Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:01:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2005 LPs...

Started by mayer, January 14, 2005, 01:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayer

(list compiled with some help from here)

31st January
The Others - The Others

It's okay, but... 5 released tracks already on it, poor production, some dodgy vocals, dodgier lyrics, and a couple of very poor songs drag it down a lot. Some of the (lazy) press are comparing them to the Sex Pistols. Apart from having so many old songs on their first LP, I can't see it. If The Others are the Pistols, then it's a shame they seem to have skipped straight to releasing their Flogging A Dead Horse.

14th February
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

A bit disappointing for me.... a clutch of great tracks, the singles/EP tracks and Like Eating Glass are all lovely, but it just sags terribly in the second half. May need to give it some more time, *shrugs*.

21st February
David Bowie - Stage (Reissue)

Extra songs... and the whole lot in the order it was played! Not the wanky Eno "put the hits on one record" nonsense! *wets self*

Live is being reiussued, but even a fancy cover and new tracks won't be able to save that travesty I fear.

28th Febraury
House Of Love - Days Run Away

If it's at least half as good as the butterfly album, I'll be smiley.

7th March
Idlewild - Warnings/Promises

I still like them.

21st March
Daft Punk - Human After All

Hopefully more like Homework than Discovery (which I still liked) but the critics have not been kind I'm told.

28th March
New Order - Waiting For The Sirens Call

I've not heard any of it yet. Apparently it sounds like Technique. *Crosses fingers*. Could be really, really good.

11th April
Hot Hot Heat - Elevators

To give 42nd street something other than Bandages to play eh?

May 26th
Oasis - ?

Ach. *Crosses fingers, legs and all other extraneous appendages*. C'mon, it could be good, couldn't it?

Plus possibly LPs from Primal Scream, Super Furry Animals, BRMC.

Oh, and the album of the year will be

Special Needs - Blue Skies

of course.

What else is there?

splattermac

Beck is absent from your list as is Mogwai and Grandaddy, I already have the leaked Bright Eye's double.

No matter what is released this year, like last, I will hit Dec 31 thinking what a great year for music it's been.

Roll on 2005, Daft Punk better be good, not bothered about the rest, I'm expecting rubbish from most of the big names.

edit: oh and Pavement will reform and do a winter tour.

pretty dead boy

there's a new doves lp in a bit, which'll hopefully be not-shit.  the single's shit, though.  they forgot to put a song in under the motown whirliness, and one day they're going to have to buy another drum.

there's a new scott walker lp!, with elizabeth fraser, on 4ad towards the end of the year.

there's a new primal scream album at eastertime, a new spiritualized in september, hopefully.

QuoteMay 26th
Oasis - ?

Ach. *Crosses fingers, legs and all other extraneous appendages*. C'mon, it could be good, couldn't it?

it will be such shite, though, won't it?  there's an everburning flicker of hope, one fuelled by the fact that for that dvd they released, they had to expose themself to tons of definitely maybe live footage and listen to the first lp's singles and b-sides again, and realise that they used to be good, liam used to sing-not-snarl.  it doesn't mean anything though; it'll be more chuggy ploddy guitar music with squidgy solos and lyrics about 'soul' and things like 'get up' in it.

edit: ooh!, and a new big star lp.  if anyone's interested, the biography that just got released is really good.  order it into your library NOW!

mayer

Quote from: "Noel Gallagher"there's one song called 'Part Of The Queue' which is about living in London and how you always seem to be queuing up for things in that city

It's not looking good, is it?

Suggestions from others...

Maximo Park
Kaiser Chiefs
Kate Bush
"G'n'R"
Art Brut (this will be FAB!)
Belle & Sebastian

Kawaii Five-O

New Coachwhips album out on the 25th of this month, on peanut butter and jam coloured vinyl, and the bloke heard something about a new Boredoms album coming out this year, but I can't find any info about it. Does anyone know anything about that?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

A new Scream album? Ace. Has there been any word on how it's going to sound? I'm guessing it'll be different to the last two as last I heard, Kevin Shields has left to re-form My Bloody Valentine. Or just make more soundtracks for cruddy pseudo arthouse films.

