Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:52:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A new Fools and Horses thread.

Started by Glebe, December 19, 2017, 06:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

like one foot in the grave, only fools and horses excelled at bottle episodes 

The Russians are coming
The Longest Night
A Losing Streak
Would Friday the 14th be a bottle? I'm calling it one anyway

lankyguy95

Little Problems is when they do pathos the best. In fact, the point I tend to separate off OFAH is post '89. I don't think it ever got truly great again after that point.

itsfredtitmus

Christmas Crackers would be an a-grade early episode if it remained a bottle throughout the entirety of it

Utter Shit

Quote from: Replies From View on December 20, 2017, 05:55:05 PM
It's not pathos it's SHITNESS.

You love when things go shit, that's all.  I'm not judging you for that but I can't go on shielding you from the truth like this.

Could be this. Best series of Scrubs is the last one. Same with The Wire.

Utter Shit

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on December 20, 2017, 06:00:59 PM
like one foot in the grave, only fools and horses excelled at bottle episodes 

The Russians are coming
The Longest Night
A Losing Streak
Would Friday the 14th be a bottle? I'm calling it one anyway

The Longest Night is incredible. Vas Blackwood yaaaaasss

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 20, 2017, 08:27:59 PM
there there, there there
I prefer s2 of partridge to s1 s'alright

JamesTC

I've watched through every episode around 5 or 6 years ago but I'd quite like to do it again. Only off putting thing is that they are butchered with edits. I keep expecting a money grabbing move from BBC Worldwide of them releasing the uncut versions which I'd happily buy but it just never seems to happen. I believe they looked into the possibility of a new DVD release for the recent anniversary but it never happened.

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 20, 2017, 08:27:59 PM
Psycho 2 is the best Psycho film.

Alien 3 is the best Alien film.

Enterprise is the best Star Trek.

Utter Shit

I am obviously lying about The Wire and Scrubs btw. Serial killer with ribbons fuck off

non capisco

The sight gag in 'The Longest Night' where we think Rodney is bravely reaching for The Shadow's gun but it turns out he's going for the packet of fags is one of my favourite moments in any sitcom. That episode also has the bit where Uncle Albert fakes a heart attack and no-one reacts so he just gets up again. It's complete gold throughout.

Right then, this is how I'm going to spend January, I've decided. A rewatch of the first six series. It should have ended with Rodney getting married.

Camp Tramp

When I went to Majorca in the 20th century, the identity of the British tourist was linked to OFAH, since every pub and restaurant would be playing it when the football wasn't on.

The Lookie Lookie men who prowled the street would always approach you by shouting "Hey Del-Boy, Hey Rodney. lookie lookie!"

I was always Rodney.

non capisco

"It's called 'There Is A Rhino Loose In The City!'"

"Woss it abaht, Del?"

itsfredtitmus

THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF IT
I KNOW WHERE RHINOS ARE GOING CHEAP

non capisco

"An 'oodunnit? What do you mean an 'oodunnit? We know 'oodunnit! The rhino dunnit!"

"He only comes out at night!"
"And where's he live in the day?"
"In a lock-up garage in a backstreet!"
"What, leasing it, is he?"

That whole scene is dripping with riches.

"And how's he escape?"
"Squeezed through the bars, most probably."

Golden age Rodney is such a brilliant character. A completely believable mix of feckless gaucheness and withering sarcasm, played to a tee by Lyndhurst.

imitationleather

Quote from: non capisco on December 20, 2017, 10:58:57 PM
"An 'oodunnit? What do you mean an 'oodunnit? We know 'oodunnit! The rhino dunnit!"

"And how's he escape?"

Golden age Rodney is such a brilliant character. A completely believable mix of feckless gaucheness and withering sarcasm, played to a tee by Lyndhurst.

Ah man. This post and subsequently remembering that scene has basically got me writhing around on the floor in hysterics. Carpet burns ahoy, but I regret nothing.

ollyboro

The first extended episodes series (the blow-up dolls, Arnie and his chains, the Groovy Gang, Del's yearning to be a yuppie etc) is probably my favourite. After that....mmm. There was too much seriousness thrown in, which came across as an excuse for the cast to show their acting chops. I'm thinking of The infamous miscarriage, Albert's mugging and the truly execrable Miami Twice. The laughs per minute got a lot fewer. Hitting the jackpot with the watch would have been a perfect full stop.

JoeyBananaduck

If someone wants to give me their top 3 episodes I'll watch and write brief reviews. First in wins. I realise having a couple of sentences about something you love sharted out by a gormless waterfowl isn't a huge incentive but hey, some of us are bored.

biggytitbo

Can't really pick three because there are far too many great episodes, but today I'll go with -

- A Losing Streak
- Friday 14th
- To Hull and Back

JoeyBananaduck

Ok, will work my way through biggy's list throughout the day. Cheers.

purlieu

Quote from: non capisco on December 20, 2017, 10:58:57 PM

"And how's he escape?"

Oh bloody hell that scene has me in absolute hysterics every time. Sometimes I think the punchline almost cheapens the joke, because I love the idea that Del's come up with this as a genuine creative idea. I'm grinning my face off just thinking about it now.

biggytitbo

They should make there's a rhino loose in the city with Craig Fairbrass in the Charlton Heston role.

