Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:56:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vic and Bob-new series of Big Night Out

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, December 15, 2017, 06:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenoise

Quote from: c on December 14, 2018, 10:42:19 PM
Never heard of him. Never heard his song.

Even though I don't know who he is, I know he's not as famous as Paul McCartney was in 1965.

I wonder how many people in the late 60s proudly only consumed media from the 1920s-1940s.

the science eel

Quote from: Cuellar on December 14, 2018, 08:09:24 PM
It also sounds exactly like that Fuck You song by Cee Lo Green. I think. I think that's the one I'm thinking of.

Anyway that song pisses me off, but he seemed like a game enough chap, so fair enough.

His other song, with one with the lyric, 'if it feels like paradise...you know it's love coming your way,' is better.  The other one is just one for people on a long car drive to sing along to.

Replies From View

Quote from: the science eel on December 14, 2018, 10:40:52 PM
It was a Morecambe and Wise ending.

If Morecambe and Wise ended their shows with some random undergraduate from the audience twanging away.

Don't worry, I always love new Vic and Bob and I'm not moaning.  And I'm happy for them to mess with the format of their endings.  It's just that not knowing who the guitar bloke was, I didn't get the intended effect of a musical icon on stage having his performance undermined and being plunged into darkness.  I just took it as an unknown guy, a friend of Vic and Bob whom they thought was talented and they'd do him a bit of promotion as a favour.

gilbertharding

Fuck me - this is as bad as the thread on the Goodnight Sweetheart, where half the criticism was about whether or not Adele was a significant cultural figure whom most reasonable people would be expected to have heard.

I hate George Ezra as much as the next Metro reader, but I (a 49 year old man) have been fully up to speed on The Ez for at least 6 months, and he had the second biggest selling album of 2018 (apparently).

But yes, if you didn't recognise him, you would have been laughing at a slightly different joke to the other half of the audience.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Cheesewogg on December 14, 2018, 03:47:28 PM
George Ezra is yet another public school, canny plagiarist a la Sheeran who has some Uncle Music Exec or is the twink of some Music Exec.

A smug, posh, expensively polished turd.

His parents are teachers and he went to an ordinary state school until he was 18, when he went to a Music College. What a cunt, eh? No idea who his uncle is, or if he sucked any cock to get to where he is now.

I hate it that it seems as if everyone who's succeeded has done so off the back of privilege and nepotism too. And I hate George Ezra. But get it right, eh?

Bad Ambassador

Maybe he succeeded because his music is marketably bland.

I'd heard of him, hadn't heard his music, and was glad that he was being interrupted as Shotgun is crap.

Replies From View

Quote from: gilbertharding on December 17, 2018, 02:37:00 PM
Fuck me - this is as bad as the thread on the Goodnight Sweetheart, where half the criticism was about whether or not Adele was a significant cultural figure whom most reasonable people would be expected to have heard.

I reckon it's good.  Better than George Ezray or whatever he's called.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: thenoise on December 15, 2018, 09:58:07 AM
I wonder how many people in the late 60s proudly only consumed media from the 1920s-1940s.
Nothing to add to that George Ezra debate, but your comment here made me realise that I'm now the same age (37) my granddad was when the Beatles broke in the mainstream.

I doubt he would have been able to pick Paul McCartney out on the street. He just thought they were a bunch of long-haired puffs from Liverpool who made a horrible racket. I gather he preferred bagpipe music, despite not being Scottish.

Blumf

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 17, 2018, 09:06:54 PM
I doubt he would have been able to pick Paul McCartney out on the street. He just thought they were a bunch of long-haired puffs from Liverpool

Did he know who Jimmy Osmond was?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Blumf on December 17, 2018, 11:23:03 PM
Did he know who Jimmy Osmond was?
He'd probably have said "didn't he used to run the garage at Broughton Cross?"

Mind, he was pretty derisive of Americans in general, due to the war and all that.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 17, 2018, 11:33:14 PM
Mind, he was pretty derisive of Americans in general, due to the war and all that.

He kept that portrait of Benedict Arnold up till the day he died.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: petrilTanaka on December 14, 2018, 11:23:31 PM
Tony Barron, basically? minus the kinda sailor

Sorry, yes that's who I meant - I was getting Bang Bang and Catterick mixed up.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 18, 2018, 09:40:03 AM
Sorry, yes that's who I meant - I was getting Bang Bang and Catterick mixed up.
Carl was the bouncer at Tony's club in Bang Bang.

<insert "I know!">

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 18, 2018, 09:50:02 AM
Carl was the bouncer at Tony's club in Bang Bang.

<insert "I know!">

Fucking hell, my memory...

I really must watch Bang Bang again.

the science eel

Worst one of the lot, like they'd put together the cast-offs from the three previous episodes. A shame.

Ferris

Quote from: Wet Blanket on December 14, 2018, 03:28:49 PM
You're both making out that I'm the crazy one for being aware of this massively famous person

I've never heard of George Ezra, and I'm fairly hip. I know what Fortnite and Kanye West are.

Opinions, eh? Thought that was the best since episode one.  Maybe partly because it didn't recycle too much stuff that we'd already seen before like the last couple did and I'd had had a couple of pints before I watched it. Certainly not the weakest in the (sadly short) run for me.  Was just a daft, fun way to pass half an hour.

the

I concur with TSE, this was the weakest one of the run. Lots of bits that didn't really come off or go anywhere. Still better than the pilot though.

Not a total loss though, the opening song was good, and the Freerunners seem to have more staying power than it first appeared (mainly due to Vic's posh one).

I liked the futuristic twist to The Man With The Stick (the old dynamic of him being taken advantage of by Good Laugh Terry and Vic having disappeared), though I couldn't help thinking it would've been a funnier reveal if his silver future helmet had been the original shape.

ajsmith2

Nah, best one by far. The end of the Stotts bit was fantastic.

Quote from: ajsmith2 on December 20, 2018, 07:43:10 PM
Nah, best one by far. The end of the Stotts bit was fantastic.
Same here; the end of the Stotts' magic show was sheer, unrelenting stupidity that probably made me laugh more than I've done for years.

DrGreggles

Best episode for me too.
I love how much they love doing The Stotts.

This whole (ridiculously short) run has been a total joy.

ColinPopshed

I thought all 4 episodes had a similar balance to them.

I was totally destroyed by the Stotts and Bob's dance with Vic's food interruptions.

What a joy all round. Could almost be offered as a prescription.

the science eel

Quote from: ColinPopshed on December 20, 2018, 09:06:11 PM
Bob's dance with Vic's food interruptions.

I'd need to watch that again but there was some comment by Bob (along the lines of 'you have ruined my performance') which had me in hysterics.

I still think to repeat almost identical sketches from previous weeks (The Free Runners) is rubbish.

Nowhere Man

That was definitely the best one so far, that low level kick thing had me in stitches.

poodlefaker

Stotts' magic show was genius; I could've watched another ten minutes of that. Also the chicken under the toilet cubicle door. High art.

the science eel

top ten moments

1. Lister/Beaky the owl
2. ALL the opening songs (esp. 'his pants fall down')
3. 'you think a London guy goes around with ham under his wig?'
4. return of Bill Decker
5. delayed action fire extinguisher wallop
6. fireball warning
7. 'what, otters eat Toffee Crisps?'
8. David Attenborough camera crew
9. 'you can do it if you really want' closing song
10. 'you're undermining me project'

BeardFaceMan

Was Les in this?  Whats he up to these days?