Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:33:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2005 LPs...

Started by mayer, January 14, 2005, 01:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

No need for locks!  As I say, people are obviously enjoying it, I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same about it being inaccessible.  

QuoteI think (broad) genre threads is a grand idea, or artist-specific threads if they're likely to get a lot of attention (like the Moz, Kate Bush ones)..

Yeah.  Personally I'd also like lots of threads that aren't going to get a lot of attention.

rjd2

I'm sure it has being mentioned here somewhere but I can't find any discussion of it. What do most people make of the My Morning Jacket album? I have not got a chance to listen to it but I see it looks like its going to be a contender for most best of 2005 alternative lists.

Slightly related to the genre thread idea. I started a surprisingly successful music thread about all forms of Hip Hop which I could bump now and again if necessary. In fact I'll probably have to bump it for my pne personal interest before t the end of the year.

Rolf Harris

One Way Ticket To Hell... And Back - The Darkness

Anyone else here even vaguely interested in this lot? I realise they're hated quite venomously by a lot of people, but I still love 'em.

Took me a few listens to get into this new album, I wasn't immediately blown away. But after a while, it grew on me. I think it sounds quite different in many ways to the first album, they seem to be referencing a lot more 80s bands than on the debut. The last track, for example, is total Queen (I know people always said this about them, but as far as I could see it was only Mr Hawkins' voice, however this whole song sounds incredibly Queen-ish).

Any other thoughts?

Nuts 'n Gum

I really like the my morning Jacket album, one of my faves for this year. Amazingly, despite being album of the week in NME, it failed to reach their top 50 albums (see discussion on the other thread).

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "Rolf Harris"One Way Ticket To Hell... And Back
I have no love for The Darkness, but I just wanted to say that they really fucked that gag up by putting the dot dot dot in.

Quote from: "Rolf Harris"One Way Ticket To Hell... And Back - The Darkness

Anyone else here even vaguely interested in this lot? I realise they're hated quite venomously by a lot of people, but I still love 'em.

Any other thoughts?

One of my favourite (paraphrased) quotes came from Record Collector last year when they referred to them as 'a rubbish tribute to early Queen for the deaf'.

The only thing I've always really hated (moreso than the band thmselves) is the amount of young people who think they're great.  I could play those same fans 'Queen II' or a Tygers Of Pan Tang LP and they'd most likely ask me 'what is this old shite?'

Rolf Harris

Quote from: "trotsky assortment"The only thing I've always really hated (moreso than the band thmselves) is the amount of young people who think they're great.  I could play those same fans 'Queen II' or a Tygers Of Pan Tang LP and they'd most likely ask me 'what is this old shite?'

Is that a dig or just a general comment?

I'm in my mid-twenties, so presume I don't fall into the category you mean by "young" (I'm guessing you're referring more to late teens?). I'm also a big Queen fan - and was long before the Darkness arrived, so I didn't "discover" Queen through the Darkness.

Don't know who Tygers of Pan Tang are though.

Ciarán2

Just want to say that this thread has been superb, and I for one would like to see a 2006 version which follows its lead and doesn't just stick to genres. I might not be inclined to dip into a New Country thread or whatever, and I'd miss out. It's great to see discussion on such a wide range of theings all together in one big heap, so long may it continue.

On Broadcast, Neil, I wonder if you're a fan of The United States Of America? (I think you are, maybe you've mentioned them before). If so, I think you'd like "Work and Non Work" by Broadcast, which for me is their joint best album (along with 2003's "Ha Ha Sound"). It is a bit more sixties-ish than the new one. A problem I have with the new one is it sounding to Warp-y. I'm not really into the drum machines they use on it. Their early singles (collected on "Work and Non Work") had nice jazzy drums and odd time signatures. There was less of the farty keyboard bloops which can get a little dull on their later records. I remember getting into Broadcast because of something Taylor Parkes wrote about them. He said something like "they sound like the last signals recieved by a trawler's radio as it drifts in the Baltic in the middle of night". Anyway, whatever way he put it, he hit the nail on the head. Broadcast sounded like no-one else really (except perhaps United States of America or Young Marble Giants). They got lumped in a bit with post-rock, but I don't know, they're the prettiest of that lot, I'd say. Those first records are full of harpsichords and theremins and wurlitzer organs, I'm thinking chiefly of "We've Got Time", the beautiful "Accidentals" (one of the most bewitching things I've ever heard - I could write an essay on that song alone), "Message From Home", "The Book Lovers"...they're like pop songs really. "Work and Non Work" is a great, neglected, classic record. Like a "Scott 4" of the 90s.

lazyhour

Were they not very very influenced by acts like Stereolab and Pram from the outset, though?  I remember listening to some early Broadcast singles and thinking "But we've already got a Stereolab...."  Maybe I was out of line.   It was so long ago now.

Christ, it's dark today.

Ciarán2

Quote from: "lazyhour"Were they not very very influenced by acts like Stereolab and Pram from the outset, though?  I remember listening to some early Broadcast singles and thinking "But we've already got a Stereolab...."  Maybe I was out of line.   It was so long ago now.

Christ, it's dark today.

