Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:30:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

(spam): The Project

Started by Delete Delete Delete, December 24, 2017, 12:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

I had positive memories of watching it as a teenager(one of the first films we taped off telly, so it got rewatched a lot), but it was amazing how lacking in humour it actually was.

Just seems to be another example of Richardson over-reaching with his filmic ambitions, although at least it wasn't as much of an embarrassing farce as Eat The Rich.

Before starting the Comic Strip I always assumed that the Comic Strip was made up of French and Saunders, Planer, Edmonson and Mayall. The disspointing thing is its actually a    Peter Richardson and Pete Richens vanity project that just happend to feature the others sometimes.

Phil_A

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on March 06, 2019, 11:52:44 PM
Before starting the Comic Strip I always assumed that the Comic Strip was made up of French and Saunders, Planer, Edmonson and Mayall. The disspointing thing is its actually a    Peter Richardson and Pete Richens vanity project that just happend to feature the others sometimes.

Absolutely, it can't be a coincidence that the best ones we've watched have been those written by the likes of Rik & Ade and Dawn & Jennifer.

Before I forget, can I nominate Billy Liar for Classics Month?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoE8h5q1kMg

Tuesday 12/03/19 at 6pm

Week 63
6pm King Of The Castle Episode 1
6:20 Batman The Animated Series - Fire From Olympus
6:40 King Of The Hill - Next Of Shin
7:05 Doctor Who - The Ambassadors Of Death Part 7 (Final Part)
7:30 The Twilight Zone - A Thing About Machines
7:55 Mr Show - Rudy Will Await Your Foundation
8:20 The Comic Strip Presnts - Red Nose Of Courage
8:50 Red Dwarf - Camille (With Commentry)
9:20  Seinfeld - The Old Man
9:50 Quantum Leap - The Plays The thing

10:35 Mr Vampire (1985)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JojYPtVqfXY

Classics Nomianted so Far.

Metropolis
The Third Man
Picnic At Hanging Rock
Billy Liar

Looking like a cracking line up so far, keep the nominations coming as I don't mind showing them until the nominations are finished.

shiftwork2

I would like to nominate The Anderson Tapes for your consideration.

Danger Man

The Offence is the cool kids go to Connery movie.

I suppose some Amicus films have been done?

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: Danger Man on March 07, 2019, 11:09:15 PM
The Offence is the cool kids go to Connery movie.

I suppose some Amicus films have been done?

In light of Metropolis not being to everyone's taste I was going to suggest The Hill

but its not so much a classic as another film you might not have expected to see Sean Connery In... which isn't much of a theme... also I've seen it so it breaks the rules.

Replies From View

Del you're going to need to learn how to spell commentary if you don't want me to be sick on you in the next six weeks.

Sorry, I wasm eant to say Connery.

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on March 08, 2019, 07:39:49 AM
In light of Metropolis not being to everyone's taste I was going to suggest The Hill

but its not so much a classic as another film you might not have expected to see Sean Connery In... which isn't much of a theme... also I've seen it so it breaks the rules.
With the nominations of The Anderson Tapes and The Hill, I noted that they were both directed Sidney Lumet (director of 12 Angry Men), so thought this could be a good opportunity to do a trinity of his films as 12 Angry Men went down very well, so I'll be adding his film The Pawnbroker to the list to complete the Trilogy. This will be the next 3 weeks worth of films taking us into the classics month.

Reminder the stream is on from 6pm tonight with a preshow starting from 3pm.

Starting off the stream with our new series King Of The Castle.

Danger Man

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on March 12, 2019, 10:42:34 AM
With the nominations of The Anderson Tapes and The Hill, I noted that they were both directed Sidney Lumet (director of 12 Angry Men), so thought this could be a good opportunity to do a trinity of his films as 12 Angry Men went down very well, so I'll be adding his film The Pawnbroker to the list to complete the Trilogy. This will be the next 3 weeks worth of films taking us into the classics month.

Reminder the stream is on from 6pm tonight with a preshow starting from 3pm.

The Offence is also a Lumet/Connery film but as the plot revolves around a police officer who has a mental breakdown while interrogating a suspected child murderer it's probably a bit too bleak for (spam).

Still funnier that The Pope Must Die, though.

ToneLa

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on March 12, 2019, 10:59:21 PM
Film time with Mr Vampire.

Surely one of the more slapstick black comedies. In the West I fuckin shudder, usually but not always, at the marriage of horror + comedy: this just screamed Originality and capped off a fine night for me (I passed out last week because I downed two bottles of red).

Ah feel like the bird in Office Space: Kung Fu. Yet it wasn't a genre film. Was just good. Originality smacks ye in the face. The dialogue was smart, I only wish I knew more background (Buzby is an amazing watch-partner btw) to deeper appreciate the clearly-present jokes, puns and symbolism. A door for me has been opened.

You lot see me shit in the Brexit thread daily: I've posted my fuckin heart oot thair; I'm doomed, I truly am; I've walked into (spam) just expecting entertainment and there is no better recent film to jizz over than this. I am not doomed; that's a fuckin Cheers of a channel that.

I remain baffled and amused that it "inspired a vampire craze with toys and a lot of other merchandise that had a vampire on them". Japan: whair else? (Wiki)

I like (spam) more than the main forum.

Cheers Del. You're over with me. Roll on classics month! If you can't get off yir fuckin arse to see a fillum at least try to get yirsel to watch it socially with a sound group of funny fuckers who make you laugh. A high chance you'll catch me ranting as well; if ye must have downsides. You appreciate posters here more - forums are fucking still examples of lifeforms; how we come alive when it's realtime! What ye scared of?

That's my review. Heart on sleeve: Top night. My cockles fuckin warmed, and walkin through that door is the best thing I've done on this site.

Plus it had somebody voodoo dolling someone to get his bum out.

ToneLa

Haha. If that doesn't scream Classic nowt does. If Gone with the Wind was missing something...

Nice one, Del

Edit: Also got a borderline entry for Classics month: Fritz the Cat.

QuoteMy soul is tormented! I've been up and down the four corners of this big old world! I've seen it all! I've done it all! I've fought many a good man, and laid many a good woman! I've had riches and fame and adventure...I've tasted life to the fullest, and still my heart cries out, yes, cries out in this hungry, tortured, wrecked quest: 'More!'

(Probably too late an era, but worth pencilling in sometime if not done already IMO)

buzby

That was a smasher of a film Del, exspecially after that piss-poor QL episode. Not only is there a sequel, it was actually a series of 5 films! The anime that I was trying to remember with the shinto priestess who fired paper prayers at ghosts & demons was Vampire Princess Miyu, I think. which was shown on SciFi back in the old days of Sky Analogue. It had a lot of the same themes as Mr. Vampire (minus the comedy), and was obviously based on the japanese take on the 'jiangshi' genre.

My recommendation for the unseen classics season was the Powell & Pressburger masterpiece A Matter Of Life And Death (even though I've seen it...).

I've managed to track down Mr Vampire 2, but the other sequals are proving more tricky.

Fritz has been in myp ending folder for ages, but havn't pulled the trigger yet.