Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:45:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vic and Bob-new series of Big Night Out

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, December 15, 2017, 06:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Now that's more like it. The Christmas special had me worried but this was more like the Vic and Bob of old.

derek stitt

I do so enjoy this type of utter rubbish.

Nowhere Man

Well done Bob for doing the old skanking routine, bloody hell, that's some commitment.

Gregory Torso

I was a bit worried about Bob's heart during that bit

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Gregory Torso on November 28, 2018, 10:40:06 PM
I was a bit worried about Bob's heart during that bit

Same, but it's all pre-recorded, and i'd hope that the doctors aren't too far away from Bob just in case anything were to happen.

I'm not sure I could take losing Bob anytime soon, losing Rik a few years ago was tough enough.

PaulTMA

Bit of a slow start I thought, but picked right up thank fuck.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Phil_A on November 28, 2018, 10:33:24 PM
I thought that was absolutely delightful. No complaints whatsoever.

Same. Sometimes pure silliness is just what's needed.

chrispmartha

My only issue is... should Bill Decker have been resurrected, that stars for your eyes sketch is quite possibly the funniest thing ever made I think I'd have preferred it to be left there, otherwise, its Vic & Bob messing around which is just perfect.

DrGreggles

Quote from: chrispmartha on November 28, 2018, 11:51:47 PM
My only issue is... should Bill Decker have been resurrected

Based on how much I laughed, yes.

It was weak in places but I still laughed a lot. As a native Teessider I loved the local references. Bob is pretty much a god as far as I'm concerned. It pissed all over that abomination that was 'House of Fools' and proved that they still have it when they can be arsed. Both knocking on for sixty now though and each suffering from health problems too. Was that their last hurrah?

the science eel

Quote from: undergroundcow75 on November 29, 2018, 05:09:32 AM
Both knocking on for sixty now though and each suffering from health problems too.

What's up wi Vic?

Divorce, being old. having taken an awful lot lot of that sniffing stuff over the years and drinking rather a lot too. I'm ten years younger than him but have led a similar lifestyle without ever receiving any of the plaudits. I expect to be dead rather soon but I fear Vic may well beat me to it. I really hope that I'm wrong about that though. This is entirely based on people I know, local gossip and friend's of friends testimony so it should probably be treated with the upmost caution.

the science eel

I think their laughing lots will add DECADES to their lives

c

Quote from: Replies From View on November 28, 2018, 08:29:13 PM
Vaguely similar?  They are identical in concept (lists of shit stuff followed by GET IN GRAVE or the far worse GET IN THE SEA), and the latter followed too soon after Boston Crab's version for it to be a coincidence.

it's just this one thing which happens to be identical to Boston Crab's own version with a word changed into two words -

Seems damning to me. Always seemed odd that such a talent void could come up with this one clever, neat and successful idea and nothing else of any merit ever. And as you say it's not just the words, it's the entire idea.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=40219.0

buzby

Loved the Secret Soil/Throwing Mud ads, the latter of which saw a welcome callback to Lovejoy's shitty-shotty stick

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: buzby on November 29, 2018, 08:04:30 AM
Loved the Secret Soil/Throwing Mud ads, the latter of which saw a welcome callback to Lovejoy's shitty-shotty stick

I loved the genuine relish Vic's character had for the mud based products.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 29, 2018, 12:04:32 AM

That had me floored, as did the top hat falling on 'Run DMC'. I was a little concerned at first when they ran through a couple of greatest hits, but as soon as Vic started sniffing over that grape or whatever it was in Bob's hand I knew they'd brought the good stuff.

Neither of them are near death, dickheads. Long may they peddle their nonsense. And Athletico Mince is fantastic.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 29, 2018, 08:25:16 AM

Neither of them are near death, dickheads.

