Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:27:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"F**k my Hat, I didn't know that!" Amazing things you've only just found out

Started by daf, December 14, 2017, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: Tikwid on February 28, 2019, 03:15:28 PM
In the 90s Tango ads, the "you know you've been Tango'd" voiceover at the end was done by none other than GIL! SCOTT! HERON!!!

?!?!

That is bonkers.

Ferris

petril

Quote from: Tikwid on February 28, 2019, 03:15:28 PM
In the 90s Tango ads, the "you know you've been Tango'd" voiceover at the end was done by none other than GIL! SCOTT! HERON!!!

and his dad played for Celtic

Gulftastic

George Chakiris played Bernado in 'West Side Story' and won an Oscar and a Golden Globe for doing so.

His last acting role was in a 1996 episode of 'Last Of The Summer Wine'.

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 27, 2018, 09:57:22 AM
That the Japanese love Southern Fried Chicken for Christmas day. KFC's busiest day there.

Good call to be honest.  Large pot ok KFC gravy to dip your chicken in.  Delicious.   Why are the Japs so far ahead of us in technology and Xmas food?

petril

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on March 24, 2019, 08:53:04 PM
Good call to be honest.  Large pot ok KFC gravy to dip your chicken in.  Delicious.   Why are the Japs so far ahead of us in technology and Xmas food?

used to work in the Middlesbrough KFC. every Sunday morning we'd scrap all the crackling and shite from the fryers and use it in the gravy. An hour's worth of queue in the afternoon. All just after the gravy

touchingcloth

Quote from: petrilTanaka on March 24, 2019, 10:04:14 PM
used to work in the Middlesbrough KFC. every Sunday morning we'd scrap all the crackling and shite from the fryers and use it in the gravy. An hour's worth of queue in the afternoon. All just after the gravy

Aren't those franchise places beholden to process documents and stuff so that everything tastes the same in all branches? I love the idea that one of their guides says "Sunday: throw all the crackling and shite from the fryers in the gravy".

petril

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 24, 2019, 10:22:53 PM
Aren't those franchise places beholden to process documents and stuff so that everything tastes the same in all branches? I love the idea that one of their guides says "Sunday: throw all the crackling and shite from the fryers in the gravy".

I was amazed that it was actually policy and not just a weird local thing that got done. Not sure if the manual had the word "shite" in it. Hope so, though.

a duncandisorderly

remember a few weeks ago when the jooky enbra pranged that land-rover? seems he has form:

"The SR.N1 made its first hover on 11 June 1959, and made its famed successful crossing of the English Channel on 25 July 1959. In December 1959, the Duke of Edinburgh visited Saunders-Roe at East Cowes and persuaded the chief test-pilot, Commander Peter Lamb, to allow him to take over the SR.N1's controls. He flew the SR.N1 so fast that he was asked to slow down a little. On examination of the craft afterwards, it was found that she had been dished in the bow due to excessive speed, damage that was never allowed to be repaired, and was from then on affectionately referred to as the 'Royal Dent' "

no mention of any nissan micras in the channel at the time.

pigamus

Sebastian Cobb

This doesn't surprise me too much as the consistency of the stuff is exactly the same as the shite that used to come out of the grease trap under the sink in the kitchen I potwashed in.

Twed

What do you people think gravy is supposed to be made from? Bisto granules? You scrape shit off the bottom of pans etc. and mix it with stock. That's half of the reasons people cook with stainless steel pans.

Sebastian Cobb

I know how gravy and stocks are made. I had to clean the bastarding pans. They had a contraption to pour out the good stuff from underneath the fat floating on top. KFC gravy is just like a rudimentary paste. It's probably what they fed the Northern version of Robocop on.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 04, 2019, 11:49:57 PM
I know how gravy and stocks are made. I had to clean the bastarding pans. They had a contraption to pour out the good stuff from underneath the fat floating on top. KFC gravy is just like a rudimentary paste. It's probably what they fed the Northern version of Robocop on.

Surely it was the insides of Goblin meat & gravy puddings and jars of Shippham's Meat Paste?

Cuellar

Dex Sawash

lemon verbena is just one thing, not lemon + verbena.

Probably belongs in the "boring things you didn't know that were not all that obvious" thread though.

Gregory Torso

Frank Sinatra was 50 when he married Mia Farrow who was 21. Christ Frank, you fucking leg. I knew they'd been married and their breakup affected him deeply but shit, Frank.

studpuppet

The Jules Rimet Trophy had a LID. A fucking LID!

Apparently when Brazil won it in 1970 it fell off during the celebrations* and a Mexican kid made off with it into the crowd, but was chased down by a Brazilian player who got it back**.

*Obviously the Brazilians didn't know it had a lid either, and they'd won it twice before...
** Only for the whole thing to be nicked in 1983 and never recovered.

imitationleather

Oh, so that lid my Subbuteo Jules Rimet trophy came with wasn't a packaging error!

Amazing.

phantom_power

Heather Langenkamp, star of Nightmare on Elm Streets 1, 3 and 7(?), is now a special effects co-coordinator, amongst other things, and popped up on an extra feature on the Blu-ray of Cabin in the Woods with a different surname and no mention of her scream queen past

Icehaven

Quote from: studpuppet on May 14, 2019, 10:07:50 AM
The Jules Rimet Trophy had a LID. A fucking LID!

Apparently when Brazil won it in 1970 it fell off during the celebrations* and a Mexican kid made off with it into the crowd, but was chased down by a Brazilian player who got it back**.

*Obviously the Brazilians didn't know it had a lid either, and they'd won it twice before...
** Only for the whole thing to be nicked in 1983 and never recovered.

Yes despite knowing and caring nothing about football whatsoever several years ago I felt irked, on seeing a picture of the World Cup, because it wasn't a cup, so I googled it and discovered the original one was, so that eased my mind.

the

Quote from: studpuppet on May 14, 2019, 10:07:50 AM

And very nice of the cast of On The Buses to recover it there.

Beyond the final theft, I think it ended up being awarded to a team in series 4 of Knightmare.

Ferris

Ferris

"As a result, most men have ring fingers that are longer than their index fingers, and the reverse is true in women."

Seems to be true as well.

ElTwopo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 04, 2019, 11:49:57 PM

The Northern version of Robocop was Ray Mallon, who used to be the Mayor of Middlesbrough

Well, F**k my hat!

mjwilson

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 19, 2019, 03:59:11 PM
"As a result, most men have ring fingers that are longer than their index fingers, and the reverse is true in women."

Seems to be true as well.

As a result of what?

Ferris

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on May 19, 2019, 08:39:37 PM
Exposure to testosterone in the womb, apparently.

Yeah you can ignore the "as a result" thing, I just thought it was interesting that hands are different based on your biological sex