Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:19:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A new Fools and Horses thread.

Started by Glebe, December 19, 2017, 06:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Are the DVD releases edited much? Whats the best way to go about watching complete episodes from the first few series?

biggytitbo

You want the VHS releases which are I think uncut apart from clearences. The dvds are apperently butchered to pieces., as are the gold showings.

Utter Shit

That review was great Joey, would love to read more.

I agree that the Damien stuff doesn't really work, although it's almost worth it for the music stings from The Omen. Was that film our around that time? As Sullivan did like to write episodes that nodded to pop culture of the time - for example Fatal Extraction being an obvious take on Fatal Attraction not just in the title but the story and specifically the scene where Del thinks his hamster has been boiled by his stalker.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on December 21, 2017, 07:41:23 PM
Are the DVD releases edited much? Whats the best way to go about watching complete episodes from the first few series?

Edit notes

biggytitbo

This is a show that desperately needs a definitive, restored, Doctor who style set of releases, uncut and with the original music. And some decent extras. Probably missed the dvd boat now though.

itsfredtitmus

considering getting all the un-cut episodes on iTunes

TheMonk

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on December 21, 2017, 11:56:14 PM
considering getting all the un-cut episodes on iTunes
Are they uncut on iTunes then?

Replies From View

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 21, 2017, 11:32:41 PM
it's almost worth it for the music stings from The Omen.

AND RODNEY DOES A FACE.

biggytitbo

Quote from: TheMonk on December 22, 2017, 10:01:18 AM

I'd imagine they're the DVD edits - eg butchered.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 21, 2017, 07:47:17 PM
You want the VHS releases which are I think uncut apart from clearences. The dvds are apperently butchered to pieces., as are the gold showings.

The VHS versions must surely be online somewhere as video files?

biggytitbo

Yeah that's where I got all mine from in a torrent, but this was years ago. No idea if its still available.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I've never really got the appeal of it to be honest. It's all a bit too South East English for me. Same goes for Birds of a Feather. That can fuck right off and poo in a hat.

magval

Quote from: TheMonk on December 22, 2017, 10:01:18 AM

According to the Wikipedia page linked above, they are uncut on iTunes. They're from a recent UK Gold remastering session apparently. £20 for the lot, not a bad deal if there's a comfortable way to watch them, but I only ever bought one video from iTunes and it insisted I had to watch it on my laptop - I couldn't cast to my TV in any way at all, despite the fact I fucking paid for it, so I spent an inordinate, obsessive amount of time figuring out how to pirate it and gave it to all my friends for free once I did.

Uncle TechTip

There is a lot of contemporary music though, and I think the Beatles are heard more than once, these edits are the test of whether it's really uncut. The UK Gold showings are surely butchered for distasteful racial slang.

ollyboro

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on December 22, 2017, 07:53:20 PM
There is a lot of contemporary music though, and I think the Beatles are heard more than once, these edits are the test of whether it's really uncut. The UK Gold showings are surely butchered for distasteful racial slang.
Although the last time I saw the episode with the séance on Gold it included the Jimmy Savile joke.

itsfredtitmus

Gilbert O'Sullivan singing Uncle Albert in a scene that's a bit of a rip-off of the Dock scene in Blackstuff

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on December 22, 2017, 07:53:20 PM
I think the bit about "the p**i shop" is still in there from the happy returns episode

biggytitbo

So it should be, (even if it was racist, which it isn't) it's just an accurate rendition of how people spoke then. The one thing you could never accuse the show of was racism, right from its first series it was always about showing London as a proudly multicultural place, and Del as someone who treated everyone equally. They have black and Asian people as just other colorful characters in the show, in contrast to many contemporary sitcoms where ethnicity was still played for cheap laughs. It does really annoy me that sitcoms, even all time great ones, are treated in such a shoddy way, where they can just be chopped up and messed around with like they weren't important cultural artifacts. We'd never do the same with books and plays.

Utter Shit

My sister watched an Only Fools And Horses episode for the first time today. She had previously seen bits of it but didn't know a great deal about it. Went with May The Force Be With You as, as well as being a great episode generally, it has a fantastic ending. She really enjoyed it.

Netflix then went on to show the next episode, Wanted. My sister was less impressed with the show's casual treatment of rape, and false accusations of rape, as inherently funny. Interesting to see how the show goes over with younger generations (she's ten years younger than me) as that episode had never occurred to me as problematic before, in fact the only issues I'd ever had were with the - alarmingly frequent for such a cosy show - fearful attitude towards gays and the idea of being gay.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 23, 2017, 08:06:29 PM
My sister watched an Only Fools And Horses episode for the first time today. She had previously seen bits of it but didn't know a great deal about it. Went with May The Force Be With You as, as well as being a great episode generally, it has a fantastic ending. She really enjoyed it.

Netflix then went on to show the next episode, Wanted. My sister was less impressed with the show's casual treatment of rape, and false accusations of rape, as inherently funny. Interesting to see how the show goes over with younger generations (she's ten years younger than me) as that episode had never occurred to me as problematic before, in fact the only issues I'd ever had were with the - alarmingly frequent for such a cosy show - fearful attitude towards gays and the idea of being gay.

Yes that's unfortunate, it's not something that had occured to me before (I hadn't seen the episode in years) but a mate of mine emailed me a few months ago to say how extremely fucking weird and ill-judged that episode is.

itsfredtitmus

You know how there's Jerkass Homer?
Jerkass Delboy.

Psmith

I used to watch in the early days mainly for Grandad,he had the best lines.
Buster as Uncle Albert was too OTT for me.

itsfredtitmus

Drink up we're leaving

Utter Shit

The entire scene where Del becomes convinced he has AIDs because he gets his hair cut by a gayman. So dodgy.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 23, 2017, 09:21:26 PM
The entire scene where Del becomes convinced he has AIDs because he gets his hair cut by a gayman. So dodgy.

When he's in hospital? Not the entire scene, as Rodney swiftly puts him straight. It's a feasible misconception for a man of Del's generation and background, and also a reflection of how desperate and frightened he is at that point.

Trojan_Jockey

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on December 23, 2017, 10:25:39 PM
When he's in hospital? Not the entire scene, as Rodney swiftly puts him straight. It's a feasible misconception for a man of Del's generation and background, and also a reflection of how desperate and frightened he is at that point.

Well, not quite, as Rodney says Del will be alright as long as the gay hairdresser didn't kiss it better.

But I have to agree with the comment above, Uncle Albert was played 'too big' and was nowhere near as funny as Grandad.

Porter Dimi

Interesting to see how the show goes over with younger generations (she's ten years younger than me) as that episode had never occurred to me as problematic before, in fact the only issues I'd ever had were with the - alarmingly frequent for such a cosy show - fearful attitude towards gays and the idea of being gay.

There's also the occasional racial slur, and a fairly nasty refugee portrayal in one of the final Xmas specials.

biggytitbo

All of the relatively mild casual prejudices the characters show in the episodes would be utterly normal at that time in that environment. Del is hardly a bigot or a racist though in any problematic way, so I find the idea we would judge those characters based on modern sensibilities weird. If we did that it would render all art produced in the past 'bad', because they all reflect the standards of the time.

weirdbeard

Quote from: Beagle 2 on December 23, 2017, 08:46:47 PM
Yes that's unfortunate, it's not something that had occured to me before (I hadn't seen the episode in years) but a mate of mine emailed me a few months ago to say how extremely fucking weird and ill-judged that episode is.

"Now on BBC1, Rodney is accused of being a rapist, and will Del Boy avoid drinking his brothers piss?".