Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:24:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Backlog

Started by Shay Chaise, December 18, 2017, 02:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

I spend most of my gaming time downloading and redownloading games I already own so my various dashboards are perfectly balanced, with no subpar titles (or icons) sullying what will be the perfect gaming menu on the hypothetical occasion I will want to sit down and just play games rather than manage my library. I have often bought a game because I have imagined that it would be the ideal replacement for something else on my dashboard. I've just bought Rive on the Switch, in fact, to replace Deemo, because it has a less 'mobile game' icon.

On PS4, I have a maximum of twelve games which I will sometimes reduce to a solid core of nine titles I would 'definitely want to play at any time'. Either way, multiples of three there, seems to suit the dash, with twelve generally being the optimum. Four chunks of three, newer stuff to the left, all-timers on the replay to the right.

On the One X, I am a little more frivolous with my quality and quantity because it's new but I've recently culled the majority and trimmed it to a rock solid 18 and been happy with that. Almost everything there I would like to play. Only AC:O and Dishonored 2 are really irking me because they're both obviously boring pretty games which 'show off' my new console but to whom? They'll be deleted soon, I know it, just as quickly as I can replace them with quality. Fifty quid down the bog in about a week. Nice icons, though, and they feel quite right on the dash, just very hollow when I consider playing them. Tomb Raider is similar, as is Quantum Break. Batman, all that shit.

The Switch is my biggest challenge to manage. I have spent hours deleting and redownloading games. I have about ninety or so, probably twenty of which are dross, and another thirty/forty which are never to be completed. Either arcade type games, too simplistic to put more than an hour into, or just things which sully the dashboard or my perception. Stuff like Disgaea 5. I've tried it, I'm never going to put the time in to appreciate it. Mario & Rabbids. It's a twenty quid game for me, max. One world was enough. I get it. Move on. Monster Hunter XX in Japanese, one of my most redownloaded games. "It's Monster Hunter!" I tell myself. "In Japanese." I realise, every time. I trimmed my dashboard down from 72 (12x6 is quite pleasing, balanced) to a solid 18 of big titles and indies with depth. I'll never play Thimbleweed Park or Oxenfree unless I am hospitalised or something. Isaac, Cave Story and Gungeon, and the rest are all ARMS, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Odyssey and the like. Top tier shit.

I've got three really nice dashboards now, it's taken me a long time and a couple of grand but I've never felt happier.