Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,454
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:27:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bond

Started by asids, December 28, 2017, 01:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

The names Bond. Nigel Bond.

machotrouts

If you want an example of the difference an individual can make to how a name is perceived, consider the fact that it's now possible to think "Nigella" is a sexy name.

There are actual people, out there in the world, getting sexually aroused by a woman named "Nigella" without a second thought. "Nigella... yep, that seems like the name of someone it's acceptable to fancy."

Nigella.

bgmnts

Quote from: machotrouts on September 26, 2018, 01:05:47 AM
If you want an example of the difference an individual can make to how a name is perceived, consider the fact that it's now possible to think "Nigella" is a sexy name.

There are actual people, out there in the world, getting sexually aroused by a woman named "Nigella" without a second thought. "Nigella... yep, that seems like the name of someone it's acceptable to fancy."

Nigella.

I think it's because it is so similar to Nutella, which instantly conjures up the image of spreading Nutella all over Nigella.

Kelvin

Quote from: bgmnts on September 26, 2018, 10:18:57 AM
I think it's because it is so similar to Nutella, which instantly conjures up the image of spreading Nutella all over Nigella.

Yes, but it's also very similar to Nigel, which instantly conjures up the image of a man called Nigel being spread for Nigella.

CaledonianGonzo

A specific man called Nigel

Mister Six

mothman

"Making Plans For Nigel," Bond theme candidate: discuss.

greenman

Moore throws evil brother Nigel Bond into a pool of molten metal, "they always said his future was in british steel"

mothman

popcorn

Mister Six

See, I would have thought it was the other way around - Boyle wanting to kill him and the producers saying no.

mothman

Thinking about it some more... why not? While the (possibly disputed) central conceit of the franchise used to be that it was the same person in all those adventures between 1962 and 2002, is the same idea going to fly with a reboot from 2006 in, say, 2046? And we'd heard that the "regeneration" concept was on the table this time, but I also kinda assumed it was Boyle who was pushing it while Broccoli, Wilson & Craig would have been more traditional about the franchise. But now we're hearing that they were the ones who wanted to do it, as part of the ongoing rethink of Bond for the 21st century (or the remaining 80% of it anyway) and Boyle wasn't keen.

I almost feel like I've got some sort of cognitive dissonance about it: if it's Boyle's idea, then it's an exciting and interesting way to reinvigorate the franchise; if he hates the idea, it's because it's a silly gimmick that will overshadow his outing as director. Perhaps it is a reinvention too far. I don't know what to think...

biggytitbo

I don't mind if they kill Sir James Bond off in the film as long as he is still alive at the end of it

Kelvin

You only live thrice, Mr Bond.

Captain Z

My name is Pussy Galore

I must be dreaming

Yes, you are. It was all a dream, because you are dead.

machotrouts

They should have kept his original line, "I know, but what's your name?".

My name is Pussy Galore

I know but what's your name

Bad Ambassador

That doesn't even make sense. It should be:

"Who are you?"
"Pussy Galore."
"And what's your name?"

"I'm Plenty. Plenty O'Toole."

"Named after your father perhaps. My name is Bond. James Bond. Junior. Named after my uncle."

machotrouts

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on October 08, 2018, 11:23:35 AM
That doesn't even make sense.

I apologise... I have brought this thread into disrepute

Dr Rock

'My name is Pussy Galore.'

'Oh we're using our made-up names? I'm Rapey McBitchslapper then.'

"My name is Dick Galore. I was bullied so much at school it turned me mental and evil, Mr Bond."

Mister Six

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on October 08, 2018, 11:23:35 AM
That doesn't even make sense. It should be:

"Who are you?"
"Pussy Galore."
"And what's your name?"

Shurely:

"And you are...?"
"Pussy Galore."

Etc.

popcorn

Since we're moaning about Bond dialogue, I am now going to moan about this again:

GIRL: You shouldn't stare.
BOND: You shouldn't look like that.

It should have been:

GIRL: You shouldn't stare like that.
BOND: You shouldn't look like that.

Then Bond's response is actually witty because it parallels her line properly. For fuck's sake Bond, you could have fucked her if you'd played your cards right.

Blumf

Quote from: popcorn on October 09, 2018, 07:41:12 AM
For fuck's sake Bond, you could have fucked her if you'd played your cards right.

"The name's Bond, Incel Bond"

MI6GTOW

popcorn

Do you think they'll ever make a James Bond film where he gets to have sex?

Kelvin

Quote from: popcorn on October 09, 2018, 01:52:44 PM
Do you think they'll ever make a James Bond film where he gets to have sex?

Funnily enough, I only found out this week that Shigeru Miyamoto asked Rare, creators of the beloved GoldenEye game, if they could remove all the shooting from it.

There's no way that's true. What would be left?

Kelvin

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 09, 2018, 03:29:27 PM
There's no way that's true. What would be left?

Assuming it is true, and I heard it from a games journalists, whatever that's worth, I assume he wanted them to focus on the stealth and avoiding enemies.

Kelvin

It was Game Informer. They were making reference to some of the odd things Miyamoto has recommended over the years. They mentioned him wanting to see Dash Rendar's feet at all times in Shadow of The Empire, too - even though it made shooting harder.