Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:10:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vic and Bob-new series of Big Night Out

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, December 15, 2017, 06:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 29, 2018, 10:54:16 AM
the cocaine stuff...well, if you read the full stories as told by Bob where it's mentioned, you soon realise they sound an awful lot like his comical flights of fancy - £700 a week and brought in in wheelbarrows at the same time as an Indian takeaway and they took it whilst they shot guns.  Compare that with a more "straight" interview where he said they tried it once but were too scared and too Northern, so they never went back to it.  Which one sounds more realistic?

The truth is probably somewhere inbetween. I remember an interview in the short lived Jack magazine where they both matter-of-factly stated they loved a bit of sniff,  with no mitigating talk of wheelbarrows or northerness. They probably indulged to much the same extent as every other media type. Weren't either coke-fiends or abstainers.

If anything, I'd be most concerned about Vic's enormous belly. He'll soon be running Cleese close in comedian belly top trumps

the science eel

Really liked that they did the pre-credits announcement (over the BBC Four ident)

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 29, 2018, 11:08:09 AM
The truth is probably somewhere inbetween. I remember an interview in the short lived Jack magazine where they both matter-of-factly stated they loved a bit of sniff,  with no mitigating talk of wheelbarrows or northerness. They probably indulged to much the same extent as every other media type. Weren't either coke-fiends or abstainers.

If anything, I'd be most concerned about Vic's enormous belly. He'll soon be running Cleese close in comedian belly top trumps

An aquaintance of mine once delivered a significant quantity of Olly Beak to the Cambridge Corn Exchange while the live Shooting Stars show was on.

bobloblaw

Quote from: SpiderChrist on November 29, 2018, 11:50:00 AM
An aquaintance of mine once delivered a significant quantity of Olly Beak to the Cambridge Corn Exchange while the live Shooting Stars show was on.

Lamarr getting his interval order in early?

bobloblaw

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 29, 2018, 11:08:09 AM

didn't Bob reference drugs in passing in Gone Fishing too? Unspecified which ones, though

Mango Chimes

What the fuck is up with the laughter track? (I don't need a lecture on it not being canned laughter, thanks, I'm not eight.) It's really offputtingly LOUD and sounds like it's not coming from the same room. It sounds like a CBBC show, and my ever increasing hatred for the audience is blocking out the enjoyment of whatever Vic and Bob are doing (and I loved the opening, when the music was drowning out the laughter).

TheMonk

Quote from: bobloblaw on November 29, 2018, 01:45:19 PM
didn't Bob reference drugs in passing in Gone Fishing too? Unspecified which ones, though
And those jowels. A run on a treadmill wouldn't go astray.
Most enjoyable show.

Crabwalk

I thought the show was a joy throughout. Tears of laughter several times and a sore jaw from grinning by the end of it.

That Novelty Island might've been the best they've ever done, due to the quality of the items. It does feel to me like Bob's struggling a bit to get back in the character of Lister though (and Vic's not really Vic anymore, as previously noted, so their dynamic is a bit skewed now anyway).

I cant wait for the inevitable Stotts appearance.

Crabwalk

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 29, 2018, 12:04:32 AM

Just going to repost this here as it cracks me up just thinking about it. I didn't even notice the legs at the time.

jobotic

the

Enjoyed this, much better than the one-off/pilot edition. (That said, I still don't really understand why it has to have the association with Big Night Out - aside from an appearance of Novelty Island and Lister it has no alignment with it at all.)

Felt more confidently funny and filled with more purposeful material. A few flat bits, but great to once again see Vic & Bob being stupid and clever and difficult and avant garde and inventive and making each other laugh.

Though did perceive a little bit of laziness with the half-puppet guys (Sandwich Club?), in that they seemed to be a merge of Pat & Dave (voices), Donald & Davey (coiffure) and Otis & Marvin (semi-marionette), but it was only a brief 'WTF' segment anyway.

Quote from: Mango Chimes on November 30, 2018, 01:02:07 AMWhat the fuck is up with the laughter track? (I don't need a lecture on it not being canned laughter, thanks, I'm not eight.) It's really offputtingly LOUD and sounds like it's not coming from the same room. It sounds like a CBBC show, and my ever increasing hatred for the audience is blocking out the enjoyment of whatever Vic and Bob are doing (and I loved the opening, when the music was drowning out the laughter).

What you've got there is a sound mixing / post production complaint, don't take it out on the audience. That said, having the audience clapping along (eurgh) over the end song was a mistake as they just ended up ignoring all the jokey lyrics.

Anyone notice the snippet of Aphex Twin over the animation (fz pseudotimestretch+e+3)? As explained in the Radio 4's The Cult Of Aphex Twin, Jim is a longtime fan.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: the on November 30, 2018, 11:55:16 AMWhat you've got there is a sound mixing / post production complaint, don't take it out on the audience.

