Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:37:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vic and Bob-new series of Big Night Out

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, December 15, 2017, 06:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Wet Blanket on December 14, 2018, 03:28:49 PM
You're both making out that I'm the crazy one for being aware of this massively famous person

I just don't know why you seemingly take such offense at those of us who have never heard of a dull as dishwater singer/songwriter, is all.  I like what I like and I don't keep up to date with things that I don't like (modern pop music included).  It's not exactly a shocking revelation.  I love videogames but I wouldn't be shocked to learn that most people couldn't tell you who Miyamoto is, you know?

Quote from: keir on December 14, 2018, 03:31:48 PM
I have no issue with you being aware of George Ezra. What DOES raise my eyebrow is your position of "OMG WTF less than 100% of Earthlings have heard of George Ezra why that's crazy I never heard of such a thing", especially given that several people in this thread have revealed their prior Ezra ignorance.

Yep.

keir

Quote from: PaulTMA on December 14, 2018, 03:32:31 PM
I can only presume that people from this forum haven't heard of George Ezra as he's never made anything which would get described around these parts as "a great pop song".

I'm sure there's people who have made great pop songs that I haven't heard of as well!

jobotic

I've heard of him, he's boring but not evil. What is more boring, and also evil, is turning a thread about Vic and Bob into one about who has and who hasn't heard of George Ezra.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: jobotic on December 14, 2018, 03:35:51 PM
I've heard of him, he's boring but not evil. What is more boring, and also evil, is turning a thread about Vic and Bob into one about who has and who hasn't heard of George Ezra.

You're right, but
Quote from: St_Eddie on December 14, 2018, 03:34:19 PM
I just don't know why you seemingly take such offense at those of us who have never heard of a dull as dishwater signer/songwriter, is all.  I like what I like and I don't keep up to date with things that I don't like (modern pop music included).  It's not exactly a shocking revelation.  I love videogames but I wouldn't be shocked to learn that most people couldn't tell you who Miyamoto is, you know?

What if I said I'd never heard of Grand Theft Auto? Or PacMan?

Also what has talent got to do with fame? Lots of people are famous who aren't very good.

keir

Quote from: Wet Blanket on December 14, 2018, 03:39:31 PM
You're right, but

Do you get George Ezra mixed up with Ed Sheeran or Kanye West, is that what's going on here? They're VERY famous.

DrGreggles

Quote from: keir on December 14, 2018, 03:41:01 PM
Do you get George Ezra mixed up with Ed Sheeran or Kanye West, is that what's going on here? They're VERY famous.

I only found out he wasn't called Ed Shearer very recently.

Cheesewogg

George Ezra is yet another public school, canny plagiarist a la Sheeran who has some Uncle Music Exec or is the twink of some Music Exec.

A smug, posh, expensively polished turd.

Now... don't Vic and Bob need to give Vaun his own series.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on December 14, 2018, 03:39:31 PM

I'd tell you to sod off because that comparison is awful.

Seriously though, why is it so unbelievable some people haven't heard of George Ezra? I genuinely didn't know who he was, although Shotgun sounded familiar when he started playing it. It's not meant as offence or anything, just a fact.

Blumf

I didn't know who George Ezra is, but it turns out I've heard that Shotgun song in some commercial setting at some point.

Was wondering why he turned up in BNO, felt awkward, like some cross-promotion thing. But, on the other hand, also reminded me of Morecambe and Wise routines, which would be right up Vic n Bob's street.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on December 14, 2018, 03:52:29 PM
I'd tell you to sod off because that comparison is awful.

Seriously though, why is it so unbelievable some people haven't heard of George Ezra? I genuinely didn't know who he was, although Shotgun sounded familiar when he started playing it. It's not meant as offence or anything, just a fact.

Well, if you read the post that started it, it was just a parenthetical aside that's been picked up on. I'm not offended, I'm just surprised that anybody could be so unaware of a current public figure with that high a profile. It seems like an affectation because he's not cool.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on December 14, 2018, 03:58:47 PM
Well, if you read the post that started it, it was just a parenthetical aside that's been picked up on. I'm not offended, I'm just surprised that anybody could be so unaware of a current public figure with that high a profile. It seems like an affectation because he's not cool.

Fair dos. Nah definitely not trying to be cool, if anything I'm probably just old and out of touch with what's popular!

St_Eddie

It seems like an affectation because he's not cool.

Oh, come on now.  Take my word for it; I had never heard of George Ezra, prior to watching the most recent episode of Big Night Out.  Not everyone has the same interests as yourself and exposes themselves to the same media outlets.

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on December 14, 2018, 04:00:22 PM
Fair dos. Nah definitely not trying to be cool, if anything I'm probably just old and out of touch with what's popular!

Indeed.  Quite frankly, if George Ezra is what's in vogue and popular, then I'm perfectly content with being old and out of touch.

jobotic

selectivememory

I'd never heard of him either, but I did enjoy the constant interruptions of his song at the end there. As mentioned, he seemed a good sport.

