Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:41:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A new Fools and Horses thread.

Started by Glebe, December 19, 2017, 06:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Nobody started a thread for GOLD's recently-aired and rather significant The Story of Only Fools and Horses series (which is a pretty stupid title, given that there's already a 2002 doc going by the same name, but anyhoo...), and we could do with a nice fresh thread for OFAH-based chat anyway, so... some interesting stuff in the show, and nice to finally see some proper outtakes. Also, good to see Jason involved, along with the rest of the (surviving!) cast and crew - except Paul Barber, puzzlingly.

Oh yeah, and it's been knocking around on YouTube for awhile, but this is a nice little rarity:

Only Fools and Horses Rare Clip Harty Christmas Special.

Anyway, let the latest OFAH discussion commence!

St_Eddie

Nicholas Lyndhurst is champ, or should I say, chump?  Hmm, a chimp perhaps?  No, no.  He's assuredly a thoroughbred champ.  Pedigree Champ, is what he is.  A champ and make no mistake.  The fellow's a champ.

magval

Was the documentary (series?) any good then?

I've only ever seen the first three series of OFAH and the odd episode from afterwards and could do with a good push into comitting to a total watch of it

Utter Shit

I've been watching it again recently. It's so brilliant. Even the worst episodes aren't as bad as I used to think - A Royal Flush is good until the last ten minutes, the first half of Miami Twice is great and of the last three episodes, only the first one is outright bad IMO.

The documentary series was good, but could very easily have been scaled back to a couple of hours at most - there was a ridiculous amount of repeated footage, and even casual fans will probably have heard a lot of the stories before (Jim Broadbent was the first choice to play Del, if the chandelier scene went wrong the show would have been cancelled, David Jason was going to leave after the end of the fifth series). But as mentioned above the outtakes were good and new to me, and it was nice to see some relevant people talking about the show other than Boycie and Marlene, who have made a creditable but thoroughly irritating career out of talking about the show at every possible opportunity.

If anyone is really desperate for new Fools and Horses detail, David Jason's latest autobiography offers more new info than the documentary.

St_Eddie

I can count on three fingers, the number of Only Fools and Horses episodes which I have watched.  That is my shameful confession for the day.

Utter Shit

Me and a mate compiled separate lists of all the Only Fools and Horses episodes in order of how much we like them, then compared them. Took us forever. It's possible I love the show too much.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 19, 2017, 09:53:53 AM
Me and a mate compiled separate lists of all the Only Fools and Horses episodes in order of how much we like them, then compared them. Took us forever. It's possible I love the show too much.

It's also possible that you have too much time on your hands but then again, so do I.

Utter Shit

Oh it's absolutely beyond doubt that I have too much time on my hands.

This is my list...

1   Mother Nature's Son
2   Heroes And Villains
3   Dates
4   Fatal Extraction
5   Time On Our Hands
6   The Jolly Boy's Outing
7   Healthy Competition
8   Chain Gang
9   Danger UXD
10   May The Force Be With You
11   Class Of '62
12   Sickness And Wealth
13   Modern Men
14   A Losing Streak
15   He Ain't Heavy, He's My Uncle
16   Yuppy Love
17   Sleeping Dogs Lie
18   Hole In One
19   The Longest Night
20   As One Door Closes
21   Who's A Pretty Boy
22   The Frog's Legacy
23   Stage Fright
24   The Unlucky Winner Is...
25   Little Problems
26   Three Men, A Woman And A Baby
27   The Sky's The Limit
28   It's Only Rock And Roll
29   Video Nasty
30   The Chance Of A Lunchtime
31   Friday The 14th
32   Rodney Come Home
33   Ashes To Ashes
34   Cash And Curry
35   The Miracle Of Peckham
36   Strangers On The Shore
37   Happy Returns
38   Homesick
39   Who Wants To Be A Millionaire
40   The Yellow Peril
41   The Second Time Around
42   Strained Relations
43   The Long Legs Of The Law
44   A Touch Of Glass
45   Big Brother
46   Watching The Girls Go By
47   A Slow Bus To Chingford
48   Yesterday Never Comes
49   No Greater Love
50   From Prussia With Love
51   Tea For Three
52   The Russians Are Coming
53   Wanted
54   Go West Young Man
55   It Never Rains
56   To Hull And Back
57   Miami Twice 1
58   Thicker Than Water
59   Sleepless In Peckham
60   Diamonds Are For Heather
61   Christmas Crackers
62   If They Could See Us Now
63   Miami Twice 2
64   A Royal Flush

Discuss!

