Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:22:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kane Jones

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 21, 2017, 02:34:20 PM
Yesterday, some phone in caller to 6Music claimed that the name of John Squires' shortlived band, The Seahorses was an anagram of "He hates Roses". Bit pointed, John.

I'm with John. Quality Street are far better.

Twit 2

Chairman Bodog

Quote from: bgmnts on December 22, 2017, 07:57:24 AM
America spends 465 billion dollars on Christmas presents every year and that could easily end world hunger. Mental.

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 22, 2017, 08:46:25 AM
You can't eat a Christmas present (unless it's fruit jellies or a ham)  you silly man.

Plus Eithiopia doesn't have any money, genius.

Sebastian Cobb

It occurred to me the other day that the reason Lyons tea called their groundbreaking mainframe computer LEO (Lyons Electronic Office) was probably a nod to Leo the Lion from MGM films and that.

Sebastian Cobb

Whilst Subtitling uses voice recognition, the software isn't yet good enough to do video feeds directly without training so its someones job to listen to video and respeak it clearly for the computer to pick up.

I thought they either did it directly or used stenographers.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 22, 2017, 08:40:35 PM
It occurred to me the other day that the reason Lyons tea called their groundbreaking mainframe computer LEO (Lyons Electronic Office) was probably a nod to Leo the Lion from MGM films and that.
Leo is the ancient Greek word for lion.

Sebastian Cobb

Twed

Howj Begg

Twed

I fucked my hat on discovering that Charlotte Church has some amazingly good political views: http://www.refinery29.uk/2016/10/124543/charlotte-church-politics

I thought she'd be politically aligned with Vorderman or something

bgmnts

It's rare to see a Welsh person not thick as pig shit, politically.

Well in Church!

Gulftastic

Quote from: Twed on December 28, 2017, 06:03:32 PM
I fucked my hat on discovering that Charlotte Church has some amazingly good political views: http://www.refinery29.uk/2016/10/124543/charlotte-church-politics

She's awesome. Turned into a sexy Earth mother. And just imagine...'Oh, sweet mystery of life at last I've found youuuuu...'

QDRPHNC

Quote from: bgmnts on December 22, 2017, 07:57:24 AM
America spends 465 billion dollars on Christmas presents every year and that could easily end world hunger. Mental.

Might involve a few logistical hurdles.

Serge

Quote from: Twed on December 28, 2017, 03:34:35 AM
Simon Greenall isn't a Geordie.

Although I've known this for a while, I was surprised when I first found out as well. It was also several years after 'Our Friends In The North' aired that I realised that Daniel Craig wasn't actually a Geordie either.

Gulftastic

In their adverts, Bisto gravy used to sing about 'Brown, seasons, thickens all in one'.

I never twigged that this was related to their name, and also didn't know that this was why they are called Bisto in the first place.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Twed on December 28, 2017, 06:03:32 PM

nope shes a good one AND she knows the word 'eschaton' !

shiftwork2

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 28, 2017, 08:58:54 PM
In their adverts, Bisto gravy used to sing about 'Brown, seasons, thickens all in one'.

I never twigged that this was related to their name, and also didn't know that this was why they are called Bisto in the first place.

Bstaio.

Paul Calf

Until fairly recently, the BSkyB offices had a room where part-time workers were paid to sit and watch TV and make notes of which ads were shown because they had no other way of monitoring whether they were showing the ads their clients had paid for.

non capisco

Quote from: Twit 2 on December 29, 2017, 12:27:25 AM
John le Carre is a pen name.

Well a wick wick wack and a wack wack womething
Yes, his real name is David something

Cold Meat Platter

Bobby Womack was part of the team who invented the sponge finger.

daf

Also it wasn't him in Womack and Womack - that was his brother Cecil.

Linda (the other Womack) before marrying Cecil, was Sam Cooke's daughter, and later Bobby's step-daughter AND girlfriend - until the then Mrs Bobby (and ex-mrs Cooke) found out about it and promptly popped a cap in his ass!

Serge

Quote from: non capisco on December 29, 2017, 12:31:17 AM
Well a wick wick wack and a wack wack womething
Yes, his real name is David something

David Cornwell. His half-sister is the actress Charlotte Cornwell.

Ferris

Jerry Sadowitz plays the eponymous Ebeneezer Goode in the music video for the 1992 hit, apparently.

thraxx

The word Vinegar comes from fhe french word Vinaigre, but the big news is that this literally means 'sour wine'. Astonishing scenes here, Clive.

Gulftastic

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 29, 2017, 06:58:40 PM
Jerry Sadowitz plays the eponymous Ebeneezer Goode in the music video for the 1992 hit, apparently.

And I've just realised that the fake Richard Ashcroft in the 'Vindaloo' video is played by Paul Kaye.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: thraxx on December 29, 2017, 07:02:11 PM
The word Vinegar comes from fhe french word Vinaigre, but the big news is that this literally means 'sour wine'. Astonishing scenes here, Clive.

I'll be needing a new hat now, this one's knackered