Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,351
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:49:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

General discussions

Started by Adrian Brezhnev, January 13, 2005, 09:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Brezhnev

Has anybody actually ever taken part in a real life General Discussion or mass debating session that went terribly wrong? I have.

Sadly though, most general discussions tend to be mind nummingly tedious- and look like this:

Santa's Boyfriend

The woman at the far end:

"It was THIS BIG, I'm telling you..."

RFT

Is that Gerry Adams at the far end?

Regular John

Yehahamamhgshguhhssuuh... CAIRO auhauhhcajccnmnnahahsj... SNAKE! SNAKE!

Captain Crunch

Why is there a portrait of Christopher Lee hanging up?  Is this his fan club AGM or something?

wilystoat

I think it's Bertie Russell. Have you noticed that there are fourteen people in the room, and nineteen bottles of water? Crikey!!!!

imitationleather

What about the person holding the camera?

Ciarán2

I wanted to join the Philosophical Society at college, but was told it had turned into something called PhilSoc and was now a debating thing, with typical subjects being Posh and Becks or whether cats are better than dogs. so the actual philosophy society was called the Metaphysical Society. It looked just like the photo above and was full of fellas with bad side partings and dickie bows trying to trump each other with the amount of books they had read. It was absolutely bloody awful and had that typical thing about it you get of "oh we're all gonna get right pissed up on wine here!"

Pinball

Caption: The Pessimist Society discuss their plans for global domination.

skibz

Quote from: "Pinball"Caption: The Pessimist Society discuss their plans for global domination.

...before writing the plan off as impossible.

Bogey

I went to a meeting of the Birkbeck Philosophy Club*, in a room almost identical to that one, and I remember joking beforehand about forgetting my cravat**. There were at least three of them there, plus waistcoats and dickie-bows. It was truly awful, and all about trying to out-sesquipedaliise each other like some tossers would.

*"Society"
**I do own a cravat, though, you understand, I just choose not to abuse it.

Adrian Brezhnev

Quote from: "Ciarán"I wanted to join the Philosophical Society at college, but was told it had turned into something called PhilSoc
I don't suppose you were at Exeter University were you? It sounds like the kind of thing that went on there- but perhaps all universities and colleges give most of their soceities names like Philsoc, Fizzsoc, Chemsoc, or SockSoc

RFT

Not to forget the choice of metallers at every bloody university in the country- Rocksoc. who nearly always had all the same members as the Science Fiction Society and the live-action roleplaying society.

Ciarán2

Quote from: "Adrian Brezhnev"
Quote from: "Ciarán"I wanted to join the Philosophical Society at college, but was told it had turned into something called PhilSoc
I don't suppose you were at Exeter University were you? It sounds like the kind of thing that went on there- but perhaps all universities and colleges give most of their soceities names like Philsoc, Fizzsoc, Chemsoc, or SockSoc

Nah, this was in Trinity College, Dublin. A place where you will also find a "Rock Nostalgia Society".

"Remember rock, eh? Ah those where the days..."

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "Ciarán"Nah, this was in Trinity College, Dublin. A place where you will also find a "Rock Nostalgia Society".
... so, Geologists then.

Bogey

Adrian Brezhnev

Well, it's a far better name that Geolosoc