scene (Janet Leigh).

Norton Canes

hummingofevil

The long standing and false rumours that Jamie Lee Curtis was born hermaphrodite are simply a misunderstanding of the fact she has both her mother and father's name.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on October 23, 2018, 02:37:53 PM
Fred Astaire was not a Dennis Potter fan

QuoteFred Astaire, who was powerless to prevent the reuse of the footage from his film Follow the Fleet, detested Pennies from Heaven: "I have never spent two more miserable hours in my life. Every scene was cheap and vulgar. They don't realize that the '30s were a very innocent age, and that [the film] should have been set in the '80s – it was just froth; it makes you cry it's so distasteful."

Christ, what a twat. The idea that the 30's were innocent is ridiculous, and the movie is something of a masterpiece too.