Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:51:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Excruciating films

Started by BlodwynPig, December 24, 2017, 02:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

1. Maybe, Baby

I think this shit heralded the birth of the shit noughties. Every scene is dated and I'm cringeing and blushing with shame. Luvvies luvvieing it up and trying to be nu-edgy at the same time. I'll never recover from this

greenman

Never seen this but I always assumed it was what killed off the "silly" Hugh Laurie.

Phil_A

3. The Boat That Rocked

A hideously embarrassing and tone-deaf effort that fails to capture any feeling of the era it's supposed to be representing, and that was before Yewtree added a whole other layer of implied sleaze to the wretched endeavour.

4. Perfect Woman

They say there's nothing so painful as a failed comedy, you don't know the half of it. I think I only recorded this off Talking Pictures as I saw the golden words "Starring Cameron Mitchell" in the description, but I really shouldn't have bothered. Imagine if Morons From Outer Space was a seventies US sex comedy made for about $5 and you'll have some idea.

5. The Green Hornet (2011 version)

Possibly the most painful couple of hours I've ever spent in the cinema.

QDRPHNC

The Hangover. Watched the first 30 mins last night then had to turn it off it was so stupid.

bgmnts

Quote from: greenman on December 24, 2017, 11:01:03 AM
Nah, intentional pisstake and very amusing.

Think that's a case of "Oh most people think this is shit? It's a satire then!". I'd usually give Verhoeven the benefit of the doubt but that film is too terrible.

Gwen Taylor on ITV

My worst experience in the cinema was Meet the Fockers.  Utterly dull, uninspired dross that was neither too bad to be interesting or at any point close to be funny.

Small Man Big Horse

Mad Cows - Anna Friel, Joanna Lumley and Greg Wise all fuck about in this absurdly cartoonish flick where all the characters are shockingly unlikeable and the plot is idiotic and annoying throughout.

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Released in 1999 so it's nice to think someone in the film industry thought it would be a good to jump on the bandwagon of a devastating disease in the farming industry with a tie-in film.

Blumf

Quote from: bgmnts on December 24, 2017, 11:47:33 AM
Think that's a case of "Oh most people think this is shit? It's a satire then!". I'd usually give Verhoeven the benefit of the doubt but that film is too terrible.

Seriously mate, it's so clearly a piss take. The dialogue, the ridiculous clichéd plot, that fucking pool sex scene. You can not take the film seriously, it is not meant to be taken seriously.

It's testament to Verhoeven's skill that so many people are taken in by it.

Sebastian Cobb

Children of the corn. Shit.

bgmnts

Quote from: Blumf on December 24, 2017, 01:09:08 PM
Seriously mate, it's so clearly a piss take. The dialogue, the ridiculous clichéd plot, that fucking pool sex scene. You can not take the film seriously, it is not meant to be taken seriously.

It's testament to Verhoeven's skill that so many people are taken in by it.

Even it is a piss take it's a shit piss take. Just hate it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Gwen Taylor on ITV on December 24, 2017, 12:15:07 PM
My worst experience in the cinema was Meet the Fockers.  Utterly dull, uninspired dross that was neither too bad to be interesting or at any point close to be funny.

Oh yes, I'd rather have been carving satanic creed into my belly than suffer that

BlodwynPig

Tom Hollander's performance in Maybe Baby was risible, playing a rebellious Glaswegian director with an obsession for saying heroin. It's a real surprise to see him and Laurie actually acting again - e.g. the night manager, where Hollander essentially does the same character with a polished sheen of respectability. Joely Richardson could be outacted by a plank of wood

BlodwynPig

The worst thing about the film though is that it really represents Britishness in all its faux-edgy, fawning, middle-class striving worst.

Glebe

I only caught bits of Renne Zellwegger/Ewan McGregor romcom Down with Love on TV once, but it seemed like the most annoying bit of fluff ever created.

Bazooka

Any of the Anglo-American films, The Holiday, Love Actually etc.

Porter Dimi

Speaking of Love Actually, the abysmal Valentine's Day is a shameless rip-off. Makes Love Actually look like Gone With the Wind.

Dr Rock

Dr Rock

Quote from: bgmnts on December 24, 2017, 11:47:33 AM

No, Verhoeven took a serious but laughable script dumb idiot Joe Eszterhas wrote and filmed it as a black comedy/satire. It's 'terrible' because it turns everything up to twelve when it was already at eleven, but it only seems terrible if you don't see it as the spoof that it is. Then it's brilliant.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Glebe on December 25, 2017, 02:33:15 AM
I only caught bits of Renne Zellwegger/Ewan McGregor romcom Down with Love on TV once, but it seemed like the most annoying bit of fluff ever created.

It's the most pleased with itself load of old nonsense I've ever seen.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Glebe on December 25, 2017, 02:33:15 AM

I loved that. But then I saw it with the first ever girlfriend I was in love with (rather than dating hoping it might get to that point) and also sort of liked Love Actually during that time, so clearly cannot be trusted.

Glebe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 25, 2017, 01:51:11 PMI loved that. But then I saw it with the first ever girlfriend I was in love with (rather than dating hoping it might get to that point) and also sort of liked Love Actually during that time, so clearly cannot be trusted.

I can handle some bits of Love Actually. But a large chunk of it is the ultimate in shit for cunts shitness.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 24, 2017, 02:17:52 PM
The worst thing about the film though is that it really represents Britishness in all its faux-edgy, fawning, middle-class striving worst.
Richard Curtis? Stephen Fry? Rowan Atkinson? Hugh Laurie? Hugh Grant?

Twit 2

spamwangler

Sat through a bit of bugzy malone today and found it unbearable for some reason I can't put my finger on

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: spamwangler on December 25, 2017, 10:29:37 PM
Sat through a bit of bugzy malone today and found it unbearable for some reason I can't put my finger on
songs are good

BlodwynPig

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on December 25, 2017, 03:24:46 PM
Richard Curtis? Stephen Fry? Rowan Atkinson? Hugh Laurie? Hugh Grant?

Wankers all, except Bean