Hello! I don't think Broadcast sound like Stereolab at all. I think Stereolab are bandied about a lot as an influence, but I can't really think of any band I could confuse for Stereolab (except, at a push, The High Llamas). As for Pram, well, I think Broadcast's sound is much more gentle than that of Pram's. When you listen to Pram you're always hyper-conscious that you're listening to something which is very left-field, aren't you? Pram are a bit more...difficult, I would say. Of course they're from Birmingham too, aren't they? There are different Stereolabs too aren't there. There's on which sounds like NEU!, there's their The Velvet Underground, thier bossa-nova tinged things, their string arrangements, their spacey acid rock...but I can't really think of anything by them that sounds like early Broadcast. But yes, I think they got lumped in together a bit.

Neil

Maybe we should put it to the vote then?  I'm trying to think of a compromise.

Quote from: "Ciarán"On Broadcast, Neil, I wonder if you're a fan of The United States Of America?

Ha, yes!  I adore them.  I did actually say on the previous page that the new album puts me in mind of them at times, I think one of the main things is the way the lady sings.  Know what I mean?  I really appreciate the recommendations there Ciarán, much obliged.  I'm definitely interested in checking them out more thoroughly because of tunes like Black Cat, I really didn't think there were too many bands around today that were influenced by really fucking great music like The United States Of America.  I have heard some of their stuff in the past, but it would have been around the time that We Are Reasonable People compilation came out.  Not too long after that I got bored with contemporary electronica because it rarely connects with me in the same way guitars and stuff do.  I did start dipping in again earlier this year though.

Quote from: "Rolf Harris"
Quote from: "trotsky assortment"The only thing I've always really hated (moreso than the band thmselves) is the amount of young people who think they're great.  I could play those same fans 'Queen II' or a Tygers Of Pan Tang LP and they'd most likely ask me 'what is this old shite?'

Is that a dig or just a general comment?

I'm in my mid-twenties, so presume I don't fall into the category you mean by "young" (I'm guessing you're referring more to late teens?).

Not meant as a dig at you personally, no...nor 90% of this board, I expect.  It was my general feeling about the hoardes of 17 year olds I'd seen at festivals over the past couple of years, getting excited about The Darkness.  Most of them had that air about them that they thought The Darkness were cool because they'd been told so repeatedly.  Most of the band's influences would have meant nothing.

*I'm also biased since the only two or three Darkness fans I know personally are complete idiots with big mouths.  I'll shut up now.  [/and breathe]

Ciarán2

Quote from: "Neil"Maybe we should put it to the vote then?  I'm trying to think of a compromise.

Quote from: "Ciarán"On Broadcast, Neil, I wonder if you're a fan of The United States Of America?

Ha, yes!  I adore them.  I did actually say on the previous page that the new album puts me in mind of them at times, I think one of the main things is the way the lady sings.  Know what I mean?

Of course you mentioned them, that was a bit mad of me, like I'd half read your message. Yes, The United States Of America are wonderful, Broadcast sound quite like the first track on that USA album ("The American Metaphysical Circus"). It is the singer, I think. I also find Trsh Keenan of Broadcast sounds like Alison Statton of Young Marble Giants and Weekend. So you might like them, particularly the former. I have to learn to post tracks on the internet...I'd post lots if I knew...ho hum.

imitationleather

A bit late to this party...

Personally I think this thread is great for find out about new music and if it was done in genres I probably wouldn't look into ones I didn't like. Also, wouldn't they not be about exclusively new music? I'm not some "pre-2006 is shit" fascist, but it's nice to have a thread you can dip into and find something completely new in a genre you normally never listen to. I reckon that'd be lost if there wasn't a massive 2006 LPs thread. Anyway, there's my two penneth.

As for Broadcast, I agree with Ciarán completely. I got their stuff after Peking O recommended them and I've listened to Work and Non-Work over and over and over. We've Got Time is probably my favourite track, although unfortunately everyone I've played it to has been rather unimpressed. The fools!

Rubbish Monkey

This should be in a 2006 thread but the new one from The Liars - Drum's Not Dead is good. Perhaps my favourite Liars CD so far. As the title suggests, many of the tracks have rhythmic and tribal type drumming throughout. It gets both my thumbs going upwards.

Oops I should of read above there and waited for a new thread. bah!

Ciarán2

I got The Go! Team album and am thoroughly enjoying it. Have played it right through 6 times in a week, not bad going. I'll type more at some point, but yes thumbs up!

splattermac

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"This should be in a 2006 thread but the new one from The Liars - Drum's Not Dead is good. Perhaps my favourite Liars CD so far. As the title suggests, many of the tracks have rhythmic and tribal type drumming throughout. It gets both my thumbs going upwards.

Last night I was listening to the Mogwai and Liars leaks and then this morning I see both get a mention. So tomorrow I predict an eventual mention of the long since leaked 2006 Cat Power LP. What do yous ones make of that?

No more room on the broom for the Liars it appears. This new one has copycat moments of things like - Terrestrial Tones, Black Dice, animal collective (all three of those being related), Sunburned hand of the man and label output like the Jeweled Antler collective, Jagjaguwar and locust music. Then you have melodic vocal bits where I'm thinking Gregorian Beta Band.  Liking it more with each listen and although it's nice, the sign off track is too pleasant to be on the album.
'The Other Side of Mt. Heart Attack'

'To hold you, drum' is great :)

Rubbish Monkey

I really like Lou Rhodes' solo effort.. (the singer lady from Lamb). Its really nice.

Temble.mp3 off Beloved One

My local HMV dont have it. Tasteless cunts.

/fanboy