Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:18:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bond

Started by asids, December 28, 2017, 01:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJBMK2

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 09, 2019, 09:59:41 PM
That's the one bit of Goldfinger I always enjoyed, and still do.  One of the rare times he's completely demeaned, even moreso because it's just a fucking switch (presumably ON-OFF).  And the "tut, you cunt" look the guy gives him as he walks away.  Most unlike the climax to a 60s action film, let alone the climax to a Bond film.

I guess it does lead to the time/physics/sense defying joke where the timer stops on "007".

I mean...yeah, why the fuck not at that point?

Fleabag's Phoebe Waller-Bridge drafted in to work on the script after Daniel Craig requests more humour. Hmmm, the silly stuff in the last one was messy and I was hoping for something a bit more serious. I liked what I saw of Fleabag though and Craig's Bond run has had its ups and downs so why not try it. This article also says Rami Malek's villian is rumoured to be a version of Blofeld.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/apr/14/james-bond-script-phoebe-waller-bridge-fleabag-daniel-craig

I'm thinking Diamonds Are Forever. Blofeld with new face: check. Wacky gags: check. Disillusioned star back for one big payday: Cheque please!

colacentral

Isn't Bond meant to be ex-Navy? There hasn't been anything exploring that, has there? That era would surely have been a better genesis of a relationship with Blofeld than childhood.

I do think a good Bond film can still be made but it would have to be via a complete overhaul of the typical form and structure. The Craig films are essentially still tethered to the Bond films of the past, just tonally a bit different, lending them a very tired quality.

Kelvin

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 15, 2019, 11:00:08 PM
This article also says Rami Malek's villian is rumoured to be a version of Blofeld.

How would that be possible? He's 20 years younger than Christoph Waltz from the last film, surely?

greenman

Hmmm, the silly stuff in the last one was messy

I think the problem was that a lot of it was an attempt to shoehorn in some Moore style silliness though wasn't it.

gilbertharding

Talking about tonal problems in various eras, there's an early scene in one of the Brosnan ones where Bond, M and Moneypenny are speeding through London in a Daimler 420 limousine from a meeting at the Ministry of Defence. I mean SPEEDING - this car's door handles are scraping the tarmac as it goes round corners. The tyres are peeling off the rims. It's not clear why, exactly, they're going so fast. No-one is chasing them. And the three of them are drinking champagne from crystal glasses, in the car. Again - they've come from a serious (!) meeting, and are going back to the office (to type up the minutes? Expedite their action points?). At one point Moneypenny makes a filthy suggestion (I can't remember what, but it's really off).

lipsink

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 16, 2019, 09:35:16 AM
Talking about tonal problems in various eras, there's an early scene in one of the Brosnan ones where Bond, M and Moneypenny are speeding through London in a Daimler 420 limousine from a meeting at the Ministry of Defence. I mean SPEEDING - this car's door handles are scraping the tarmac as it goes round corners. The tyres are peeling off the rims. It's not clear why, exactly, they're going so fast. No-one is chasing them. And the three of them are drinking champagne from crystal glasses, in the car. Again - they've come from a serious (!) meeting, and are going back to the office (to type up the minutes? Expedite their action points?). At one point Moneypenny makes a filthy suggestion (I can't remember what, but it's really off).

It's in Tomorrow Never Dies, isn't it? And M suggests that Bond will need to 'pump' Teri Hatcher's character for information. Moneypenny then says to Bond: "You'll just have to decide how much pumping is necessary."

I'll admit, I laughed.

Aside from Goldeneye, the Brosnan films just felt so soulless. Probably more a sign of the times. Late 90s there were just loads of bland action flicks.

Quote from: mothman on February 24, 2019, 09:58:14 AM
Tricky. "Probably going to shag her" doesn't mean he ever actually did - just look at Olga Kurylenko's chaescter in QoS, they definitely didn't. Or at least I don't think so (they did look quite rumpled walking down that mountain to catch the bus). And he never really got an opportunity with Klebb - or had the time with Irma Bunt in OHMSS. So his success rate isn't 100%. But still, balance of probability weighs heavy in favour of your theory.

They didn't. She survived.

Up until the end of Skyfall, every single one of Craig's conquests got offed.

