Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:00:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A new Fools and Horses thread.

Started by Glebe, December 19, 2017, 06:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

you ain't been at those funny fags av you rodders?

imitationleather

I made a post on here years ago that the Uncle Albert character could just be too overbearing for me and I much preferred Grandad and some posters had a right old go at me for essentially pissing on Buster Merryfield's grave. Not holding a [banned troll]-style grudge, I'm just heartened to see I'm not the only one that finds his portrayal difficult to watch at times. During the whole bit where he leaves and there's that fucking I'm Sorry Uncle Albert or whatever song I basically hope he gets found by the lads floating facedown in the Thames. Emotionally manipulative attention-seeking bastard.

Hmm... Maybe that is a bit more over the top than I actually feel about this matter. But typing it felt right.

biggytitbo

Everyone prefers grandad surely. What kind of PLONKER prefers Uncle Albert?

purlieu

I preferred Uncle Albert as a kid, then revisiting the show as an adult realised how much better Grandad is. I think that reflects the writing of the two characters quite well.

biggytitbo

Be interesting to see how some of those Uncle Albert episodes would have worked with grandad though.  I know a hole in one was started with grandad, there's even some location footage with him in the wheelchair, but it was refilmed with Uncle Albert after Lennard Pearce's death. To me the plot of that episode feels more believable with Uncle Albert, you could never imagine grandad still having that kind of agility. Ditto to Hull and Back, doesn't feel like that would have worked as well with grandad.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Porter Dimi on December 23, 2017, 10:48:50 PM
There's also the occasional racial slur, and a fairly nasty refugee portrayal in one of the final Xmas specials.

There is racial language that by today's standards jars massively but clearly isn't said with any malice (numerous mentions to 'p**i shops' etc that are just of their time, the only racist element I can remember that is said maliciously and isn't immediately shown to be unacceptable is when Albert refers to reggae being played in the pub as 'monkey music'.

Most of the time when negative comments are made about other races the people making those comments are immediately vilified by other characters (usually Raquel or Rodney) or shown to be wrong by the story (for example Del trying to exploit the two Indian blokes in series 1, but getting conned himself, the same episode having a seemingly naive restaurant owner who is actually way ahead of Del and Rodney, and the immigrant episode where the supposed immigrant turns out to be some sort of successful businessman).

Generally I think Sullivan was quite good at turning racial stereotypes on their head, and he clearly came at the show from a firmly left wing perspective, rewatching the show I've been surprised at the number of political points made about Thatcher's Britain...homophobia was the one real blind spot he seemed to have, in terms of homophobic behaviour going mostly unchecked. You could argue that it's more about alpha male Del's insecurities but it would have been good if his attitude was challenged more.

ollyboro

I don't think the Sikh motorcycle crash helmet  scene was racist. Just shit.

magval

I'm working through these on DVDs. I think I want to stop after they sell the watch, which was in Time On Our Hands if I'm not mistaken (going by the list on the back of the case).

Would I be missing anything by not watching the three episodes that come after?

biggytitbo

You won't be missing anything if you call it a day after the Jolly Boys Outing tbh.

Goldentony

Any help with this would be appreciated - months back I was sat here with my dad in the background watching an episode and there's a moment where Rodney points something out to Del in the pub, and Del fires back after a moments thought

SHUT UP RODNEY YOU BRASS

Which floored me. The delivery was perfect, but I've not been able to figure out which episode it might be. Any guesses or owt?

stonerose84

I'm pretty sure it's 'Danger UXD' though the line Del gives is "Oh shut up and sit down you old brass"

Goldentony

it's definitely not Danger UXD, me and a mate sat through the episode a while back thinking the same. That delivery is quite a playful OH SIT DOWN YOU OLD BRASS type thing. I remember this as being a stern sort of don't talk back tone of voice from Del.

Utter Shit

Quote from: ollyboro on December 24, 2017, 03:40:33 PM
I don't think the Sikh motorcycle crash helmet  scene was racist. Just shit.
Worth it for Rodney's incredulous "THEY'LL SMASH MY HEAD IN".

Gulftastic

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 26, 2017, 12:29:37 PM
You won't be missing anything if you call it a day after the Jolly Boys Outing tbh.

Yes. Never as good after that episode. And it's a good ep for all of the regular supporting cast. Nearly all of them get a bit of business to do.

itsfredtitmus

Video Nasty is wank apart from There's a Rhino Loose in the City isn't it?

RenegadeScrew

As it goes on certain characters are so cartoonish it is almost hard to believe.  The guy in the hospital in Casandra's miscarriage episode who acts like a brat and says he has "taken some pills earlier and I don't know what they are cause I was drunk" is probably the most horrific example of this.  Del punches him.

