Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:22:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2005 LPs...

Started by mayer, January 14, 2005, 01:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peet

Greatly looking forward to new Beck and Kate Bush, and mildly anticipating the new albums by The Books (out in April) and Lemon Jelly (out a week on Monday). There's a few LJ bits and bobs here including a trailer for the new DVD. I haven't really heard about anything else, where do people look to find out about upcoming releases?

mayer

The Morrissey live CD (and DVD)

Apparently the CD, still titled Live at Earls Court will have tracks from five shows at the end of last year (er, only one of them at Earl's Court confusingly).

Even though I was at the EC show, i'm pleased by that, I'd rather have a fantastic Live LP than a "memento of the evening", because there were one or two dodgy tracks that night.

Live LPs from more than one gig used to annoy the hell out me, I suppose i'm not bothered because I'll be ripping the audio from the better MEN gig anyway.

chand

Quote from: "rjd2"Oh yeah the Roots Manuva album is out this week or next.

31st, I think, which is a week on Monday. The single 'Colossal Insight' is out now though, which I like a whole lot.

Roots Manuva - 'Colossal Insight' video (6.3mb)

swinny

I'm almost certain I saw an advert for an M83 gig in the back of the NME a month or so back that also said there was a new album coming out early 2005...buggered if I can find anything else about it though.

Oh...Monday!

Dirty Boy

Only one i'm really aware is due out soon is the new Foetus record that has been put back and put back.Mr Thirlwell can be very erratic for sure, but  i generally come round to his psychotic blend of spy themes and hard industrial pounding rythms after a while.

New Beck and Cardiacs sounds good too and i hope the Wildhearts get their arse into gear to record another album as rumoured.Hopefully it'll be more like their early stuff.I wasn't really that into '...Must Be Destroyed'

Deadman97

The NIN album has a release date at last- May 2nd. Album. Of. The. Year.

Also, London dates have gone up on nin.com. Any whores going? I know I'll be there.

splattermac

there's a leak of the *new* Beck album knocking about, has anyone had a listen to it yet?

http://chipsandcookies.blogspot.com/ were advertising it earlier but the link is timing out for me, apart from that it's on soulseek.

Pitchfork also have a few words about the first single off it here - http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/tracks/05-01-20.shtml

falafel

Oh wow, the new Bright Eyes albums are both incredible. I'd never heard of him 'till Glastonbury last year, and now I'm hooked. It was the harpist that got me, to be honest. But this new stuff really is fantastic. Particularly Digital Ash in a Digital Urn. Out Monday.

(as linked on the Luisterpal thread... go listen. Now!)

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "falafel"Oh wow, the new Bright Eyes albums are both incredible. I'd never heard of him 'till Glastonbury last year, and now I'm hooked. It was the harpist that got me, to be honest. But this new stuff really is fantastic. Particularly Digital Ash in a Digital Urn. Out Monday.

(as linked on the Luisterpal thread... go listen. Now!)

Good god, really? I listened to these the other day and I couldn't have fallen asleep fast enough. They both really lacked something. Have you heard any of his other albums?

falafel

I haven't, no. Just what he played at Glastonbury. I don't know, maybe it's because Digital Ash... in particular is just the sort of thing I'm into right now, but I'm going to have to buy both of these judging by my first few listens.

Is his other sutff better? ('Yes, of course,' you inevitably reply...)

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Haha, well..yeah. "Letting off the Happiness" is my personal favourite to be honest. Although "Fevers and Mirrors" is great too so I'd recommend a download of both of those, just to test the water though as they aren't at all electronic-based. I am surprised that I didn't like the new albums though, considering I liked the last album he did (the awfully titled "Lifted or the Story is in The Soil Keep Your Ears to the Ground" or whatever it was) which a lot of his fans seemed to hate as it  had quite a horribly false sounding lo-fi-done-very-commercially sound to it (and it really did) .

But then again, I was in the Quilted Llama last Saturday, so my judgment isn't exactly watertight  ;)

splattermac

I dedicated a topic to him once upon a time on the old boards, I'd love to know what I wrote about him at the time because I was totally smitten with 'Lifted'. A bit like a first love really, nothing of his since has had the same effect on me. It was my introduction to his work and I played it to death and read all the online blurb about him. I just took an interest in the guy, he was young and raw and full of words, bursting at the seams and grumbling and muttering. I kept thinking it's Dylan, it's a modern Dylan, but unhinged. I wanted to know where these songs had come from because they filled my head with wonderful romantic imagery, bleak dustbowl America, miles of endless roads meeting in the middle of nowhere, as I said, bleak. God knows where my head was at the time but it definitely plugged a hole.

I wasn't one of those slating his lo-fi stylings, I have no problem with lo-fi, in fact it's one of my favourite environments. I have very little recall as to what I read and how he was received by the music press, I think this was back in 2002 so it's all dim and distant now.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "splattermac"I I wasn't one of those slating his lo-fi stylings, I have no problem with lo-fi, in fact it's one of my favourite environments.