I gave up on Spectre, so assume a brick fell and killed the lass at the end.

machotrouts

Quote from: lipsink on April 16, 2019, 10:45:31 AMMoneypenny then says to Bond: "You'll just have to decide how much pumping is necessary."

is this a shag joke or a fart joke

lipsink

Quote from: machotrouts on April 16, 2019, 11:25:42 AM
is this a shag joke or a fart joke

Ah, see I live in Scotland where pump = shag. I forget that in England it means fart. I was a little confused when I discovered the children's character Princess Pumpalot.

gilbertharding

Quote from: lipsink on April 16, 2019, 10:45:31 AM
It's in Tomorrow Never Dies, isn't it? And M suggests that Bond will need to 'pump' Teri Hatcher's character for information. Moneypenny then says to Bond: "You'll just have to decide how much pumping is necessary."

I'll admit, I laughed.

Aside from Goldeneye, the Brosnan films just felt so soulless. Probably more a sign of the times. Late 90s there were just loads of bland action flicks.

I tried to find the quote. I dug up one where she's basically reminding him of another time when he gave her a lickout: "You always were a cunning linguist James."

gilbertharding

Quote from: lipsink on April 16, 2019, 11:51:33 AM
Ah, see I live in Scotland where pump = shag. I forget that in England it means fart. I was a little confused when I discovered the children's character Princess Pumpalot.

I'm not Scottish, but I thought pump could mean either a fart or a shag up there too, same as here in England. Context is king.

I've just realised I've mixed up Viz with actual DC Thompson...

lipsink

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 16, 2019, 01:31:39 PM
I'm not Scottish, but I thought pump could mean either a fart or a shag up there too, same as here in England. Context is king.

I've just realised I've mixed up Viz with actual DC Thompson...

I've never heard anyone in Scotland use 'pump' to mean fart.

Though it can mean excited too. "I'm pure pumped."

gilbertharding

As I say - Johnny Fartpants was king of the pumps - but I realised as I was typing that he's not from Dundee. Oor Wullie never trod on a duck, did he?

Wet Blanket

Quote from: lipsink on April 16, 2019, 02:08:02 PM
I've never heard anyone in Scotland use 'pump' to mean fart.

Though it can mean excited too. "I'm pure pumped."

Maybe you don't count Edinburgh as proper Scotland but my friend's little girl and her pals all use the term pump for a bum burp and find it, quite rightly, hilarious.

Quote from: Kelvin on April 15, 2019, 11:57:59 PM
How would that be possible? He's 20 years younger than Christoph Waltz from the last film, surely?

Having an entirely new head in every film is kind of Blofeld's thing though

gilbertharding

Why are we talking about farting in a Bond thread?

Quote from: Ian FlemingBond reached the door, and with a single economic movement, pulled the special device Q had given him in the last chapter from the special compartment in the heel of one of his calfskin Oxford brogues, handmade for him by Crockett and Jones of Jermyn Street. As he squatted to address his attention to the lock, a sudden gust of wind emerged from the seat of his lightweight blue worsted trousers. "Silent but violent," he thought to himself, allowing a wry smile to play across his cruel, thin lips.

Die All Over Again (1958)

lipsink

Bond is King of Bantz.

In the next film I hope they have a scene where Blofield gives himself away by letting a fart slip out.

If each Bond actor's first outing was a classic (or at last quite good), the last ones are all awful and I have no optimism for this. A View to a Kill, anyone? Die Another Day? It can't be as bad as those, but it won't even be as good as Licence to Kill.

kidsick5000

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 16, 2019, 02:49:37 PM
"Silent but violent"

I've haven't heard that in years. I've been giggling to myself at it far too much today.
It sounds best in Connery's voice. But a wry Moore take isn't bad either

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: lipsink on April 16, 2019, 10:45:31 AM

Yeah, I think Brosnan was perfectly likable but the films were beyond pedestrian.

My fondness for Goldeneye is mainly because of the game I think.

greenman

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 16, 2019, 05:28:40 PM
If each Bond actor's first outing was a classic (or at last quite good), the last ones are all awful and I have no optimism for this. A View to a Kill, anyone? Die Another Day? It can't be as bad as those, but it won't even be as good as Licence to Kill.

Must admit I'v never really seen View to a Kill as being that bad, a bit tired/uninspired maybe but Walken is probably up there with the best Bond villians and he gets a lot of screen time rather than just lurking in his lair.

