Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,475
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:59:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vic and Bob-new series of Big Night Out

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, December 15, 2017, 06:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

I thought Andy first introduced it?  Seem to remember him saying he was trying out a new catchphrase or summat.

Replies From View

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on December 13, 2018, 07:08:09 PM
Pretty sure that originated with Bob. And then Andy added his spin by repeating it and doing it a bit too much.

Correct.

To make it simple, just remember that if something has any modicum of wit or skill behind it, then Andy definitely didn't come up with it.

Shit Good Nose

I dunno - I like the guru, and Bob clearly does too.

Also his Dom Littlewood still gets me.

the

Find it so tedious how the majority of CaB discussion about Athletico Mince has to be pointless whingeing over Andy. Can't the focus be on how good this podcast is because it's patently fucking brilliant. Provided me with more laughs per episode than anything else these last few years.

Comedy fans fucking love identifying 'The Shit One' so they can endlessly pound on them. Even in teams where there isn't a shit one, there must be a designated Shit One, and let's disproportionately carp on about what an affront they are because otherwise our critical faculties are just lying around not being cost-effective

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: the on December 14, 2018, 09:29:08 AM
Find it so tedious how the majority of CaB discussion about Athletico Mince has to be pointless whingeing over Andy. Can't the focus be on how good this podcast is because it's patently fucking brilliant. Provided me with more laughs per episode than anything else these last few years.

Comedy fans fucking love identifying 'The Shit One' so they can endlessly pound on them. Even in teams where there isn't a shit one, there must be a designated Shit One, and let's carp on about what an affront they are because otherwise our critical faculties are just lying around not being cost-effective

Quite.

I also had to remind myself that this thread was about Big Night Out and not Athletico Mince.

the

Ha - I've also only just spotted that this wasn't the AM thread, as the whingeing was that generic

poodlefaker

Mr Wobblyhands and his international phonecall was classic Novelty Island, I thought; esp. Vic's "FUUUUCK OFFFF" to him.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: the on December 14, 2018, 09:29:08 AM

Comedy fans fucking love identifying 'The Shit One' so they can endlessly pound on them. Even in teams where there isn't a shit one, there must be a designated Shit One, and let's carp on about what an affront they are because otherwise our critical faculties are just lying around not being cost-effective

Yes, absolutely.

I think Andy makes a great foil for Bob, and the two of them obviously love bouncing off each other. There's such clear affection and joy shining through the whole podcast that some of the kneejerk moaning about every single contribution he makes does get a bit tiresome.

the science eel

I thought that daftness with the wig - 'the London look' - was fallabout funny. Even though they did something similar last Xmas.

Alberon

For no reason I can work out "Jump the fuck out of your environment" spoken by a speech synthesiser was the funniest thing this episode.

GRAFITTI. BANKSY. BOLLARDS.

As mentioned upthread I'd never heard of George Ezra but he seemed game for a laugh. Bob's comments that his song "goes on a bit don't it" had me chuckling.

The whole revival has been joyous. Sad to think there's only one left now, fingers crossed for more.

poodlefaker

It seems fresh because there's nothing else on TV really like it. TV comedy is almost all just stand-up or panel shows now: there are hardly any sit-coms, let alone sketch shows. There's Harry Hill I suppose, but he's as old as them and has always been clearly influence by them. Who else would do something like the corned beef bit?

the science eel

Quote from: poodlefaker on December 14, 2018, 01:20:16 PM
It seems fresh because there's nothing else on TV really like it. TV comedy is almost all just stand-up or panel shows now: there are hardly any sit-coms, let alone sketch shows. There's Harry Hill I suppose, but he's as old as them and has always been clearly influence by them. Who else would do something like the corned beef bit?

That's it exactly (and what I said upthread). They're lucky in that they pretty much stand alone. And I'm not sure why.

I remember Bob in slightly-less-than-charitable mode saying that Ant and Dec ripped them off, and in the same interview (I think) he also mentioned some comedian stealing their paper facemask idea. I'm not sure I'd go along with him - I just think anyone choosing to mess about with silly voices and wigs runs the risk of being accused of being Vic and Bob 'copyists'.

Anyway. This series has been an absolute joy and I wish they'd do just a little bit more. I worry that they'll now put all their creative energies into this film they're planning, which....well, it isn't telly, is it?

Wet Blanket

I was surprised they got someone as high profile as George Ezra on. He must be a fan. (Not liking him is one thing, but not having heard of him? Budapest and Shotgun were huge hits)  He also helped me understand Vic was saying 'quite a boast' with his teeth in. I thought he was saying 'vol au vent' for some reason.

If they're going to rehash the free runners and Ghost Hunters sketches I hope Charity Peter makes an appearance in the final episode.

the science eel

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: the science eel on December 14, 2018, 02:10:13 PM
Shakamoto!