Lord, Lost in Translation was shit.

mayer

Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"last I heard, Kevin Shields has left to re-form My Bloody Valentine

Nah.

I keep an ear to my broadband cable for any credible rumours of that.

If it seemed likely I'd be wiping load-after-load of spunk off my monitor.

This ain't GD, and irrespective of what one thinks of LiT, the soundtrack was the sex. City Girl especially.

splattermac

Art Brut eh? don't know if you caught this when I posted it first time around.

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/3voor12/groups/index.jsp?groups=19723182

Click on the little film icon for the video :)

They are playing the roadhouse soon if you fancy a pint, £6 I think. I reckon they will be shit but fun.

19/02/2005

mayer

Unless I get dragged to London, I shall be there, and I believe I actually owe you a pint y'know...

If I can't make that, I'll let you know, and insist on meeting for a drink soon.

imitationleather

I really enjoyed Art Brut the first couple of times I saw them live, but then this summer (when I saw them supporting the Happy Mondays) they had loads of really crap new songs. I think it's because they started off as a fun rock band with short, sharp songs that touched upon modern culture but now they've decided that's all they're about and so every song is about the same thing. It's getting a bit dull and pretentious, really.

"I know, let's write a song about losing your Top Shop loyalty card!"
"Didn't we already do that one?"
"No, that was about sending text messages in Top Shop..."
"Ah. Good idea!"

mayer

I've not heard any of their new stuff, or seen them live yet for that matter, but you're clearly just young and fickle..

The album; Modern Life Is Topshop, will be brilliant.

Borboski

Can you tell us what you think of the Bright Eyes double?

And what new Mogwai album?  Happy People was only last year wasn't it?  I quite like that actually - yes it's pretty formulaic in terms of quiet-quiet-quiet add layers loooUUDD but then that's what they do itsn't it? Er is it the BBC sessions?

Neville Chamberlain

With a bit of luck, them Cardiacs will be releasing a new album this year too! If Faster Than Snakes... is anything to go by, it could be their best yet.

Like I said though: with a bit of luck.

Fuckwittio

Still waiting for this to come in the post:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/f/fiery-furnaces/ep.shtml

Amazing band, but surprisingly one that many critics and fans have a hard time warming to. Two amazing LPs in less than a year and now this (and another two LPs by the summer)...they're spoiling me.

Who wants to see a short clip of them on a kid's show explaining, through the medium of punk-funk, the difference between mice and mooses? Ahh, go on...

http://www.pancakemountain.com/fieryf.html
(Requires Quick Time)

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "Borboski"Er is it the BBC sessions?

Correct.

QuoteGovernment Commissions (BBC Sessions 1996-2003)' collects material from the post-rock Scots' sessions for Radio 1's John Peel and Evening Session shows. It is released on February 21.

The band's mainman Stuart Braithwaite said: "The reason we're putting out this collection is simple, the recordings here are worth hearing. Some are definitely better than the official recordings. Some are sketchy but to be honest so are we. Sketchy but nice. Nicely sketchy."

The tracklisting is:

'Hunted by A Freak' (recorded at Maida Vale 21st May 2003)
'R U Still in 2 It' (recorded at the Hippodrome 22nd December 1996)
'New Paths to Helicon Part II' (recorded at Maida Vale 20th January 1998)
'Kappa' (recorded at Maida Vale 23rd August 1998)
'Cody' (recorded Maida Vale 23rd August 1998)
'Like Herod' (recorded Maida Vale 28th October 1997)
'Secret Pint' (recorded at Maida Vale 10th April 2001)
'Superheroes of BMX' (recorded at the Hippodrome 22nd December 1996)
'New Paths to Helicon Part I' (recorded at Maida Vale 20th January 1998)
'Stop Coming to My House' (recorded at Maida Vale 21st May 2003)

I don't know how bothered about this I am to be prefectly honest. I haven't listened to them in aaages and, as you said HSFHP was really quite formulaic in places.