Oh no, is it? Unfortunately I've already murdered everybody involved! Especially the cunt who went "weyyyyy" when the frying pan was brought out.

DrGreggles

I had no sound problems. Maybe your audio settings were set to 'CuntBoost+'?

Mango Chimes

I knew I shouldn't have bought those speakers.

I just had a quick check on YouTube and volume-wise it seems similar even on The Smell Of, but there's something about it that's less annoying there. I dunno.

Fuck, though, Smell was directed wonderfully – the white void works so well, and there's some really nice perspective stuff with a really big depth of field.

Twed

Quote from: Mango Chimes on November 30, 2018, 03:55:51 PM
I knew I shouldn't have bought those speakers.
I knew I shouldn't have bought those speakers
I really want      to   see    those fingers

ColinPopshed

So much better than I could have hoped for, already watched it 3 times. You were never far from something joyous.

The set bugged me though. Felt a bit like they were wedged in some corner while other things were being made, although with quite a small audience it helped that they were close. Looked great at desk though.

It will be interesting to see if they front-loaded the first episode, but there's a confidence about it so hopefully not.

We really need stuff like this on tv. Such magical, alchemical nonsense in a sea of earnest dramas, overachieving Apollo comedians and pathos ridden reality shite.

(Yes I'm old and a mental fan)

mojo filters

I watched it and immediately watched an old (2015 I think) Bob Mortimer RHLSTP afterwards. Surprisingly I found Herring made a pertinent and interesting observation about Reeves & Mortimer's comedy, which reflected my experience watching this episode.

Herring suggested that the sheer originality and absurdity of their comedy (maybe not quite expressing the sentiment so neatly) made it easy for the viewer to react differently, depending on mood, state of mind and so forth.

I watched this in a not especially good mood, expecting to be cheered up. Unfortunately I wasn't particularly impressed, though I could see R&M appeared to be on reasonably good form - if a little older and slower these days.

What struck me about Herring's notion, is that I quite enjoyed the Christmas special - though it really didn't seem like vintage quality R&M for the most part, and was rather patchy.

Was I just in a better frame of mind when I watched that, or am I just overthinking something that really doesn't benefit from such?

the science eel

Quote from: ColinPopshed on December 01, 2018, 01:54:20 AM
It will be interesting to see if they front-loaded the first episode, but there's a confidence about it so hopefully not.

I hope not too, but I'm a bit worried that the joys of that first episode won't be as high because R&M tend to repeat/re-use material/characters/lines. They did it a shitload on Shooting Stars - maybe they've had more inspiration for these shows.

ajsmith2

Quote from: undergroundcow75 on November 29, 2018, 05:09:32 AM
It pissed all over that abomination that was 'House of Fools' and proved that they still have it when they can be arsed.

I don't agree as I loved House of Fools, but as you luxuriate the superiority of the new show to HoF, know this: the whole David Walliams impression bit from this new episode was recycled wholesale from a House of Fools :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z_94nnkAz8

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: the science eel on December 01, 2018, 08:26:05 AM
I hope not too, but I'm a bit worried that the joys of that first episode won't be as high because R&M tend to repeat/re-use material/characters/lines. They did it a shitload on Shooting Stars - maybe they've had more inspiration for these shows.

They did it in this episode!

Skanking - Shooting Stars
The expression "shit farm" - cropped up in several places including Shooting Stars
Shittyshotty - Smell Of...
Vic mumbling swearing - Bang! Bang!
David Walliams impression - House of Fools
Bill Decker - Smell Of...
Frying pan fight - Smell Of... onwards

mrClaypole

Haven't Vic and Bob always referenced and called back to themselves? . Didn't they do novelty island on the Puce tour? When they were into the Smell of phase.
I really enjoyed the new BNO,  ok it's not as fresh and exciting as the first time around, but it's still Vic and Bob dicking around for 30 mins,  it's still great to see them loving acting stupid together.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: mrClaypole on December 01, 2018, 08:57:52 AM
Haven't Vic and Bob always referenced and called back to themselves? . Didn't they do novelty island on the Puce tour? When they were into the Smell of phase.
I really enjoyed the new BNO,  ok it's not as fresh and exciting as the first time around, but it's still Vic and Bob dicking around for 30 mins,  it's still great to see them loving acting stupid together.

Absolutely, I was just illustrating that the first episode wasn't a bastion of originality that future episodes will simply repeat, but rather it's a continuation of Vic & Bob dicking about with characters, ideas and expressions that amuse them.

mrClaypole

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on December 01, 2018, 09:01:33 AM
Absolutely, I was just illustrating that the first episode wasn't a bastion of originality that future episodes will simply repeat, but rather it's a continuation of Vic & Bob dicking about with characters, ideas and expressions that amuse them.