Sorry, the point I was trying to make was that "Lifted" tried to capture the lo-fi feeling of the older albums, but failed somehow; I think this is what the fans didn't like about it.

I can see their point in that he's obviously a long way from recording on 4 tracks in his friend's apartments -  playing on Letterman, hollywood girlfriend and all, but there were still some bloody great tracks on Lifted, and that's what these fans seemed to have overlooked.

I'm only really going on what I read on forums anyway so I doubt it's even representativey of opinions on 'Lifted' as a whole really.

splattermac

Quote from: "myself"there's a leak of the *new* Beck album knocking about, has anyone had a listen to it yet?

Pitchfork also have a few words about the first single off it here - http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/tracks/05-01-20.shtml

new single for your evaluation, right clicksaveas

Sounds like Beck and I like it, is it strong enough to be a single though?

re Bright Eyes, will have to get back to you on that when I'm not in work.

but speaking of lo-fi offerings, I was about to remove my Kimya Dawson sampler, but if anyone wants a listen then each letter hides a song, here It'll be gone by the weekend.

lazyhour

I've had a listen to the new Beck album, and it's much better than the drab 'n' dreary Sea Change, but it's a shame it couldn't have been another bridge-burning reinvention.  Instead it's a pleasant retread, I feel.  Some great tracks, though, and fans of Odelay & Mellow Gold will be pretty happy.  

My favourite Beck albums are Midnite Vultures, Odelay and One Foot in The Grave, and this doesn't look like it will match any of them, really.  Still FUCKING nice to have funkin' rockin' Beck back.  Hooray!

chand

I've just become aware of a couple more albums coming out this year that I at least will look forward to, including this:

QuoteBlackalicious has also been hard at work rounding out their new album The Craft which will also be in stores this year.

and a guy in a record store told me there'll be a new Stars Of The Lid. Just picked up a promo of the new Daedelus album too, haven't listened to it yet but the press release sounds interesting, MF Doom's on it, Prefuse 73 does some work and Mike Ladd's there.

Mohammed Steel

Anyone know if Lyrics Born is releasing any new stuff, hearing the Blackalicious thing got me to thinking about him.

chand

Quote from: "Mohammed Steel"Anyone know if Lyrics Born is releasing any new stuff, hearing the Blackalicious thing got me to thinking about him.

Well, from the same email I got that in, there's a 'Later That Day' remix album just been finished, coming out in the spring. It's called 'Same !@#$ Different Day'.

QuoteThe album contains 8 remixes and five new tracks with heavy hitters like Dan the Automator, KRS-One, Evidence, Morcheeba, DJ Shadow, Chief Xcel and Jumbo. It's a heater people. A heater.

I heard some track he did with Morcheeba once a while back, and I think it was quite good. Though I was slightly torn between my love of Lyrics Born and my possibly irrational hatred of Morcheeba. 'Later That Day' was out in 2003, six years after the Latyrx record, so I wouldn't expect another full Lyrics Born album proper for a while.

chand

Just listening to some CDs I got yesterday, and I love this:

It's by Tunng and it's called 'This Is...' or 'Mother's Daughter And Other Songs', depending how you look at it, and I found out about it from the useful Boomkat.com mailing list. Anyway, it's a mixture of folk and electronica, which has been done a lot recently but is still great when it's done right. They've been compared in some quarters to early Beta Band, which you can sort of hear in the latter part of this track, which is the opener:

Tunng - 'Mother's Daughter'

splattermac

Saw that on the Piccadilly records mailout and did my usual mooch at it, couldn't get into it all, it did the same to me as the new Hood LP did. I'm going mainstream baby, that's where the tunes are these days.

Speaking of which, I'm gagging for new Yeah Yeah Yeahs stuff, does anyone have the live recordings of the two new tracks they played in November, on board and honey bear?

and I really want to hear a studio version of Cheated Hearts as I think it shares the lovely melancholy of Maps and Modern Romance.

gimmie gimmie

peet

Eels have a new album out on April 26th titled Blinking Lights And Other Revelations, it's a 33-track double whopper. Here's hoping it's a slight return to the sublime form of Electro-Shock Blues/Daisies Of The Galaxy after their rather more ho-hum recent stuff.

edit:
QuoteThe follow-up to 2003's 'Shootenanny!' is titled 'Blinking Lights And Other Revelations' and will be released worldwide on April 25 through Universal.

The record features collaborations with the Lovin' Spoonful's John Sebastian, Tom Waits and long-time Eels cohort, REM guitarist Peter Buck.