Norton Canes

St_Eddie

Uncle TechTip

The documentary revealed nothing we didn't know already and I'm afraid that David Jason just makes me uncomfortable these days. They made him reenact a couple of scenes which were horrific. I bailed during episode 2; I understand there were at least four. Interminable.

itsfredtitmus

Your list is like the complete opposite of mine, Utter Shit

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 19, 2017, 09:57:23 AM
It's also possible that you have too much time on your hands but then again, so do I.
At number 5 that tolled in

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 19, 2017, 09:45:31 AM
I've been watching it again recently. It's so brilliant. Even the worst episodes aren't as bad as I used to think - A Royal Flush is good until the last ten minutes, the first half of Miami Twice is great and of the last three episodes, only the first one is outright bad IMO.
Rodney's scene outside the lift absolutely stunned me on a recent watch. Like something from a lost Play for Today.

Shite episode, yah, and even shiter ending, but that scene is so good.

purlieu

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 19, 2017, 09:57:23 AM
Watch at least the first five series of OFAH then.
As I've mentioned in the past, after series five it's good moments rather than good episodes for me. I still find lots to enjoy, but it's no longer essential viewing. And Who Wants to be a Millionaire? would be such a good way for the show to close. Although that way Del would never fall through the bar, and this forum would have closed due to inactivity in the process.

biggytitbo

Utter shits list is, well utter shit. You've listed all the right episodes, just not in the right order.

itsfredtitmus

my besties:
Friday the 14th
The Longest Night
Losing Streak
Homesick
May the Force Be with You
The Russians Are Coming
Wanted
Who's a Pretty Boy?
Big Brother
Healthy Competition

Utter Shit

My list took a lot of criticism among my pals as well. I think I like the drama of the longer form episodes. That list was also done last year, it would be slightly different now. For example I think I would be more in tune with the public and have Jolly Boys Outing higher.

What lift scene are you talking about Fred? Can't remember off the top of my head, does it end with Rodney smashing his hand up?

The essential OFAH runs right up to Time On Our Hands imo, perfect ending and I don't think there's any notable difference in quality in series 6 and 7 - although I would say it's a very different show when Cassandra and Raquel arrive, it isn't better or worse, same with Grandad vs Uncle Albert.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 19, 2017, 09:48:35 AM
I can count on three fingers, the number of Only Fools and Horses episodes which I have watched.  That is my shameful confession for the day.

How many episodes are you counting on each finger?

Morrison Lard

I've not seen any for aaages,
but recently saw that Jolly Boys Outing one and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Bob Mortimer's "you Rodney plonker!" has now become the standard utterance at work upon anyone being a right bloody tit.

FredNurke

On a related note, the tag RODNEY YOU PLONKER CUNT has burnt itself into my mind.

Replies From View

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 19, 2017, 09:26:35 PM
I would say it's a very different show when Cassandra and Raquel arrive, it isn't better or worse, same with Grandad vs Uncle Albert.

I would say that it gets worse when Cassandra and Raquel arrive, and I am right.

St_Eddie

Quote from: purlieu on December 19, 2017, 09:08:39 PM
Watch at least the first five series of OFAH then.

It's on my ever expanding list of things to watch, to be sure.

Quote from: Replies From View on December 19, 2017, 09:35:32 PM
How many episodes are you counting on each finger?

25 and a half.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Replies From View on December 19, 2017, 09:46:18 PM

I would say that it gets worse when Cassandra and Raquel arrive, and I am right.

It's not as funny and loses whatever edge it had, but I love the longer form stories and pathos of the later episodes!

JoeyBananaduck

Wouldn't have minded seeing the recent docs but I don't get GOLD so tough titty. It's been many years since I watched it and I'd wager I've probably only seen 12-15 episodes total. My favourite when I was a young 'un was whichever one it is where they win the holiday and Rodney has to join the Groovy Gang. I watched the 90's Christmas trilogy then bailed after the first revival after that, which was pretty bloody dreadful to be fair. I did however catch the Sports Relief special, which was even worse.

Jockice

I've probably seen most of the episodes at least once but don't know the titles of any of them. That totally passed me by. There are a few I can guess though.

imitationleather

I've watched pretty much every episode so many times now that the only ones I can bear to sit through any more are the ones with Grandad as they tend to be shown and quoted less, aside from yer chandelier ones and the like. The noughties specials and especially that Sports Relief shite are non-canon as far as I'm concerned.

DrGreggles

Never really rated OFAH. Can't see what all the fuss is about to be honest. It's pretty average stuff on the whole. Probably some good gags in there, but the way it's revered astonishes me.

Replies From View

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 20, 2017, 09:45:35 AM
It's not as funny and loses whatever edge it had, but I love the longer form stories and pathos of the later episodes!

It's not pathos it's SHITNESS.

You love when things go shit, that's all.  I'm not judging you for that but I can't go on shielding you from the truth like this.

itsfredtitmus

only fools and horses was better when it was aping galton and simpson
our del and rodney in skintight batman suits? panto shite