Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:54:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

(spam): The Project

Started by Delete Delete Delete, December 24, 2017, 12:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor Who The Mind Of Evil starting now.

Film time now with Churchill The Hollywood Years.

I am so sorry for last nights film. So many Comedic geniuses died for our sins last night.

Spoon of Ploff

i think we need the odd Churchill or Lonely Hearts every now and then for balance.

but those short documentaries are really great. themed coffee shops! and filum distribution.

a-and see how far we've come. you don't need to send off for a hard copy of New Builders (1944). It's right here on the internet:

https://youtu.be/3L-TduKGE9w

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on June 05, 2019, 08:36:31 PM
i think we need the odd Churchill or Lonely Hearts every now and then for balance.

Churchill was like the time we all watched Threads, which I do count as a good thing but not something I'd like to experience again.

So Churchill The Hollywood Years is a good as Nucler fallout. Thats a tag line they should of put on the film poster. Out of all film failures, Comedy is the hardest to enjoy in a good bad way.

buzby

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on June 05, 2019, 08:36:31 PM
a-and see how far we've come. you don't need to send off for a hard copy of New Builders (1944). It's right here on the internet:

https://youtu.be/3L-TduKGE9w

The sad thing is at the same time that film was being made, the building industry was trying to do them out of jobs by introducing various types of non-traditional construction systems with the aim of speeding up and lowering the cost of rebuilding housing stock lost in the war. The likes of Wimpey, Unit and Laing all introduced variations of cast in-situ concrete houses (a mould was made in the shape of the outer walls around steel reinforcing bars and 'no-fines' concrete, which used fly ash from furnaces and large pebbles instead of sand and gravel, which were in short supply, was poured in from the top. Other builders like Boswell and Orlit were building houses from precast concrete posts and panels, while others used steel frames and metal panels.

Unsurprisingly, most of these types of construction had major flaws in the long run, which left councils with expensive to maintain houses and tenants usually ended up not being able to afford to heat them. Early adopters of 'right to buy' also sometimes ended up with unmortgageable lemons with major structural problems too. The Housing Defects Act was passed by Parliament in 1984 to allow grants for owners of these houses to pay for structural remediation and energy improvement work to be carried out.

hedgehog90

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 05, 2019, 09:17:14 PM
Churchill was like the time we all watched Threads, which I do count as a good thing but not something I'd like to experience again.

Churchill was hot stinking garbage from start to finish, strangely enjoyable though in a way... That rap song tho... *shiver*
Threads on the other hand was excellent. I'd rate it as my favourite CaB film so far.
I also think Michael Haneke's Funny Games (the 1997 version) is my favourite film from the last few months of non-CaB movie watching... which - along with Threads - probably says a lot about me.

Funny Games would be amazingly inappropriate film for (spam) btw, I almost want to suggest it as a recommendation (but I won't)

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: hedgehog90 on June 06, 2019, 10:54:25 AM
Churchill was hot stinking garbage from start to finish. Threads on the other hand was excellent. I'd rate as my favourite CaB film so far.

Threads was indeed excellent and successful in everything it aimed to do, but for that reason I found it so intensely bleak & emotionally draining that its pitch-black vibe of grim futility was still hanging over me a good while later... just like Churchill The Hollywood Years!

I still haven't seen Funny Games as I know the plot and feel like again it could be a bit too bleak a watch for me, but maybe the effect would be lessened by watching with the (spam) crew.

Spoon of Ploff

Maybe the impact of Funny Games could be comfortably reduced by having Delete put the Dancing Pizza Slice GIF up whenever the film got a bit too intense?

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on June 06, 2019, 12:12:44 PM
Maybe the impact of Funny Games could be comfortably reduced by having Delete put the Dancing Pizza Slice GIF up whenever the film got a bit too intense?

Like playing some kind of audience-manipulation meta-game against Michael Haneke?  I approve!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on June 05, 2019, 08:17:54 PM
I am so sorry for last nights film. So many Comedic geniuses died for our sins last night.

I went on a two day bender the following day.  That's your fault, that is.

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 06, 2019, 11:15:20 AM
I still haven't seen Funny Games as I know the plot and feel like again it could be a bit too bleak a watch for me, but maybe the effect would be lessened by watching with the (spam) crew.

It's a great film but as hedgehog90 said, it's not really appropriate for a CaB watch along.  It's the kind of film which demands that it be watched alone, with one's fully undivided attention.

Tuesday 11/06/19 at 6pm

Week 76
6pm Maid Marion - The Beast of Bolsover (Start Of Series 2)
6:20 The Tick - The Tick Vs Mole Man
6:40 King Of The Hill - Love Hurts ... And So Does Art
7:05 Doctor Who - The Mind Of Evil (Part 2)
7:30 The Twilight Zone - Twenty-Two
7:55 Kids In The Hall - Season 1 - Episode 6
8:20 The Comic Strip Presnts - The Hunt For Tony Blair
9:05 Red Dwarf - Legion
9:35 Curb Your Enthusiasm - AAMCO
10:00 Quantum Leap - Leaping Of The Shrew

10:50 The Movie

Hacker (1995)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn2cf_wJ4f4

Reminder this is on tonight from 6pm with a preshow from 5pm.

garbed_attic

End of year student's showcase at the uni tonight, but I **have** to find a free computer for the KoTH screening since it is my favourite episode of the show (and I really do love KoTH) and inspired my username.

King Of The Hill time, paging all Gout Ponys.