The full tracklisting is:

Disc 1
'Theme From Blinking Lights'
'From Which I Came/A Magic World'
'Son Of A Bitch'
'Blinking Lights (For Me)'
'Trouble With Dreams'
'Marie Floating Over The Backyard'
'Suicide Life'
'In The Yard, Behind The Church'
'Railroad Man'
'The Other Shoe'
'Last Time We Spoke'
'Mother Mary'
'Going Fetal'
'Understanding Salesmen'
'Theme For A Pretty Girl that Makes You Believe God Exists'
'Checkout Blues'
'Blinking Lights (For You)

Disc 2:
'Dust Of Ages'
'Old Shit/New Shit'
'Bride Of Theme From Blinking Lights
'Hey Man (Now You're Really Living)'
'I'm Going To Stop Pretending That I Didn't Break Your Heart'
'To Lick Your Boots'
'If You See Natalie'
'Sweet Li'l Thing'
'Dusk: A Peach In The Orchard'
'Whatever Happened To Soy Bomb
'Ugly Love'
'God's Silence'
'Losing Streak'
'Last Days Of My Bitter Heart'
'The Stars Shine In The Sky Tonight'
Things The Grandchildren Should Know'

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "mayer"The Morrissey live CD (and DVD)

Apparently the CD, still titled Live at Earls Court will have tracks from five shows at the end of last year (er, only one of them at Earl's Court confusingly).

Even though I was at the EC show, i'm pleased by that, I'd rather have a fantastic Live LP than a "memento of the evening", because there were one or two dodgy tracks that night.

Live LPs from more than one gig used to annoy the hell out me, I suppose i'm not bothered because I'll be ripping the audio from the better MEN gig anyway.

Afraid not old sport:

the tracklisting is on play.com as:

1. HOW SOON IS NOW
2. FIRST OF THE GANG TO DIE
3. NOVERMBER SPAWNED A MONSTER
4. DON'T MAKE FUN OF DADDY'S VOICE
5. BIG MOUTH STRIKES AGAIN
6. I LIKE YOU
7. REDONDO BEACH
8. LET ME KISS YOU
9. MUNICH AIR DISASTER
10. THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT
11. THE MORE YOU IGNORE ME THE CLOSER I GET
12. FRIDAY MORNING
13. I HAVE FORGIVEN JESUS
14. THE WORLD IS FULL OF CRASHING BORES
15. SHOPLIFTERS OF THE WORLD UNITE
16. IRISH BLOOD, ENGLISH HEART
17. YOU KNOW IT COULDN'T LAST
18. LAST NIGHT I DREAM SOMEBODY LOVED ME

which is the exact setlist for the Earl's Court gig, so I'm assuming that it's just a straighforward recording of the Earl's Court gig.

Gamma Ray

Quote from: "Regular John"A new Queens of the Stone Age album "Lullabies To Paralyze" on March 21st!

Aye, there are live acoustic versions of tracks The Long Slow Goodbye and I Never Came (featuring Dave Grohl) at this site. It sounds good to me, but then it would.

You might be interested to hear that desert rock legends Yawning Man have a couple of long players out too - Rock Formations and The Birth Of Sol Music. The former will feature new stuff, the latter will be a double CD featuring their older compositions.

There's a little information about the band and the records here (I've seen the same blurb in a few different places, it must be a press release). In case you didn't know Yawning Man feature Alberto Hernandez (QOTSA, Mondo Generator) and Mario Lalli (Desert Sessions, Fatso Jetson), and are supposed to have influenced Brant Bjork.

It'll be good man, like music should be. Those desert folk don't fuck around.

TraceyQ

The new Electric Six album is fucking awful. Seriously. Dropped in a few weeks I've heard. See you, lads.

imitationleather

Woah, and I thought it was going to be amazing when I saw them cover Radio Ga-Ga on CD:UK! Heh.

Is it even worth me downloading just to see how bad it is?

TraceyQ

I dunno, depends if you fancy pulling a face like you've just sucked a lemon all night after listening to it. I'm still doing it now, look. Oh, you can't.

imitationleather

You know why they've got so bad, don't you? It's because their lead singer has morphed from Chris Morris into Jack Dee.

Who ate all the pies, indeed.

BetaKarraTene

Quote from: "TraceyQ"The new Electric Six album is fucking awful. Seriously. Dropped in a few weeks I've heard. See you, lads.
They were already dropped from XL though weren't they (along with losing 2/3rds of their original line-up)? Ah well, still the first album was ace at least.

Those silly billys The Kills have screwed up by putting their rather sexy video on their homepage which has resulted in them using up all their bandwith! If the album is half as good as their debut then it'll be a treat.

TraceyQ

It's not bad at all, actually. Only managed to give it a couple of listens but I do like what I hear.

rjd2

Quote from: "chand"
Quote from: "rjd2"Oh yeah the Roots Manuva album is out this week or next.

31st, I think, which is a week on Monday. The single 'Colossal Insight' is out now though, which I like a whole lot.

Roots Manuva - 'Colossal Insight' video (6.3mb)

Yeah its a fantastic album just got a chance to listen to it a couple of hours ago. What you think of it yourself?