Spiteface

Re: MBV,

Wasn't it that the rumour was that MBV minus Debbie Googe, had got back together to finish off outtakes from what became the "Glider" EP? The reformation turned out to be false, but Kevin Shields has been working on the Glide routtakes for release in these long-promised boxsets

http://www.mybloodyvalentine.net/news/boxset.html

Interestingly though, Shields has sad an MBV reunion could still happen one day.

swinny

Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"A new Scream album? Ace. Has there been any word on how it's going to sound?

My guess is a more garagey-rock direction...They played some new song called "punk song" or something at V this year that was certainly heading in that direction - as was the overall sound. A whole album of Accelerator style scuzz? Yes Please!

Also hoping we'll hear something new from David Holmes this year (either himself or the Free Association)...Ocean's 12 soundtrack is ace, but its just not the same!

Rubella

Could anyone please point me in the direction of some Mogwai downloads?  Preferably from The Young Team.

I haven't got Soulseek or Kazaa :(

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Well, there are some live downloads from thei rofficial site to get you started if that's any help although that doesn't have any tracks from Young Team, sorry.

http://www.mogwai.co.uk/audio.html

NattyDread

Quote from: "Fuckwittio"Still waiting for this to come in the post:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/f/fiery-furnaces/ep.shtml

Amazing band, but surprisingly one that many critics and fans have a hard time warming to. Two amazing LPs in less than a year and now this (and another two LPs by the summer)...they're spoiling me.

Great news! I had no idea about this. Blueberry boat was a highlight of the year for me.

I've heard the new Wedding Present album is a bit special. Here's hoping.

Peking O

Never meet your heroes, part 937.

Mentioning no names, Kevin Shields has spent an inordinate amount of time and (other people's) money producing an album for some friends of mine over the last year and a bit. True to form, he almost sent their label under, and thoroughly ripped off the band by not turning up for sessions but still charging them studio time and so on. They're putting a brave face on it for the press, as having a Shields-produced album is obviously a strong hook to promote an album on. Ah well.

Regular John

A new Queens of the Stone Age album "Lullabies To Paralyze" on March 21st!

Fuckwittio

Quote from: "NattyDread"

Great news! I had no idea about this. Blueberry boat was a highlight of the year for me.

I'm glad someone else liked it. They'll all be singing it's praises ten years from now.

This EP sounds great. I already know most of the tracks from B-sides, single-only releases etc. If you ain't heard 'Smelling Cigarettes' yet, you're in for a treat. I'd imagine it works quite well as an album, sounds like it falls somewhere between the first and second LPs. Pre-ordered mine from Insound cos it came out in the States on Monday, but won't be out here for two weeks. Desperately hoping that it's waiting for me when I come home this evening.

More importantly though, did you check out the moose video?

rjd2

Quote from: "Regular John"A new Queens of the Stone Age album "Lullabies To Paralyze" on March 21st!

I hear its going to be a double CD also.

Lumiere

I cannae wait for new releases by Radiohead, QOTSA, NIN and TOOL.

monkhouse terror

These dudes british sea power and these other dudes elbow. You can say what you like about british sea power (although I do rather like them) but I'll be damned if anyone insults my elbow.

Elbow is a poo man's Doves. Even if the new doves tune is crap.

Mohammed Steel

I looked up the meaning to this word,
Dirge;

a song or hymn of mourning composed or performed as a memorial to a dead person.

Remind you of Elbow at all?

monkhouse terror

Quote from: "Mohammed Steel"I only like my Tweenies 'Best Friends Forever' CD

Quote from: "Claude the Lion Tamer"whiney whiney whine comparison to doves whine

Well my extremely witty "quoting" technique showed you two! I HOPE I don't have to use it again.

Say what you want about me, but Mohammed will probably music your head off for that.