Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:23:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

2005 LPs...

Started by mayer, January 14, 2005, 01:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohammed Steel

Nah its ok, he's a poor misgiuded fool.......I think that's a lyric from that other pap band Star Sailor,

Remember kids, Its got to be FUNKY.

Now I'm off to listen to my Tweenies cover  Senor Coconut album.

RHX

Anyone else looking forward to the new System Of A Down albums this year? I've just had the pleasure of hearing the new song "Cigaro" that has hit the net, and it seems they are returning to their original heavy sound as opposed to the "mellower" Steal This Album sound. That is a good thing.

NattyDread

Quote from: "Fuckwittio"

More importantly though, did you check out the moose video?

I'll need to install quicktime to do so. Sounds too good to miss though, so I shall.

Goldentony

i really fucking hope that new Guns n Roses album surfaces this year somehow. previous years ive really not been arsed about it not showing up but its doing my fucking head in now, really.

Lumiere

Seconded. Yes, Axl, you have some OK-Good LPs under your name, and a fucking masterpiece. Now, follow up on the promise you made more than TEN YEARS AGO and release a new record.

Prick.

Doctor Stamen

Quote from: "swinny"My guess is a more garagey-rock direction...They played some new song called "punk song" or something at V this year that was certainly heading in that direction - as was the overall sound. A whole album of Accelerator style scuzz? Yes Please!

I fucking *love* Accelerator (I even got Mani to finish one of his dj sets with it in Brighton last year) but i'm not sure a whole album of it would be all that good.  That's what they should have done after XTRMNTR, a 30-minute punk rock album, but the time has passed.  There's an mp3 of one of the new tunes (live version, obviously) on one of the Scream sites, possibly Webadelica, but it doesn't sound all that promising to me.

Ciarán2

Saint Etienne "Tales From Turnpike House", springing out in the spring.

http://www.saintetienne.com

Well I'm excited...

BetaKarraTene

This is the most bonkers start of the year in terms of albums released that I can remember. There's about 10 high profile records out in the last 2 weeks in January alone, and then there are some huge albums coming out in March.

Quote from: "mayer"Kaiser Chiefs
The album has to be good or else I'll never like anything ever. On a similar note, potentially there could be a Super Furriy Animals album depending on how long Gruff's solo thing takes.

Quote from: "Regular John"A new Queens of the Stone Age album "Lullabies To Paralyze" on March 21st!
Is Nick Oliveri back then or is it just Josh on his own?

Others I'm looking forward to that haven't been mentioned

The Bravery - Been listening to some demo mp3s and I've been very impressed. Much more dancey than I expected and they certainly like their synths. Hopefully they can better The Killers by having an album that's great all the way through.

The Coral - I'm one of the few people here who a) like them and b) thought Magic And Medicine was better than their debut. They've got thingy from Portishead producing so it could be something completely unexpected...

Feeder - Pushing The Senses
One I've actually listened to. It sounds like they're building things back up after what happened and (whilst it's the complete opposite to Polythene in terms of sound) there's some really strong stuff here.

Also, Cooper Temple Clause, Nine Black Alps, The Longcut, Coldplay, Delays, Roots Manuva, Weezer, Silver Sun and Magic Numbers should be interesting if nothing else.

To show what a crazy start to the year it is, the new Stereophonics single is actually rather good.

Jet Set Willy

Hey I really like Doves' new single actually.

pretty dead boy

it's well exciting to see that there's a bit of a buzz about the scream around here.  alan mcgee said a while ago that people have forgotten how good primal scream are, which is a fantastic quote.  no-one gave it a chance but i can honestly put evil heat up against vanishing point or screamadelica; i defy anyone to listen to deep hit of morning sun or a scanner darkly on headphones and not love it.

as for the new one.  they were in and out of the studio a year ago to start playing around with ideas with andy weatherall.  i don't think much came from that, but scream albums always take a year or two to make, which is a good thing, judging from the results.  they've recorded nine songs, as of a few weeks ago, for the new one.  kevin's still on board (although i'm not sure of his involvement in the lp - i assume he's still producing and playing guitar), he just missed a few gigs while he remastered valentines eps for a 2cd set that we'll se sometime.  to redress the balance of (a beat-ups fan's?) kevin-bashing, i ever-so-briefly spoke to kevin once and thought he was lovely; others have reported the same thing, that he's lovely and doesn't mind discussing loveless with wiry indie whippets.  i like the lost in translation stuff, which should be treated as what it is - a film score, not standalone music.  kev called city girl 'average and vulnerable' and won't release anything unless it's as good as loveless.  and the beat-ups are just a little leather jacket band to me, albeit one with fantastically-engineered, violent-sounding guitars ...

they played two new ones at a gig in brixton at the end of last year; 'alright' or 'scissor sally and johnny guitar' (or even suicide sally), and '99th floor', both of which were great.  it's a bit hard to guess as to the sound of the lp because what they play isn't usually indicative of how it'll turn out - ie, bomb the pentagon/rise, dresden/detroit, sick city/city and doors/the lord is my shotgun before evil heat, all of which changed drastically when they recorded them.

