Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:28:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bond

Started by asids, December 28, 2017, 01:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Among Miyamoto's memorable opinions, he thinks Donkey Kong Country is ugly (correct), and said about a car combat game that Retro Studios was working on: "Why would you make that? Why would you put a gun on a car?"

The latter point gets made fun of a lot because why would you let people fire turtle shells and banana peels from go-karts? But I think he was right. Mario, go-karts and banana peels just go together intuitively, somehow, and the Mario Kart franchise has had lasting appeal because of it. Whereas Twisted Metal, you know, you put a gun on a car, that's frankly a bit crap and unappealing conceptually and now no one's ever heard of Twisted Metal.

I think Miyamoto is also cool because he's a bit of an old Japanese grandad who probably never even played video games much even while he was helping invent them, and so his perspectives on stuff - particularly western shooting games - are quite fresh and instructive.

greenman

Suggesting that Arthur in SUper Ghouls and Ghosts wore womens underwear when his armour was knocked off was a bit strange though.

Mister Six

Went looking for the GoldenEye/Miyamoto anecdote and found this in a New Yorker piece instead, which I sort of wish they'd gone with:

QuoteMartin Hollis, a developer of the 1997 James Bond-themed game GoldenEye 007, told me that he once received a fax from Shigeru Miyamoto, the inventor of Super Mario, calling the game "tragic" and "horrible." Miyamoto proposed that, at the end of GoldenEye, players should be forced to shake hands with their victims as they lay recovering in hospital beds. (The idea was never implemented.)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: popcorn on October 09, 2018, 04:06:20 PM
"Why would you make that? Why would you put a gun on a car?"

I'm not even much of a Bond fan and I'm certainly not about to question Miyamoto's track record, but that there is a dumb question.

I reckon Noel Gallagher for the next Bond theme. His music is seen to the unite the British masses, in a way that will be needed even more post Brexit. He has also joked about having a Bond theme that's half written. Centrist dads think he's cool and he'd surely to it.

gilbertharding

Quote from: machotrouts on October 07, 2018, 08:27:45 PM
They should have kept his original line, "I know, but what's your name?".

My name is Pussy Galore

I can see, it's like a fucking bucket. Cross your legs, love.

saltysnacks

In 10 years time maybe?

greenman

Does all seem to be pointing towards a more direct follow on from the existing story but without the Mooreisms of Spectre, as was mentioned it seems likely the falling out between Craig and Danny Boy was probably over the latter wanting to do something more stand alone and gimmicky?

CaledonianGonzo

They're going to fridge her, aren't they.

mothman

Blue with cold is the warmest colour.

popcorn

What about these rumours that Replies From View is in talks to play Bond.

mothman

Quote from: WarholIn the future, everybody will be in talks to be the next Bond.

kidsick5000

Quote from: popcorn on December 07, 2018, 04:27:52 PM
What about these rumours that Replies From View is in talks to play Bond.

Good luck to him. (I've already turned it down)

gatchamandave

...and I'm doing the theme tune since even I can knock up a better one than The Writing's on the Wall.

Even Jack White and Alicia Keys can say that though.

Soup Dogg

Working title is apparently "Shatterhand". Which is like a shit Goldfinger parody. It's being reported as the "production title" but I'm assuming it's the actual title? Normally Bonds are just "Bond 48" until they get christened with their actual release name and become "Shockerflange".

mothman

As has been pointed out (nowhere more so than the Grauniad's predictably moronic article on it), "Shatterhand" is a name used by Blofeld in the original novel of You Only Live Twice.

Jerzy Bondov

Shootface
Burnarm
Crushnob

mothman

"Give it up, Oberhauser, or Blofeld, or whatever your name is today!"
"Aha! Yes, I am no longer Oberhauser OR Blofeld! Now, my name is..."
"Is it another name beginning with S? I mean, seriously, Stavro?"
"... yes, it begins with S... Can you guess it?"
"Francisco Scaramanga?"
"What? No!"
"Herman Spleentrumpet?"
"You're just being silly now. One last chance, Jamess!"
"Vladimir Shamalamadingdong?"
"Nein! You lose! Now, my name iss... Gustav Shatterhand! ... are you laughing?"

I seriously might not even watch this if it's called Shatterhand.

Neomod

"Come, come, Mr. Bond, you disappoint me. You get as much fulfillment out of shitting in her hand as I do, so why don't you admit it?

"I admit killing you would be a pleasure...

.. Shatterhand"

biggytitbo

Can't stop thinking of rulers.

greenman

Extensive flashbacks of Blofeld rapping a young Bond on the knuckles with one?

Phil_A

Quote from: Soup Dogg on February 22, 2019, 02:39:01 PM
Working title is apparently "Shatterhand". Which is like a shit Goldfinger parody. It's being reported as the "production title" but I'm assuming it's the actual title? Normally Bonds are just "Bond 48" until they get christened with their actual release name and become "Shockerflange".

Er

Ant Farm Keyboard

The very point of a production title is that all official documents, especially location shooting, will feature "Shatterhand" rather than "Bond 25" or the soon to be publicly announced title, as a way to address the frenzy surrounding such a production.

"Shatterhand" was actually previously used as the development title for "Tomorrow Never Dies" and it's been used for Bond 25 since July 2017 at least. It's just that a few hours ago some people noticed that and thought it was a scoop.

the science eel

Quote from: thecuriousorange on February 22, 2019, 04:39:43 PM
I seriously might not even watch this if it's called Shatterhand.

I'd go and see it if they called it Action Trousers

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: the science eel on February 23, 2019, 06:44:27 AM
I'd go and see it if they called it Action Trousers

I'd go & see it if they promised never ever to make another fucking bond flick. really, they should've given up decades ago, but certainly after 'bourne' came along & pissed all over them.

studpuppet

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on February 23, 2019, 10:59:15 AM
but certainly after 'bourne' came along & pissed all over them.

Now THERE'S an image I think we can all buy into.

I can't imagine the German version using Shatterhand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2DKB-q0qSY

biggytitbo

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on February 23, 2019, 10:59:15 AM
I'd go & see it if they promised never ever to make another fucking bond flick. really, they should've given up decades ago, but certainly after 'bourne' came along & pissed all over them.

They should make the next film as normal but have everyone bare in it.