Quote from: the science eel on December 14, 2018, 11:14:54 AM
I thought that daftness with the wig - 'the London look' - was fallabout funny.

Yep, fantastic stuff. My favourite parts of the show are just the two of them bantering at their desk.

The pre-recorded skits aren't really landing with me as much as the ones on Shooting Stars did (although I loved Vic getting possessed by Brucie), but the in-studio stuff is all pretty great.

Vaun is hilarious as well. A very good fit for Vic and Bob's style of humour.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'm an old cunt, and I know who George Ezra is. He's that geezer who ripped off the chorus to Sleepers top 1994 hit " What Do I Do Now ? " for one of his most popular hits.

ajsmith2

The bit where he sings 'Time goes by' in 'Shotgun' has the same melody as the line 'Time goes by' in 'Shangri La' by The Kinks. Unconscious influence?

petril

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Mango Chimes on December 14, 2018, 02:44:05 PM
What's the explanation? "He's Japanese"?

From (hazy) memory, his backstory is that he was born in Cleethorpes or somewhere like that, went on holiday to Japan for a couple of weeks and then came back to the UK insisting he was Japanese.

Very similar to Carl Palmer in Bang Bang I think?

Apropos of George Ezra, was anyone else gobsmacked to find out he wasn't black?

ajsmith2

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on December 14, 2018, 06:36:17 PM
Apropos of George Ezra, was anyone else gobsmacked to find out he wasn't black?

Have to admit, I was yes.

olliebean

I'm sure he's a perfectly nice guy, but that song (Shotgun, was it?) really did sound like the sort of thing David Brent would write.

DrGreggles

It seems like an affectation because he's not cool.

How am I supposed to know if someone I've never heard of* is considered cool or not!?
Is 'cool' even still a thing?

Luckily, thanks to this thread, we all now know who George Evra is.
He's the guy that was on BNO (which I'd say is pretty cool!).

*Just out of interest, what TV shows** or radio stations** would he have appeared on? Is he one of the X Factor/BGT/Bob Says Opportunity Knocks lot?

**Quite modern ones, I assume, as he looks about 15.

olliebean

I just looked him up on Wikipedia, and it says "known for his deep, bass-baritone singing voice." Obviously written by someone who doesn't know what a deep, bass-baritone singing voice sounds like, if the song he sang on BNO was typical.

He does seem to have a more decent voice than most of the X Factor types, though.

Cuellar

Quote from: ajsmith2 on December 14, 2018, 04:39:49 PM
The bit where he sings 'Time goes by' in 'Shotgun' has the same melody as the line 'Time goes by' in 'Shangri La' by The Kinks. Unconscious influence?

It also sounds exactly like that Fuck You song by Cee Lo Green. I think. I think that's the one I'm thinking of.

Anyway that song pisses me off, but he seemed like a game enough chap, so fair enough.

Replies From View

Quote from: keir on December 14, 2018, 03:01:48 PM
I hadn't heard of him either

Nor me.  I wondered during the Novelty Island segment whether he was just some random guy from the audience, and then when he was doing the song at the end I figured he was a musician friend of Vic and Bob whom they were helping to promote.

And I was a bit cross if truth be told because I felt that dirge deprived us of a proper Vic and Bob ending.

the science eel

c

Quote from: Wet Blanket on December 14, 2018, 03:19:19 PM
You don't have to be into chart music to know who some of the big pop cultural movers and shakers are. I don't watch This Morning or I'm a Celebrity but I know who Holly Willoughby is. Seems mad to me to not know who George Ezra is. Like someone in 1965 proclaiming to have never heard of Paul McCartney.

Never heard of him. Never heard his song.

Even though I don't know who he is, I know he's not as famous as Paul McCartney was in 1965.

petril

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 14, 2018, 05:52:01 PM
From (hazy) memory, his backstory is that he was born in Cleethorpes or somewhere like that, went on holiday to Japan for a couple of weeks and then came back to the UK insisting he was Japanese.

Very similar to Carl Palmer in Bang Bang I think?

Tony Barron, basically? minus the kinda sailor

Will never tire of the ghost hunters skit, Bob telling inanimate objects to fuck off

and the Derek Acorah impression down to a tee

non capisco

The Attenborough camera guys were absolutely fantastic. Cracked up at Vic's delivery of "a bit of the old "'Ow's your faaaaaaaather'". I believe Bob's character in that is a reference to the brain damaged peripheral figure from the S-Town podcast who survived getting shot in the head and sits around in the background of some sections just going "Yep!" "That's right!" and "Ohhhhhh yeah!". Never even occurred to me that's what might have inspired the Athletico Mince "Ohhhhh yeah!" bit but makes sense as I think him and Andy have mentioned S-Town on it before.

Also loved Vic getting possessed by Bruce Forsyth and corpsing at making a bodge job of one of his quiz show catchphrases. And Bob to George Ezra "Sorry, George, but we didn't know it were gonna go on so long!". These have largely been a complete joy.