Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:15:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Salmonella is not named after or related to the fish salmon but rather a veterinary surgeon whose surname was Salmon.

daf

"Blowing smoke up your arse"

These days it generally means some form of insincere flattery, but it was originally a medical procedure practiced by the old sawbones to resuscitate people who were otherwise presumed dead (usually by drowning) :

Quoteone of the earliest documented references of using such a tobacco enema to resuscitate someone came from someone using a smoking pipe in 1746.  In this case, the man's wife had nearly drowned and was unconscious.  It was suggested that an emergency tobacco enema might revive her, at which point the husband of the woman took a pipe filled with burning tobacco, shoved the stem into his wife's rectum and then covered the other end of the pipe with his mouth and blew.  As one would imagine, hot embers of tobacco being blown up her rectum had the intended effect and she was, indeed, revived.

olliebean

The word pool, as in a betting pool, is derived from the French word poule, meaning chicken, because the French used to gamble on who could hit a chicken with a rock.

George White

Apparently there's a Dick Fiddy interview online where he says that HBO for Tales from the Crypt S3, wanted to reedit OFAH - Miami Twice and Bernard and the Genie into TFTC. Anyone heard this?

biggytitbo

Gregory Torso

Quote from: George White on November 16, 2018, 10:27:59 PM
Apparently there's a Dick Fiddy interview online where he says that HBO for Tales from the Crypt S3, wanted to reedit OFAH - Miami Twice and Bernard and the Genie into TFTC. Anyone heard this?

I really want to understand this sentence, but I just can't.

biggytitbo

George White

The BFI's Dick Fiddy apparently once said in an interview that HBO for the third series of Tales from the Crypt wanted to show cutdown versions of Only Fools and Horses - Miami Twice (presumably all the Don Ochetti stuff) and Bernard and the Genie with Lenny Henry, but edited into kind of horror/suspense stories.

pigamus

A wog isn't a West Indian. Even though the Major from Fawlty Towers explained that specific point to me.

olliebean

The word "feisty" means "like a feist," a feist being a small scrappy dog. But the word "feist" derives from the Old English verb "fist," meaning to break wind. I guess small dogs were known for being particularly flatulent at the time, so were described as "fisting curs," eventually shortened to "feists."

So "feisty" literally means "farty," which puts a fresh perspective on most of the post-2005 female Doctor Who companions.

daf

Perennial Columbo guest villain Jack Cassidy * :

. . . was the dad of TV's Keith Partridge - Sensational pop dreamboat David Cassidy!!

- - - - - - - - - - - -
* (who got divorced when Dave was 3, remarried Shirley Jones, who - his real life step-mum - then went on to play Dave's fictional mum in The Partridge Family)

Gulftastic

Virginia Hey, who played the Warrior Woman in Mad Max II, also played the woman who is lowered into a giant test tube in the video for The Buggles hit (and first video ever on MTV) 'Video Killed The Radio Star.

This lass:

Fabian Thomsett

The lyrics to Teddy Bears' Picnic were written 25 years after the melody

Quote"The Teddy Bears' Picnic" is a song consisting of a melody by American composer John Walter Bratton, written in 1907, and lyrics added by Irish songwriter Jimmy Kennedy in 1932.

Too Drunk to Fuck by the Dead Kennedys was originally recorded as a ballad by Val Doonican.*

* (I've just checked Wikipedia and it doesn't appear to be true).

Icehaven

Michael Sheen and Sarah Silverman were a couple (they just broke up though).

Dex Sawash

Mr Banlon

It's been noted on here before, but I've just realised that 'Crazy Earl' from Full Metal Jacket is Hufford Snr from the Brass Eye 'Crime' episode.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: icehaven on November 30, 2018, 06:59:04 AM
Michael Sheen and Sarah Silverman were a couple (they just broke up though).

Because he wanted to do a programme to find out why Brits voted for Brexit and she wanted to go after Trump, and they wouldn't be able to see each other for ages. Honest.

Or as the illiterate BBC website put it on Thursday, their break-up has caused politics.

buttgammon

Damnit! If only I knew she liked (or at least was able to tolerate) moderately irritating Welsh men before I got into a long-term relationship.

Pseudopath

He's also balls deep in been romantically-linked with Aisling Bea. Not forgetting his eight-year relationship with Kate Beckinsale.

Dude's a major-league pussy-crusher.

biggytitbo

Only because he does the Brian Clough voice whilst boffing them. Sexy ladies love that.

Jockice

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 01, 2018, 11:59:03 AM
Only because he does the Brian Clough voice whilst boffing them. Sexy ladies love that.

Now listen here young...er...woman.

Paul Calf

"I might not have been the first to climax...but I was in the top one."

petril

"If God had meant us to shag in the air, he'd have put beds in the clouds"

Norton Canes

Was just looking at Wikipedia and noticed that the Latin for 'Vague year'* is annus vagus, which I am ashamed to say made me laugh.

* "An integral approximation to the year equaling 365 days, which wanders in relation to more exact years. Typically the vague year is divided into 12 schematic months of 30 days each plus 5 epagomenal days. The vague year was used in the calendars of Ancient Egypt, Iran, Armenia and in Mesoamerica among the Aztecs and Maya"