JoeyBananaduck

Losing Streak

So this is my first foray into OFAH proper since 2001 when the very disappointing 'If They Could See Us Now' first aired (I didn't bother with the subsequent 2 Christmas specials). In the intervening years the show has been something I've heard people talk about to death but had no desire to revisit myself, so it has all felt a bit like nostalgia-goggled over-saturation.

That said it only took a few minutes to remember that this wasn't something just okay deified to greatest thing ever. It was genuinely great and there's a lot to like. The writing at this point, as someone said earlier, is very Galton & Simpson influenced but there's more warmth there. Albert and Harold were capable of genuinely loathing each other whereas Del loves Rodney and Rodney is merely frustrated at Del's recklessness and short-sightedness. A believable brotherly relationship. Oh, and Grandad is even more docile and raddled than I remembered, but funny and likeable with it.

Boycie is particularly cold here but I gather it was one of his first if not his actual first appearance. Poker has provided a lot of good sitcom episodes - oddly compelling to watch despite the relative lack of action. Think it must be the 'they know something we don't know' aspect. Does Del have a good hand? Does he really think Boycie is bluffing, or is Del double bluffing himself? It all builds nicely. The ultimate punchline with Rodney miscalling the double-sided coin is telegraphed from a mile away but still a funny and satisfying ending. Good episode. Pretty sure I've seen it before but a long, long time ago.

4 Aces out of 5.

imitationleather

I have often (well, okay, like twice) wondered if Boycie was intended to be a one-off character because he is such a massive cunt in that episode the idea of him being part of the gang just isn't believable at that point. I guess it's something which has been addressed in the numerous books and docs made about the series.

Great episode. Really sums up the murkier mood of the earlier series and why I favour them these days.

ollyboro

Quote from: imitationleather on December 21, 2017, 11:29:58 AM
I have often (well, okay, like twice) wondered if Boycie was intended to be a one-off character because he is such a massive cunt in that episode the idea of him being part of the gang just isn't believable at that point. I guess it's something which has been addressed in the numerous books and docs made about the series.

Great episode. Really sums up the murkier mood of the earlier series and why I favour them these days.
Similar thoughts about Trigger and his development (or lack of). In the first episode he comes across as a bit of an operator with his briefcases. A bit thick, but nowhere near as surrealistically stupid as in later episodes. It's suggested that Rodders has never met him before, but surely a 23 year old must have met one of his brother's oldest (as we find out in later episodes) school friends and drinking partners.

JoeyBananaduck

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention about Trigger - him being the one suggesting a further gamble knowing Del has a double-sided coin. They wouldn't have done that in the later years, right? Bit smart for him.

Namtab

I love the show 'n all. The writing is some of the warmest, most downright enjoyable you'll find in comedy.

However, watching quite a lot of it as per usual round this time of year, and I have to ask... where the fuck did John Sullivan conjure the 'Rodney thinks Damien is the antichrist' thing from? It feels like it belongs in a completely different show, and never quite lands for me. It's entirely out of character.

purlieu

Well, the show did what a lot of sitcoms do, in that it took the most popular one-offs and made them regulars. I don't like it in later episodes where every scheme seems to end up involving Boycie, Trigger and Denzil, and maybe Mike. In the first series particularly, Del meets different people every week, and that made it seem like a more realistically fleshed out reality.

Steptoes_Son

Quote from: purlieu on December 21, 2017, 04:31:41 PM
Well, the show did what a lot of sitcoms do, in that it took the most popular one-offs and made them regulars. I don't like it in later episodes where every scheme seems to end up involving Boycie, Trigger and Denzil, and maybe Mike. In the first series particularly, Del meets different people every week, and that made it seem like a more realistically fleshed out reality.

And we never did see Monkey Harris did we?

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on December 21, 2017, 11:26:19 AM
Losing Streak

So this is my first foray into OFAH proper since 2001 when the very disappointing 'If They Could See Us Now' first aired (I didn't bother with the subsequent 2 Christmas specials). In the intervening years the show has been something I've heard people talk about to death but had no desire to revisit myself, so it has all felt a bit like nostalgia-goggled over-saturation.

That said it only took a few minutes to remember that this wasn't something just okay deified to greatest thing ever. It was genuinely great and there's a lot to like. The writing at this point, as someone said earlier, is very Galton & Simpson influenced but there's more warmth there. Albert and Harold were capable of genuinely loathing each other whereas Del loves Rodney and Rodney is merely frustrated at Del's recklessness and short-sightedness. A believable brotherly relationship. Oh, and Grandad is even more docile and raddled than I remembered, but funny and likeable with it.

Boycie is particularly cold here but I gather it was one of his first if not his actual first appearance. Poker has provided a lot of good sitcom episodes - oddly compelling to watch despite the relative lack of action. Think it must be the 'they know something we don't know' aspect. Does Del have a good hand? Does he really think Boycie is bluffing, or is Del double bluffing himself? It all builds nicely. The ultimate punchline with Rodney miscalling the double-sided coin is telegraphed from a mile away but still a funny and satisfying ending. Good episode. Pretty sure I've seen it before but a long, long time ago.

4 Aces out of 5.
Do May the Force Be with You or Friday the 14th next and post a little review you'll love them

ollyboro

Quote from: Steptoes_Son on December 21, 2017, 04:55:29 PM
And we never did see Monkey Harris did we?
It was Sunglasses Ron and Paddy the Greek I wanted to see. I mean who wouldn't do business with two geezers sporting those monikers?