It is amazingly unsubtle.  It is from 1996!

If this is actually the script, then the character is named 'man' which is far more subtle than any of his words or actions.  http://www.geocities.ws/hookyscripts/Episode_59.htm

biggytitbo

Yeah by that 90/91 series John Sullivan had clearly started to run low on invention, but the most obvious thing is how much 'bigger' and more cartoony the show becomes, and it has to be said David Jason is probably the worse offender. Lyndhuest manages to remain quite consistent and understated with how he played the role from the first series, but Del slips ever deeper into caricature as the show drags on through the 90s.

TheMonk

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 27, 2017, 07:51:04 AM
Yeah by that 90/91 series John Sullivan had clearly started to run low on invention, but the most obvious thing is how much 'bigger' and more cartoony the show becomes, and it has to be said David Jason is probably the worse offender. Lyndhuest manages to remain quite consistent and understated with how he played the role from the first series, but Del slips ever deeper into caricature as the show drags on through the 90s.
Yes, I can't remember when but in an episode Jason appears to break from the script to sing "It ain't necessarily so" and then giggles at himself. It's distracting and appears he's taking the piss. And it's not funny.

Tony Yeboah

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on December 27, 2017, 01:28:54 AM
As it goes on certain characters are so cartoonish it is almost hard to believe.  The guy in the hospital in Casandra's miscarriage episode who acts like a brat and says he has "taken some pills earlier and I don't know what they are cause I was drunk" is probably the most horrific example of this.  Del punches him.

It is amazingly unsubtle.  It is from 1996!

If this is actually the script, then the character is named 'man' which is far more subtle than any of his words or actions.  http://www.geocities.ws/hookyscripts/Episode_59.htm

Played by Phil Cornwell. Yeah the character is completely overdone with clunky dialogue and  unconvincing 'drunk' acting, it shouldn't take much to get across that he's a drunk arsehole who deserves a punch in the face but they completely overdo it.

I think the three 1996 Christmas episodes are pretty good overall though, I just wish they had left it there and not done the last three.

ollyboro

Quote from: Utter Shit on December 26, 2017, 06:23:02 PM
Worth it for Rodney's incredulous "THEY'LL SMASH MY HEAD IN".
He gave a similar response to Del suggesting he tried to sell some wigs in the local pubs.

"How can I walk up to a bald bloke in a pub and say 'Do you wanna buy a wig?' I'll get me face smashed in."

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on December 27, 2017, 01:18:19 AM
Video Nasty is wank apart from There's a Rhino Loose in the City isn't it?

If you're interested there is a short low budget Video Nasty made by the guy that owned the Electric Cinema in Brum.

http://youtu.be/sbAbGwa1hb4

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Porter Dimi on December 23, 2017, 10:48:50 PM
and a fairly nasty refugee portrayal in one of the final Xmas specials.

If I recall, and I've not seen it since it first went out, but it was more cartoonish, offensive and shitter than 'Ant and Dec' in the Phoenix Nights.

imitationleather

That is the second of the three, isn't it? I remember for the first part thinking, "Hey, this isn't as mind-bogglingly shit as the first one. Result!" and then the refugee in the flat plot happened and I have no idea how I managed to make it to the end of the episode. Absolutely atrocious. I couldn't believe they were really going with a storyline that had such a terrible portrayal of a refugee. And for a refugee character to seem offensive back in those days when, looking back at our television shows it appears that we were all massively racist and homophobic, it had to be really bad.

I've not watched any of those three episodes since they were first on. Has anybody?

Porter Dimi

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 27, 2017, 08:33:07 PM
If I recall, and I've not seen it since it first went out, but it was more cartoonish, offensive and shitter than 'Ant and Dec' in the Phoenix Nights.

About as bad as each other. Was lorry refugee comedy a big thing in 2002?

Sebastian Cobb

I think the red tops had been hammering it in the news around then. I remember them being similar, and out around the same time but couldn't say which one came first, or be bothered to check, tbh.

Gulftastic

Quote from: imitationleather on December 27, 2017, 08:44:04 PM

I've not watched any of those three episodes since they were first on. Has anybody?

Only the last 30 minutes or so of the last one, where Rodney learns of his true heritage. After nearly three whole episodes of awful comedy, it turns into a quite good drama with some touching moments.

magval

Del drinks tea from a saucer in the first episode of series 2. Is this common?

biggytitbo

Immensely so yes, could hardly move for people doing that in the 80s.

magval