No need to take that tone. Vic seems in rude health, but come on, Bob's in a birrova state, healthwise, and looks fairly decrepit nowadays. But, yes, long may they continue.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 29, 2018, 08:25:16 AM
That had me floored, as did the top hat falling on 'Run DMC'. I was a little concerned at first when they ran through a couple of greatest hits, but as soon as Vic started sniffing over that grape or whatever it was in Bob's hand I knew they'd brought the good stuff.

Neither of them are near death, dickheads. Long may they peddle their nonsense. And Athletico Mince is fantastic.

Aye. Just in case there's still anyone who's a fan of Bob but is avoiding Athletico Mince because of a lack of interest in football, I urge you to check it out. It's only a football podcast in the same way Shooting Stars is a quiz, ie. a loose framework on which to hang nonsense.

the science eel

I really do with these Mince fans would stop blathering on about it. Keep it to yourselves. It's OK but it's just half of a great team, he isn't doing much really AND you don't get to see him. A LOT of what makes V and B funny is the visual stuff.

Artie Fufkin

Also, when Bob kept licking himself like a cat.
I love Bob.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on November 29, 2018, 08:15:58 AM
I loved the genuine relish Vic's character had for the mud based products.

Yes, i thought at first they'd left some corpsing in from a pre-recorded item but then realised they are just two men who happen to be ludicrously excited by dirt

Whole ep was fabulous, so much stronger than the previous one-off. Hope the rest of the series can hit similar heights

"Tom Cruise"/"Chris Evans" made me laugh on Twitter too:

@VaunEarl
Son is sat with me watching #vicandbob, just told he doesn't know if he feels very proud or horrified.

@VaunEarl
Vic and Bob did ten minutes of this cornbeef. We all felt sick. They didn't. Talk about working for your art. #vicandbob

@VaunEarl
Five years at RADA, four years with Philippe Gaulier, three years studying with Lee Strasberg. Ten years as a Jesuit Monk in Nepal. Prepares you well.

poodlefaker

I do kind of miss "Vic Reeves" - he used to be a definite character played by Jim ("Britain's top light entertainer"). Now it feels as if he's just being himself - he and Bob are much more equal

bobloblaw

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 29, 2018, 10:16:48 AM
I do kind of miss "Vic Reeves" - he used to be a definite character played by Jim ("Britain's top light entertainer"). Now it feels as if he's just being himself - he and Bob are much more equal

it's been that way since Smell Of, to be fair

gmoney

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 29, 2018, 12:04:32 AM

God, I haven't seen the episode yet, but this got me going. Can't wait to watch this tonight!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: undergroundcow75 on November 29, 2018, 06:13:34 AM
Divorce, being old. having taken an awful lot lot of that sniffing stuff over the years and drinking rather a lot too. I'm ten years younger than him but have led a similar lifestyle without ever receiving any of the plaudits. I expect to be dead rather soon but I fear Vic may well beat me to it. I really hope that I'm wrong about that though. This is entirely based on people I know, local gossip and friend's of friends testimony so it should probably be treated with the upmost caution.

I think you should take all that with quite a lot of salt - Vic's been very happily married to Nancy Sorrell for 15 years, I don't think he's ever had a booze problem at least in terms of alcoholism, and the cocaine stuff...well, if you read the full stories as told by Bob where it's mentioned, you soon realise they sound an awful lot like his comical flights of fancy - £700 a week and brought in in wheelbarrows at the same time as an Indian takeaway and they took it whilst they shot guns.  Compare that with a more "straight" interview where he said they tried it once but were too scared and too Northern, so they never went back to it.  Which one sounds more realistic?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 29, 2018, 10:16:48 AM

I think I've said before, but the closest comparison I can come up with is the change between original Daffy Duck and Chuck Jones interpretation of Daffy Duck.

Up until Smell Of... Reeves was a hyperkinetic character who wore his heart on his sleeve, flipping from one extreme emotion to another. Certainly by Bang! Bang!, the character was much slower and more dry, likely as a product of age.