Alas that wouldn't be allowed now, even with the explanation of why he is the way he is, lest some sensitive shitmuncher ignores that and starts a Twitter meltdown because of the outrage.

Mango Chimes

What's the explanation? "He's Japanese"?

keir

Quote from: Wet Blanket on December 14, 2018, 02:05:57 PM
I was surprised they got someone as high profile as George Ezra on. He must be a fan. (Not liking him is one thing, but not having heard of him? Budapest and Shotgun were huge hits)  He also helped me understand Vic was saying 'quite a boast' with his teeth in. I thought he was saying 'vol au vent' for some reason.

If they're going to rehash the free runners and Ghost Hunters sketches I hope Charity Peter makes an appearance in the final episode.

I hadn't heard of him either, there's probably loads of people that have huge hits that I've never heard of.

It's possible that I'd heard that song before though, as when I do by chance hear modern pop songs a great number of them sound very much like that melodically, and they don't stick in my brain unless they've got something especially annoying about them.

Wet Blanket

Well rest assured he's a very mainstream, very high profile musician who you don't need to be into chart music to know about, the sort of person who gets referenced in newspapers and other media quite frequently, to the extent that it's surprising anybody wouldn't have heard of him, and as surprising that he'd then turn up on Big Night Out.

jobotic

Loved them shouting at Anthony. NO TOUCHING ANTHONY

Attenborough's crew were superb. Love Vic's accent in that, quite like Chris Bell.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Wet Blanket on December 14, 2018, 02:05:57 PM
I was surprised they got someone as high profile as George Ezra on. He must be a fan. (Not liking him is one thing, but not having heard of him? Budapest and Shotgun were huge hits)...

Speaking personally, I don't listen to Radio 1 or pop music in general and my music collection is comprised, for the most part, of music from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.  Not really surprising that I haven't heard of him.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on December 14, 2018, 03:12:42 PM
Well rest assured he's a very mainstream, very high profile musician who you don't need to be into chart music to know about, the sort of person who gets referenced in newspapers and other media quite frequently, to the extent that it's surprising anybody wouldn't have heard of him, and as surprising that he'd then turn up on Big Night Out.

And yet I'd never heard of him before.  Now that I have, I will gladly go about forgetting about him.  To be honest, it almost sounds as though you're offended at the notion of someone not having heard of George Ezra.  Are you George Ezra?

Wet Blanket

You don't have to be into chart music to know who some of the big pop cultural movers and shakers are. I don't watch This Morning or I'm a Celebrity but I know who Holly Willoughby is. Seems mad to me to not know who George Ezra is. Like someone in 1965 proclaiming to have never heard of Paul McCartney.

poodlefaker

Quote from: the science eel on December 14, 2018, 01:35:42 PM
I worry that they'll now put all their creative energies into this film they're planning, which....well, it isn't telly, is it?

I never thought that much of Catterick, tbh, so I wouldn't have high hopes for the film. Only saw it once, mind; I might like it more now.

keir

Quote from: Wet Blanket on December 14, 2018, 03:19:19 PM
You don't have to be into chart music to know who some of the big pop cultural movers and shakers are. I don't watch This Morning or I'm a Celebrity but I know who Holly Willoughby is. Seems mad to me to not know who George Ezra is. Like someone in 1965 proclaiming to have never heard of Paul McCartney.

I HAVE some sort of awareness of Holly Willoughby, if that helps? I have also heard of Ed Sheerhan and Kanye West. If George Ezra is the 2018 fame equivalent of Paul McCartney, what are Ed and Kanye, John and George?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Wet Blanket on December 14, 2018, 03:19:19 PM

Will it blow your mind if I tell you that I don't know who Holly Willoughby is either?  Because I don't.

Also, did you really just compare George Ezra to Paul McCartney?  George Ezra will fade into obscurity once the next big and vacuous thing in pop music comes along, whereas Paul McCartney has rightfully remained a name that is passed on down through the generations.  Fuck George Ezra.  I only just become aware of him a couple of days ago and already I'm sick of the cunt.

Wet Blanket

You're both making out that I'm the crazy one for being aware of this massively famous person

keir

Quote from: Wet Blanket on December 14, 2018, 03:28:49 PM
You're both making out that I'm the crazy one for being aware of this massively famous person

I don't know if I'm one of the 'both', but if so -

I have no issue with you being aware of George Ezra. What DOES raise my eyebrow is your position of "OMG WTF less than 100% of Earthlings have heard of George Ezra why that's crazy I never heard of such a thing", especially given that several people in this thread have revealed their prior Ezra ignorance. (Unless we're all gaslighting you).

PaulTMA

I can only presume that people from this forum haven't heard of George Ezra as he's never made anything which would get described around these parts as "a great pop song".