Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:36:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Franchises that mightn't be able to be revived

Started by Z, December 19, 2017, 09:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z

While they absolutely could and would have brought back full fledged Star Wars films regardless, it certainly helps that they were able to bring back so much of the original cast to supplant the goodwill the original trilogy held that all the other crap Lucas has done with the brand had lost. So it's got me thinking, are there many franchises that Hollywood would probably love to revive but probably won't be able to due to how strongly the original cast/crew is associated with it.

Back to the Future immediately springs to mind, even though the two of them are still alive it'd just be kind of bleak to see them do another one. It'll be interesting to see what Disney do with this new Indiana Jones too, Ford is almost certainly too old for it to work but I wouldn't count them out.

Custard

I read there's some legal stuff in place from either Bob Gale or Robert Zemeckis that stops a BTTF reboot happening in their lifetime. So hopefully they never die

I actually wouldn't care if new ones were made. Could do it with new characters, like that Ghostbusters last year. Oh wait.

I genuinely think Alien has nowhere else to go. And Terminator.

Imagine someone trying to do another Godfather? Or Taxi Driver? Or Citizen Kane? Or Baby Boom?

Doesn't bear thinking about

Z

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 19, 2017, 09:54:32 PM
Imagine someone trying to do another Godfather?
I mean, it's ages ago now, but this one actually happened with 3.

asids

Arguably any franchise can be revived via reboot/remake that goes outside the original cast. I get the feeling something like Back to the Future will be rebooted/remade, with the one that played Steve in Stranger Things earmarked for the role of Marty McFly. That or a remake of The Goonies or E.T. or something.

If we're going by original cast, then maybe something like The Matrix. Keanu Reeves' new look wouldn't really fit playing Neo, and the idea of a bunch of now 50-somethings jumping around like nutters like the old films would look a bit silly.

A Home Alone revival wouldn't really be possible, unless they changed the plot to be about a break in when Kevin McAllister's sitting home alone still living with his parents, smoking dope on the dole. That might be a good one actually.

Z

Quote from: asids on December 19, 2017, 10:10:48 PM
Arguably any franchise can be revived via reboot/remake that goes outside the original cast. I get the feeling something like Back to the Future will be rebooted/remade, with the one that played Steve in Stranger Things earmarked for the role of Marty McFly. That or a remake of The Goonies or E.T. or something.
I mean successfully revived in a way that benefits from the goodwill of the franchise as opposed to a huge marketing campaign. Robocop was revived despite facing a fuckton of resistance, Ghostbusters was revived and I can't imagine it would've gone much better with non-lady Ghostbusters.

I think also in the past there was maybe a thing where parents liked the idea of their kids liking the new version of the same thing they liked as a kid that doesn't apply so much anymore, people don't develop the same kind of distance towards things they liked as a kid or w/e.

imitationleather

Never mind any of the original cast, I'll have died of old age before they finally make that new Carry On film.

Gulftastic

Quote from: imitationleather on December 19, 2017, 10:55:27 PM
Never mind any of the original cast, I'll have died of old age before they finally make that new Carry On film.

And the living would envy the dead.

greenman

Quote from: Z on December 19, 2017, 10:23:24 PM
I mean successfully revived in a way that benefits from the goodwill of the franchise as opposed to a huge marketing campaign. Robocop was revived despite facing a fuckton of resistance, Ghostbusters was revived and I can't imagine it would've gone much better with non-lady Ghostbusters.

In both of those cases I think the big issue was really the culture in Hollywood these days, a high budget ultra graphic action film with a dark satirical edge to it just isn't  the kind of thing that gets made anymore and neither is a witty comedy with a serious Lovecraftian horror plot. We basically got the stories shifted into far blander and less interesting modern molds which was always going to be a disaster.

There does seem to be some movement on it but I did always think Highlander was well suited for a revival. Everything that followed the first film was rather silly and the MTV style of the original would probably have needed to be dropped but the basic concept could probably make for a pretty strong dramatic blockbuster from someone with a decent level of talent.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

In spite of the title, Die Hard must surely be finished. Even if he wasn't far too old, Bruce Willis clearly doesn't give a toss anymore and no one wants to see the series continue with that Jai Courtney in the lead.

Famous Mortimer

The big horror franchises of the 80s and 90s, because they've already tried once with most of them and they were terrible. I mean, it's possible they might try again, with the 40th anniversary of Friday the 13th coming up soon, but I think the other set of remakes sort of proved it was a poor idea.

I was pondering Hellraiser, which seems determined to chug along without letting Clive Barker anywhere near it again. He wrote a script for a remake / reboot a decade ago, and since then we've had a part 9 of the franchise (one of those made-to-keep-the-rights efforts which is unbelievably terrible) and it looks like part 10 will be the same. Heck, the director even said it's a rights issue movie, but one made with blah blah blah wank hand gesture. Reading the Wikipedia page for part 10, it sounds like fanfiction, but not as good.

greenman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 20, 2017, 10:45:50 PM
In spite of the title, Die Hard must surely be finished. Even if he wasn't far too old, Bruce Willis clearly doesn't give a toss anymore and no one wants to see the series continue with that Jai Courtney in the lead.

I could see them dumping Willis and attempting a remake of the original though.

Sebastian Cobb

Nah, not right now. It is to Christmas films what Fairy-tale of New York is to Christmas Music - a hoplessly predictable and mainstream act of rebellion. It's far too popular to touch just now I reckon.

Replies From View

notjosh

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 20, 2017, 10:45:50 PM

Bruce Willis to return for new 'Die Hard' 'part-prequel' movie

greenman

I hope they stick to the idea of the original that his character was just an average cop in an extreme situation and this film is low key slice of life drama, McClain maybe dealing with institutional racism at work as well as gender dynamics as his wives career takes off above his own.

SteveDave

I hope to see the return of the "HAAAAIIIIIIR IIIIIISSSLLLAAAAAAAAAAND!" as it's not John McClane without that.

Shit Good Nose

I think pretty much anything is considered fair game these days.  It honestly wouldn't surprise me if someone tried to do a Godfather legacy film or series or something.

Even shit/poor performing films are routinely rebooted.

Thomas

I don't think they should revive or reboot any more franchises - a word that makes me feel sick, as if somebody has thrust a handful of greasy fries into my mouth - and they should instead make some new original standalone films.

Reckon they'll do a new Groundhog Day though, and they'll give it a sequel where the recast Andie MacDowell character gets stuck in a loop of her own.