Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:56:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bond

Started by asids, December 28, 2017, 01:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on November 10, 2020, 11:23:57 AM
Spoiler alert
And it would be easier for the writers to develop a character with similarities to No while using a different name, if only to prevent continuity issues.
[close]
Dr No...Vocal Chords

idunnosomename

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Blumf

Free official Bond (with ads) on Youtube, (and some other streaming sites):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwwhtOnMyjuyEeWvv6UX11aw3jFLFAxU1

Dr Rock

Not-fun fact - Daniel Craig will be the actor who has played Bond for the longest time when No Time To Die is eventually released.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Blumf on December 07, 2020, 03:48:16 PM

Blocked in the UK, so you might as well just shoplift them.

El Unicornio, mang

Generous of them to not include Die Another Day

Blumf

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on December 07, 2020, 03:56:11 PM
Blocked in the UK, so you might as well just shoplift them.

Aw bollocks. Proxy it is then.

Thought I'd be safe if the telly dared not to show me Bond on Christmas day.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 07, 2020, 03:53:32 PM
Not-fun fact - Daniel Craig will be the actor who has played Bond for the longest time when No Time To Die is eventually released.

It's nearly rivalling the Dalton/Brosnan transition for the longest gap between Bond films, would need some serious global fuckery next year to actually get that now though. Hopefully.

kidsick5000

Which country is that for?
I'm region blocked in SE Asia

Blumf

Quote from: kidsick5000 on December 08, 2020, 01:30:11 PM
Which country is that for?
I'm region blocked in SE Asia

Yeah, looks like US, maybe North America, only. Bastards!

frajer

Quote from: Blumf on December 08, 2020, 03:14:43 PM
Yeah, looks like US, maybe North America, only. Bastards!

Americans don't even like Bond, they like trucks and Dr. Pepper.

Blumf

True. This is what American's do when they try Bond:

Horrifying!

Bad Ambassador

Pushed back by another six months to 8 October. More release date postponements than Mark Chapman.

Thomas

At this point, any interviews given by Craig around its release are going to feel like a career retrospective. Roger Moore promoting A View to a Kill from a retirement home.

Bernice

Quote from: Thomas on January 22, 2021, 10:46:19 AM
At this point, any interviews given by Craig around its release are going to feel like a career retrospective. Roger Moore promoting A View to a Kill from a retirement home.

A View to a Kill from a Retirement Home is just the working title.

Custard

It's absolutely pathetic at this point. Just whack it On Demand you cows

popcorn

I think they should put it on ITV.

Blofelds Cat

Arf--ITV on a Wednesday night with a break for News at Ten--heavily edited with any bad language over-dubbed with `melon-farmers`

Bad Ambassador

I think a big problem with putting it online is that different studios are responsible for the US and international distribtuion. The US release is a no-no, but some international markets could take it right now. The imbalance and inability to reach an accord - and neither UA nor Universal having an appropriate streaming service - are probably the main reason its still hanging around, not to mention fears that a streaming release would not recoup the giant budget. Tenet and WW84 had similar budgets and both have effectively flopped.

lipsink

Watching films made just before COVID that were meant to be released in 2020 is kind of a depressing experience. I watched 'Tenet' in an empty cinema and 'WW 1984' at home and it just felt a bit unfulfilling. Like you're imagining what it would be like to see the film in a big packed cinema like it should be.

There's no way they'll make the budget back.

Bazooka

Quote from: lipsink on January 22, 2021, 03:15:05 PM
Watching films made just before COVID that were meant to be released in 2020 is kind of a depressing experience. I watched 'Tenet' in an empty cinema and 'WW 1984' at home and it just felt a bit unfulfilling. Like you're imagining what it would be like to see the film in a big packed cinema like it should be.

I know what you mean, watching this will just remind me of happier days flirting with femme fatales.

Ant Farm Keyboard

They can't do anything but to release it theatrically.

First of all, MGM doesn't own any streaming service (contrary to Disney or Warner), and the rights to the whole Bond catalog aren't tied to a service. Besides, theatrical distribution rights for the new one are split between United Artists in North America (UA is now the name of a joint venture between MGM and Annapurna that distribution activities) and Universal everywhere else.

MGM can't afford to lose money on this one. This is a company that's riddled with debts. Bond is by far their biggest moneymaker and the only film that can wipe $100m or $200m of debt for them. They don't need it to simply break even at the box office, they need it to be a huge hit in theaters to give them more fresh air. Especially as the next one, in four or five years, would star an unproven actor, who may not grant them the same box office as Craig. So, they can't get rid of this one in some form, like Warner or Disney can.

At some point, MGM did approach a few services to offer them the film for $600m. It couldn't work. It would be a one-off for a single very expensive movie. For instance, Netflix is more concerned about retaining their subscribers at this point, people would watch the film once, twice at best just after it would be released, and that would be it. It wouldn't bring much to their current business model. And their competitors may gain a few subscribers for a month or two, and they wouldn't stay on.
Then, EON heard about the negotiations started by MGM and killed them, because it was their right, from the contracts they have with MGM.

And the last major difficulty with Bond is that the box office relies also on older demographics, the ones who are the most likely to stay out of theaters until the pandemic is finished.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on January 23, 2021, 01:20:25 AM

MGM can't afford to lose money on this one. This is a company that's riddled with debts. Bond is by far their biggest moneymaker and the only film that can wipe $100m or $200m of debt for them.

I'm surprised at this, the Bond films always make massive profits. Do they just have a load of other flop films?

idunnosomename