Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:07:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vic and Bob-new series of Big Night Out

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, December 15, 2017, 06:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on December 31, 2018, 02:25:37 PM
Was Les in this?  Whats he up to these days?

No.  Last I heard he was still doing ceramics/pottery, and happy away from showbiz (whilst not totally discounting some form of reunion), but that was a few years ago.

Christ man, that's way old news - where have you been for the last 27 years!?!?!?!?!?!?

poodlefaker

Corned beef bit from the first episode was my favourite. Worthy of Gilbert and George; should be entered for the Turner Prize.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 31, 2018, 02:33:01 PM
No.  Last I heard he was still doing ceramics/pottery, and happy away from showbiz

Just imagining him revolving, like the guests on Shooting Stars, with his bald head's doubling as spinning wheel and replacement for the sculpting potter's hands in forming a bowl from moist clay.

Alberon

He was a bit bitter at being dropped post-BNO, wasn't he?

Not being asked back for the new BNO is probably winding him up even worse. Vaun is probably finding bits of dead animals left on his doorstep.

jobotic

Watched the second episode yesterday as I missed it the first time round. The bit where the crowd boo and that bloke shouts ARSEHOLE when Bob tells his announcement had me right laughing, and feeling bad at th same time.

Replies From View

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on December 31, 2018, 05:34:06 PM
Just imagining him revolving, like the guests on Shooting Stars, with his bald head's doubling as spinning wheel and replacement for the sculpting potter's hands in forming a bowl from moist clay.

I've got his bald revolving head as the clay that somebody is splashing water on and trying to mould.

Wet Blanket

Hope they get more than the stingy four episodes

Shit Good Nose

Wonderful news.

That pose they're doing in the photo reminds me of their street magician characters - would love for them to come back.

SteveDave

The world (me and my friend Dan) is crying out for another Catterick.

mojo filters

Personally I'd prefer to see them try something new and experimental, as opposed to just breathing new life into what is now a tried and tested, tired and comfortable format.

I got into Reeves and Mortimer because they were different, if not unique back in the day. I want to see that edginess again.

I appreciate House of Fools was far from perfect, but I'd much prefer to see Vic and Bob once again attempt to create something new that pushes boundaries.

Even if such experimentation falls completely flat, it's better than looking like a legacy act who's lost their edge and are reduced to catering to replaying the fan favourite greatest hits collection with a slight modern twist.

Just like as much as I love Stewart Lee, especially how he manged to create a novel way of putting straight stand up on TV - I think he was right to go out on top, leaving Comedy Vehicle to stand proud in the annals of television history.

It would be different with an artist of any type, if they were struggling or simply had ploughed one continuously ever evolving furrow throughout their career, hence had no option other than to keep doing "their thing" to pay the bills.

I have a lot of respects for artists such as the musician Mark Kozelek, who in developing and evolving the way he makes music, simply doesn't care about pissing off older/existing fans at the expense of his often-flawed new ideas. However I also appreciate you normally have to have also achieved some degree of later life security, to take such bold chances!

the

Quote from: mojo filters on May 23, 2019, 01:30:49 PMPersonally I'd prefer to see them try something new and experimental, as opposed to just breathing new life into what is now a tried and tested, tired and comfortable format.

I think this is a little unfair in respect to the new Big Night Outs. Apart from the name and some appearances of Novelty Island, it bears no relation to the contents of the original Big Night Out at all.

Most of the sketches and characters in it were new, they can effectively do any sketch or stage routine they want to in this format. They have essentially the same freedom afforded them in Smell Of and Bang Bang.

(Except on a smaller budget.)

Times have changed, since the original. They couldn't get away with a character like Les, now.

Alberon

Judge Nutmeg and the Free Runners.

We're spoilt we are.

the science eel

Quote from: the on May 23, 2019, 01:39:38 PM
I think this is a little unfair in respect to the new Big Night Outs. Apart from the name and some appearances of Novelty Island, it bears no relation to the contents of the original Big Night Out at all.

Most of the sketches and characters in it were new, they can effectively do any sketch or stage routine they want to in this format. They have essentially the same freedom afforded them in Smell Of and Bang Bang.

(Except on a smaller budget.)

Yeah, it barely is a format. They just mess about.

I kind of miss House of Fools, mind. I watched one the other night and thought it was top-notch. I wish they'd have made a third series.

DrGreggles

Quote from: the science eel on May 23, 2019, 11:47:38 PM
I kind of miss House of Fools, mind.

I loved it.
It didn't all hit, but I don't recall the last time a sitcom made me laugh as hard.

Alberon

I could never get into that show. I must give it another shot.

Anyone know how I can watch House of Fools? Or Bob's fishing show. I'm in Australia and there seems to be no way to watch either.

the science eel

Quote from: Mantis Toboggan on May 24, 2019, 06:31:55 AM
Anyone know how I can watch House of Fools? Or Bob's fishing show. I'm in Australia and there seems to be no way to watch either.

dailymotion is good - not sure if this is blocked where you are, but here's the first episode of HoF

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6sg7id

the

Quote from: the science eel on May 24, 2019, 08:34:02 AMdailymotion is good - not sure if this is blocked where you are, but here's the first episode of HoF

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6sg7id

Be aware that they've timestretched that (presumably to avoid copyright bot detection), so it runs a bit slower than it should be. Not sure if it's gonna do wonders for the comic timing.

You can watch it on 1.25x speed which corrects it (though there's also a nasty spotlight effect which dims the edges of the screen).

Just found this sketch on YouTube, from Fry and Laurie Host a Christmas Night with the Stars, 1994.  Any excuse to post it again.  I remember Radio Times' Letters were awash with complaints, the next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S7c6YOIVVI&t=2s

magval

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 31, 2019, 08:22:15 PM
Just found this sketch on YouTube, from Fry and Laurie Host a Christmas Night with the Stars, 1994.  Any excuse to post it again.  I remember Radio Times' Letters were awash with complaints, the next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S7c6YOIVVI&t=2s

le pipe!

SpiderChrist

Just had an email - got two tickets for one of the recordings and I'm so happy I think I might just cry like a soft cunt.

What's the deal with actually getting in, though? How early do you have to get there to guarantee that?

Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod

DrGreggles

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 05, 2019, 01:27:30 PM
Just had an email - got two tickets for one of the recordings

#metoo

I've gone all giddy!

SteveDave

I too have tickets for the 2nd of July. I'm hoping to get there an hour before the doors open. Fingers crossed. If I don't get in, I'll burn it down!

poo

Went last year - brilliant obviously. Do get there early though. We arrived 'on time' but the queue was already big and we were told we were on the reserve list. Very relieved when we eventually got in!

SpiderChrist

In London. Daughter has forgotten her photo ID. BBC helpline very, er, helpful, but can't reassure that our tickets will be validated. Beyond gutted.