MattD

Fleabag's Phoebe Waller-Bridge drafted in to work on the script after Daniel Craig requests more humour. Hmmm, the silly stuff in the last one was messy and I was hoping for something a bit more serious. I liked what I saw of Fleabag though and Craig's Bond run has had its ups and downs so why not try it. This article also says Rami Malek's villian is rumoured to be a version of Blofeld.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/apr/14/james-bond-script-phoebe-waller-bridge-fleabag-daniel-craig

I'm thinking Diamonds Are Forever. Blofeld with new face: check. Wacky gags: check. Disillusioned star back for one big payday: Cheque please!

Expect jokes about anal sex and Craig's Bond winking to the audience every 20 seconds.

Shaky

If Craig's new one gets anywhere near the weirdness of that film, I'm all for it. Throw in a resurrected Wint & Kidd and I'll be in the front row.

mothman

Only if there's Bambi & Thumper too.

Quote from: MattD on April 22, 2019, 03:27:57 AM
Expect jokes about anal sex and Craig's Bond winking to the audience every 20 seconds.

"Anal sex never happened to the other fella."

grassbath

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 18, 2019, 03:12:27 AM
Yeah, I think Brosnan was perfectly likable but the films were beyond pedestrian.

My fondness for Goldeneye is mainly because of the game I think.

Watched Goldeneye again not so long ago and I think it's one of the very best - potentially the only Bond film, come to think of it, where they get the pacing right and it doesn't feel overlong. Dark and violent, as they go, but has heart too. Striking reconciliation of 90s and Cold War elements. Great set pieces, characters and performances all round. A completely different world to the drabness of the Dalton films, particularly License to Kill, which looks like a fucking TV movie. Only thing I could fault really would be the soundtrack.

Diamonds Are Forever, on the other hand - one of the very worst. Horrible drab 70s vibe. Dripping with misogyny. Uninspiring locales. Connery looks so fat and depressed. Worst Blofeld ever.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The second half of Goldeneye loses a little steam. But Martin Campbell's direction was a much welcome shot in the arm. He knows perfectly how to get the best of his actors, and he has an eye for ensemble shots.

Diamonds Are Forever was quickly put together. When they picked the title at the end credits of OHMSS, it was supposed to be the revenge story about Bond and Blofeld (more or less the equivalent of YOLT, the novel) starring George Lazenby and directed by Peter Hunt, then it turned into a plot involving Goldfinger's identical twin who was into diamonds directed by George Hamilton (who had done Goldfinger) and starring John Gavin. And ultimately, after Albert Broccoli had a dream, he decided to make it about a Howard Hughes figure, starring Sean Connery because the studio had asked (and paid) for it. They also honored Gavin's fee. As Connery took a huge chunk of the budget, they had to cut down on the rest, like the sets (they don't have the usual trademarks that Ken Adam brought to the game) or the rest of the cast. And as Connery wasn't tied by the strict contract he previously had with Eon, he wasn't very concerned with staying in shape. That said the first thirty minutes are fine.

At this point in the franchise, the two producers had amicably split lead duties on consecutive films. OHMSS was more of a Saltzman effort, Broccoli was in charge of Diamonds, Saltzman had final word on Live and Let Die, Broccoli supervised The Man with the Golden Gun. Obviously, Saltzman's films were better than the Broccoli ones. It was almost a wonder that, when Saltzman became depressed and contracted huge debts that forced him to sell his share, Broccoli was able to put together The Spy who Loved Me, which had all the grandiose touches that Saltzman had brought early in the franchise.

Worst Bonds: The Man with the Golden Gun, A View to a Kill, Die Another Day.

Shaky

Quote from: grassbath on April 22, 2019, 11:11:52 PM
Watched Goldeneye again not so long ago and I think it's one of the very best - potentially the only Bond film, come to think of it, where they get the pacing right and it doesn't feel overlong. Dark and violent, as they go, but has heart too. Striking reconciliation of 90s and Cold War elements. Great set pieces, characters and performances all round. A completely different world to the drabness of the Dalton films, particularly License to Kill, which looks like a fucking TV movie. Only thing I could fault really would be the soundtrack.

Diamonds Are Forever, on the other hand - one of the very worst. Horrible drab 70s vibe. Dripping with misogyny. Uninspiring locales. Connery looks so fat and depressed. Worst Blofeld ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNpF5KMQo14

Blumf

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on April 22, 2019, 11:37:16 PM
Worst Bonds: The Man with the Golden Gun, A View to a Kill, Die Another Day.

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but why is there so much disregard for AVtaK? Sure it may not be solid gold Bond, but it's far from the worst. I mean, Octopussy for fucks fucking sake!!