QuoteHey I really like Doves' new single actually.

did anyone go and see them, anywhere?

a friend was enthusing about something that they played, and said the single was a low-point, which is good news.

and ... a 2005 highlight: love are touring with johnny echols![/quote]

Lumiere

Quote from: "BetaKarraTene"

Josh on his own. Wasn't too impressed by their new single.

chand

There's gonna be loads of great stuff this year, but just in the near future:

Hood - 'Outside Closer' (17th January)
Roots Manuva - 'Awfully Deep' (31st January)
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - 'Worlds Apart' (31st January)
Sage Francis - 'A Healthy Distrust' (7th February)
Dälek - 'Absence' (8th February)
Boom Bip - 'Blue Eyed In The Red Room' (February)
Sole - 'Live From Rome' (7th March) (not actually a live album)
Out Hud - 'Let Us Never Speak of It Again' (21st March)

Spiteface

Billy Corgan should have some new solo product this year, an acoustic DVD (consisting of "Songs about Chicago" or something, it's might have a few Djali Zwan tunes on it so it should be good), and a proper "Rock" album is also expected.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Talk of new Doves material has got me listening to their first two albums. I really hope the new single isn't representative of the rest of the album because at their best, they have a way with a tune that cruddy bastards like Keane, Starsailor and Coldplay would kill for. If they all weren't so fucking wet.

Mohammed Steel

Get the 'Lost Sides' album, a collection of b sides and rare tracks by the Doves.

Ciarán2

What I like about the first Doves' album is how they sound like a "dance act" (remember that turn of phrase?) trying their hand at an indie guitarry record. I mean it sounds like a dance album, reminds me a bit of The Beloved - just it's atmosphere or something, full of peaks and troughs, repetetive bits, surges..."Rise" is good example of that, it sounds indebted to E.

They were the band at Sarah Cracknell's wedding!

BetaKarraTene

If anything, the new Doves single sounds like a re-write of There Goes The Fear. I'm hoping the album's better although I'm avoiding their tour after their dull showing last time I saw them.

mayer

Quote from: "Ciarán"What I like about the first Doves' album is how they sound like a "dance act" (remember that turn of phrase?) trying their hand at an indie guitarry record.

Well, they were, weren't they? Ain't No Love, Ain't No Use and This Time I'm Not Wrong were hardly Cast-sounding songs.

Ciarán2

Quote from: "mayer"
Quote from: "Ciarán"What I like about the first Doves' album is how they sound like a "dance act" (remember that turn of phrase?) trying their hand at an indie guitarry record.

Well, they were, weren't they? Ain't No Love, Ain't No Use and This Time I'm Not Wrong were hardly Cast-sounding songs.

That's what I was trying to get at in my clumsy way. They were Sub Sub and it shows, which is good.

mayer

Quote from: "Ciarán"
That's what I was trying to get at in my clumsy way. They were Sub Sub and it shows, which is good.

Cool, I wasn't sure if that's what you were getting at or if you were being weird. My mistake!

mikeyg27

Quote from: "Lumiere"
Quote from: "BetaKarraTene"

Josh on his own. Wasn't too impressed by their new single.

Hmmm. Jury's out for me.  I'm going to be optimistic and say it'll hold together on the album.

Incidentally, does anyone know if they're touring soon for the album? On their site it makes noises about them touring Europe in February, but I think that we're awfully close to Feb, and I don't see details anywhere. I'm going to have to go back to London to see them, aren't I? Bah!

Benway

Venetian Snares:   ROSSZ CSILLAG ALATT SZÜLETETT (March), plus another LP out later in the year

http://www.planet-mu.com/ziq111.html

QuoteOSSZ CSILLAG ALATT SZÜLETETT

MMM. Sounds delicious doesn't it? Can hardly wait!

rjd2

I suppose we should give up an Guns And Roses new album then? I suspect that Axl being the oddball that he is will never release anything again, its a shame as some of the tracks that leaked form Chinese Democracy were decent.

P.S Without Axl Slash is nothing.

chand

Quote from: "chand"Sage Francis - 'A Healthy Distrust' (7th February)

Single from that is out today, it's an intriguing collaboration with yer man Will Oldham. Make up your own zeitgeist-grabbing genre name.

Sage Francis feat. Will Oldham - 'Sea Lion'

lazyhour

Quote from: "chand"

Single from that is out today, it's an intriguing collaboration with yer man Will Oldham. Make up your own zeitgeist-grabbing genre name.

Wow, bloody hell, I wasn't aware of this at all, and I bow down at the altar of Oldham!  Thanks so much, chand.

non capisco

Sage Francis does have the capacity to constantly surprise. He's extremely adept at cut-to-the-quick polemics, playful battle rhyming/freestyling, wordplay and more obtuse freeform stuff. The guy makes my fucking brain dance, and I can't wait to get my filthy mitts on the new album.

chand

Quote from: "lazyhour"
Quote from: "chand"

Wow, bloody hell, I wasn't aware of this at all, and I bow down at the altar of Oldham!  Thanks so much, chand.

Heh, being a Will Oldham completist must be a pain in the arse.

chand

Quote from: "non capisco"Sage Francis does have the capacity to constantly surprise. He's extremely adept at cut-to-the-quick polemics, playful battle rhyming/freestyling, wordplay and more obtuse freeform stuff. The guy makes my fucking brain dance, and I can't wait to get my filthy mitts on the new album.

Yeah, his new album is great from the couple of listens I've given it. He surprises me too, 'Personal Journals' should have been massive among disenchanted teens, I half-expected his lyrics to pop up in people's signatures and MSN screennames cos he nailed some painful things better than a million shitty emo/goth bands. But then he came back with the Non Prophets record, which had some astounding battle rhymes on it and oozed love for hip-hop.

rjd2

The Sage album leaked months ago so you should be able to get it on Soulseek.  I hear that Dance Monkey is going to be the next single.
Oh yeah the Roots Manuva album is out this week or next.