I may be dreaming this but I'm sure I read an interview with Vic where he says that whatever vehicle they are using to hang the madness off,  it's really only a continuation of their bantering,  so a throwback is to be expected and deliberate. Almost like being a catchphrase but without being so obvious.
But then again,  I have drunk alot over the years,  so I might be just wrong. But it think I'm right.

dr beat

They had me straight off with the version of the 'Bastard' song from Athletico Mince, which is one of my favourite things. And yes that might be one of the best Novelty Islands ever.

Also I liked Vic's shoes.

buzby

Quote from: the on November 30, 2018, 11:55:16 AM
Though did perceive a little bit of laziness with the half-puppet guys (Sandwich Club?), in that they seemed to be a merge of Pat & Dave (voices), Donald & Davey (coiffure) and Otis & Marvin (semi-marionette), but it was only a brief 'WTF' segment anyway.
Bob also used Pat Wright's glasses (Vic used Tom Fun's glasses - they might have lost Dave's). I thought their bulbous heads were more of a callback to Loyd Grossman in the Masterchef sketch.

In other character eyewear related news, Bob was wearing a standard pair of shielded safety frames instead of Bill Decker's bottle-bottom lensed glasses.

Pranet

Quote from: mojo filters on December 01, 2018, 07:59:44 AM
I watched it and immediately watched an old (2015 I think) Bob Mortimer RHLSTP afterwards. Surprisingly I found Herring made a pertinent and interesting observation about Reeves & Mortimer's comedy, which reflected my experience watching this episode.

Herring suggested that the sheer originality and absurdity of their comedy (maybe not quite expressing the sentiment so neatly) made it easy for the viewer to react differently, depending on mood, state of mind and so forth.

I watched this in a not especially good mood, expecting to be cheered up. Unfortunately I wasn't particularly impressed, though I could see R&M appeared to be on reasonably good form - if a little older and slower these days.

What struck me about Herring's notion, is that I quite enjoyed the Christmas special - though it really didn't seem like vintage quality R&M for the most part, and was rather patchy.

Was I just in a better frame of mind when I watched that, or am I just overthinking something that really doesn't benefit from such?

I agree with you and Richard Herring. I remember that RHLSTP and I thought at the time he summed up quite well what I think about R&M- when I am in the mood for them they are the best thing ever, and when I am not it is just a bit annoying.

mojo filters

Quote from: Pranet on December 01, 2018, 12:42:16 PM
I agree with you and Richard Herring. I remember that RHLSTP and I thought at the time he summed up quite well what I think about R&M- when I am in the mood for them they are the best thing ever, and when I am not it is just a bit annoying.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Agreeing with Herring is not an especially common thing for me, but he did get this one right!

I remember the first time I watched Big Night Out, as friends were making a lot of fuss about it, quoting lines etc. I was slightly perplexed, not really getting why folks thought this was so good. Then I watched it again without thinking about it, and I found the funny.

However I'm not entirely sure why Vic & Bob are attempting to recreate the past all of a sudden. I thought Shooting Stars was a brilliant move, and whilst far from perfect - I admired their ambition in attempting House of Fools.

I hope I enjoy the next R&M show more, but can't help wondering why they haven't attempted something new and a bit different?

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: mojo filters on December 01, 2018, 01:05:57 PM
I hope I enjoy the next R&M show more, but can't help wondering why they haven't attempted something new and a bit different?

I thought House of Fools was more miss than hit and the various guest stars & plot contrivances detracted from the enjoyment of just watching Vic & Bob being daft together. I'm much happier to see them going back to their old free-form, variety/sketch style and doing what comes most naturally to them than trying to shoehorn their humour into other formats. Having said that, they're also currently making their first full-length film which I'm really looking forward to.

the science eel

Yeah. it really is mostly about enjoying the two lovely old fellas just messing about together.

Is there ANYONE else on telly today doing anything even remotely similar (daft wigs/false heads/catchphrases/props)? As much as I love them I think they have a huge advantage in that they have that whole section of the comedy stage just for themselves.

Spiteface

Quote from: the science eel on December 01, 2018, 05:05:04 PM
Yeah. it really is mostly about enjoying the two lovely old fellas just messing about together.

Is there ANYONE else on telly today doing anything even remotely similar (daft wigs/false heads/catchphrases/props)?

Not really. And if there was, everyone would just see it as them trying to "Do" Reeves & Mortimer.

Loved the new Big Night Out. I don't think there's any comedy "act" - be it a duo, group or solo comedian that is quite as self-indulgent as Vic & Bob, yet remains entertaining to me. They strike me as people who just do whatever they want that they think is funny and if people will let them, they stick it on telly for the people who like what they like. I'm sure that's what most comedians would say, but I actually like to believe that's how Vic & Bob "work"