Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:25:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

(spam): The Project

Started by Delete Delete Delete, December 24, 2017, 12:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Comc Strip time presents les dogs.

Film time now with The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years

ToneLa

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on February 26, 2019, 10:31:29 PM
Film time now with The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years

Gotta say this was not a histrionic title

Just a few catch up notes on the last couple of weeks of show.

In regards to the Manhunter soundtrack it has inspired me to check out Shriekback, mostly the Oil and Gold album. Gotta say I'm very taken with it. It reminds more of a more competent Happy Mondays. Also been going down a Kitaro hole as well, picking up both Oil and Gold and The Silk Road soundtrack on vinyl.

If you not familiar with the documentary series  its up on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qer5yTyYvI&t=2070s
This has some nostalgic pangs for me as its one of the Albums my dad used to play me, The list is pretty much
. Kitaro - Silk Road
. Jarre - Oxygene
. Kraftwerk - Man/Machine
. Brian Eno - Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks
. War Of The Worlds Musical Soundtrack

As for The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years, I've been thinking about it a lot and what makes a good documentary. I enjoyed watching it, despite finding most of the interviewees horrible people. I wonder what the intention was of the documentary, was it to showcase a scene they were passionate about or was it a hatchet job exposing the scene. I also thought the Lemmy came across as quite down to earth in comparison with some of the other monster interviewed. I hope others found the documentary enjoyable and worth watching, despite being about people you wouldn't want to meet or be in a room with.

Of course the standout moment was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgKATgblWZc

The cut away to the spilling Orange juice is such a stitch up, in the original  interview included on the DVD, he pours it into the glass with no spillages.

How do people feel about throwing wild card films in like this? I feel its important to challenge our default tastes and some times with the aid of the chatroom tackle a genre we wouldn't watch on our own.

Spoon of Ploff

Not enough hentai I think the film mix works well. Films like Persona keep creeping back into my brain weeks later, and the less interesting (to me) movies are enhanced by the top banter produced in the chat.

Last year's 'The Classics You've Always Wanted To See' month was inspired. Can we do something like that again please?

Cheers, Sploff (Professional (spam) Sycophant)

buzby

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on March 01, 2019, 02:07:17 AM
In regards to the Manhunter soundtrack it has inspired me to check out Shriekback, mostly the Oil and Gold album. Gotta say I'm very taken with it. It reminds more of a more competent Happy Mondays.
It is a cracking album. I only discovered them through the Manhunter soundtrack back in the 90s after it was on Moviedrome, as despite being a British band they had absolutely zero traction over here.
As for The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years, I've been thinking about it a lot and what makes a good documentary. I enjoyed watching it, despite finding most of the interviewees horrible people. I wonder what the intention was of the documentary, was it to showcase a scene they were passionate about or was it a hatchet job exposing the scene.
Spheeris wasn't actually into music, but she was working as a music video director in the early 80s which required her to go to clubs to make contacts and watch potential clients so she decided to use her gear to document the people she met in the Cali Punk scene. By the time of Part 2 her daughter Anna Fox was 17 and part of the LA hair metal scene (she had just started going out with a 28-year-old Nikki Sixx) and it was Anna who did most of the groundwork on contacting what bands to talk to and what clubs to film at. I think they were probably Anna's friends but Spheeris was more detached from that scene, so we get a bit more of a critical view of it through her mother.

It was Anna who finally convinced her to reissue the series on DVD in 2015, and did most of the work in putting the releases together and assembling the extras (though a lot of the additional interview footage was edited to remove un-PC comments, as Spheeris and Fox are still friends with a lot of the people who were interviewed for Parts I and II and didn't want to portray them in a bad light though things they said 30 years ago).
I also thought the Lemmy came across as quite down to earth in comparison with some of the other monster interviewed. I hope others found the documentary enjoyable and worth watching, despite being about people you wouldn't want to meet or be in a room with.
Lemmy always comes across as a reasonable bloke in interviews. Then you get to his house and see his massive collection of Nazi memorabilia....

It was an enjoyable watch, despite the fact that almost all the people involved were dickheads.
How do people feel about throwing wild card films in like this? I feel its important to challenge our default tastes and some times with the aid of the chatroom tackle a genre we wouldn't watch on our own.
I'm always happy for you to mix it up Del. I was made up to get Bullitt, Diva and Manhunter on the list and maybe introduce them to people who have never seen them before. I'm sure others feel the same about their suggestions. Even complete car crashes of films like Pepper and Candy (that I probably would never have bothered with watching on my own) are entertaining when you have (virtual) company to discuss it with.

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on March 01, 2019, 09:30:30 AM

Last year's 'The Classics You've Always Wanted To See' month was inspired. Can we do something like that again please?

This will make a come back, so you guys get thinking your picks. Lets say April's Films?

Tuesday 05/03/19 at 6pm

Week 62

6pm The Boy From Space - Episode 10  (Wordys Final Killing Spree)
6:20 Batman The Animated Series - His Silicon Soul
6:40 King Of The Hill - Pregent PAws
7:05 Doctor Who - The Ambassadors Of Death Part 6
7:30 The Twilight Zone - Nervous Man In A Four Dollar Room
7:55 Mr Show - Show Me Your Weenis!
8:20 Mystery Wild Card Show
8:50 Red Dwarf - The Last Day (End Of Series 3)
9:20  Seinfeld - The Outing
9:50 Quantum Leap - Unchained ( O Brother Where Art Sam?)

10:35 The Pope Must Die (1991) (OH FUCK ME)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWA_4EWEoGA

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on March 01, 2019, 10:01:53 PM
This will make a come back, so you guys get thinking your picks. Lets say April's Films?

If we're talking Classics unseen again I would like to request Metropolis. I've seen plenty of clips, a-and a version with an 'updated' sound track by Queen... yeah imagine that. Would love to see an original restored version if possible.

ToneLa

Ooh classics.

The Third Man
After Hours

NoSleep

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on March 02, 2019, 02:28:09 PM
If we're talking Classics unseen again I would like to request Metropolis. I've seen plenty of clips, a-and a version with an 'updated' sound track by Queen... yeah imagine that. Would love to see an original restored version if possible.

It all gets a bit sentimentally religious by the end (in reaction to the futurism of earlier). The clips you've seen are the probably the best bits. Much preferred Aelita: Queen Of Mars as an early major sci-fi film (and it predates Metropolis by a couple of years). Of course, Aelita gets all Soviet by the end (starting from the beginning) but that ingredient works much better (especially as it was filmed in the spirit of hope of the early years) but they thankfully dispense with sentimentality. And it has to be the full-length film (1h:51m) not the shorter (and therefore confusing) version.

hedgehog90

I have to agree with NoSleep, the best bits are the iconic shots that you already know, the film itself isn't all that engaging tbh. Also the restored version (the only version I've seen) is 150 minutes long.
I think Avril brought up Picnic on Hanging Rock recently. We've both seen it but I think it would be a good one to group-watch.

Reminder his is on tonight from 6pm, the pre show starting at 3pm right here. https://live.fc2.com/6162694/

Join early for some music and chat.

Time for the Mystery Wild Card.

Film time with the pope must die.

Replies From View

Flouncer

It was fucking terrible, mate. There was a unanimous opinion in the chat that it was a waste of time for everyone involved in the production of the film. Me and Delete chalked up one snigger and two chuckles between the pair of us throughout the whole thing.

Replies From View

I rarely snigger or chuckle during comedy anyway so maybe it was actually good.