Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:26:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bond

Started by asids, December 28, 2017, 01:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colacentral

Quote from: Blumf on April 23, 2019, 11:34:26 AM
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but why is there so much disregard for AVtaK? Sure it may not be solid gold Bond, but it's far from the worst. I mean, Octopussy for fucks fucking sake!!

It's much worse than Octopussy: dull, tedious, slow, no fun set pieces outside of the bridge bit at the end. I can't tell you specifically what's bad about it because I can't remember, it's that unmemorable.

Octopussy is tons of fun in comparison - Roger Moore as a clown, indian bloke with a saw thing... erm...
Well I'm sure it is better anyway. Everyone wants an egg, that's good.

None of the Bond films are good really, are they? After the age of ten anyway. Proper shite. I'm glad to see a few in this thread slating Goldfinger; I've always thought that was overrated, both the film and the song. I think Moonraker is the best Bassey theme, personally; it's just not as showy as Goldfinger and DAF so gets overlooked.

Shaky

Yeah, Octopussy at least has an exotic globe-trotting vibe and still feels like a Bond movie, albeit not a very good one. AFTAK is much more of a mess and ultimately comes off as some weird, bungled attempt to battle with the big mid-80's US action-movie boys. Laughably enjoyable in parts, but total shit overall.

Best theme tune, mind.

machotrouts

Quote from: Shaky on April 22, 2019, 03:42:02 AM
If Craig's new one gets anywhere near the weirdness of that film, I'm all for it. Throw in a resurrected Wint & Kidd and I'll be in the front row.

Diamonds Are Forever is the only one of the original fifteen PG-rated Bonds to have recently been upgraded to a 12 by the BBFC, in part for "negative comic stereotyping of homosexual characters". Which is interesting, because when I watched that film for the first time as a gay adolescent, I found Mr Wint and Mr Kidd genuinely inspirational. I can shag men and murder them? I can hold a man's hand and still come across menacing? The world is my oyster!

I've never been able to relate to complaints about "queer-coding" villains – I am not perceived as a credible threat by straight people nearly as much as I would like.

I would still count them as role models, if only they hadn't been probably the most incompetent villains in Bond history.

"We have unfettered access to James Bond's unconscious body. How shall we kill him?"
"Let's put him in a pipe."
"And then what?"
"No, that's it. Let's just put him in a pipe and assume he'll die, somehow."
"Ah. Die of what, specifically?"
"I dunno. Being in a pipe."
"Mmm. I see. Yes, let's do that."

Jerzy Bondov

Mr Wint and Mr Kidd are why you shouldn't work with your partner. It can only end badly, for instance being doused in cognac and set on fire.

Shaky

Quote from: machotrouts on April 24, 2019, 10:20:05 AM
Diamonds Are Forever is the only one of the original fifteen PG-rated Bonds to have recently been upgraded to a 12 by the BBFC, in part for "negative comic stereotyping of homosexual characters". Which is interesting, because when I watched that film for the first time as a gay adolescent, I found Mr Wint and Mr Kidd genuinely inspirational. I can shag men and murder them? I can hold a man's hand and still come across menacing? The world is my oyster!

I've never been able to relate to complaints about "queer-coding" villains – I am not perceived as a credible threat by straight people nearly as much as I would like.

I would still count them as role models, if only they hadn't been probably the most incompetent villains in Bond history.

"We have unfettered access to James Bond's unconscious body. How shall we kill him?"
"Let's put him in a pipe."
"And then what?"
"No, that's it. Let's just put him in a pipe and assume he'll die, somehow."
"Ah. Die of what, specifically?"
"I dunno. Being in a pipe."
"Mmm. I see. Yes, let's do that."

Heh, yes that always seemed a bit of a cop out for a pair of psychos whose previous MO had been putting scorpions down people's shirts and drowning old women. Maybe they were tired. I like the two of them because their presence, chemistry & delivery of lines is so off (Jazz bassist (!) Putter Smith is stilted as fuck while Bruce "Father of Crispian" Glover is gurning sliminess personified). It's a happy accident, lightning in a bottle stuff.

machotrouts

Quote from: Shaky on April 24, 2019, 11:43:23 AM...putting scorpions down people's shirts...

I'm not sure what the source of this is, but I've seen a few places say that, in the original version of this scene before censors objected, they shoved the scorpion in the doctor's mouth. This would have secured their place as my personal gay icons.

Love their theme music, too. I play this on Spotify whenever I'm skulking somewhere. Love a good skulk to this.

Cuellar

Wait, they were gay? I can't remember if I've seen the whole film but looking them up I certainly remember them. Must have seen it at some stage.

Never clocked that they were a couple though. I imagine I wasn't really paying attention, however, due to the fact that Bond films are unmitigated shit.

There were plans at one stage for Michelle Yeoh's character from Tomorrow Never Dies to get a spin-off film. That obviously didn't happen, but do you think anyone else from the series could support that type of thing on their own? I don't think a James Bond Expanded Universe should ever happen, but I bet the money men would love to try. How about "Jaws Begins" or something.

magval

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 24, 2019, 12:58:04 PM
There were plans at one stage for Michelle Yeoh's character from Tomorrow Never Dies to get a spin-off film.

Like with Supercop!

Dex Sawash

Would watch a bond/clouseau collaboration film. Would need to be Sellars and Moore though.

machotrouts

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 24, 2019, 12:58:04 PM
There were plans at one stage for Michelle Yeoh's character from Tomorrow Never Dies to get a spin-off film.

Halle Berry in Die Another Day too, right? And I assume Michael Madsen was supposed to be the recurring M figure.

I think this was hampered by nobody giving a shit about her, but I think a part of me would have sort of liked a stupid CGI nonsense Jinx franchise continuing as a frivolous split universe alongside a dark moody Daniel Craig Bond series. Maybe they could have exported John Cleese's Q to continue over there. Might also have had the benefit of keeping the Craig films a bit more serious as a tonal contrast and reduced the temptation to make Spectre the stupidest fucking film ever.

She presumably wants to distance herself from the whole affair now, as they weren't able to get the rights to use her likeness for the game '007 Legends'. The developer claimed they were using some whole other lass's face due to "creative license", which is such a charmingly pointless lie. Yeah we just specifically didn't like Jinx's original face for artistic reasons. Our vision of an otherwise faithful re-enactment of Die Another Day would somehow have been marred by the inclusion of this one original actor's face. This has nothing to do with the law. If Halle Berry's face had come up to us like "hey, you can legally use me if you like, it's fine", we would have vomited on it.

Shaky

While I was cleaning up the cat's shit this morning it suddenly hit me how insane this ongoing franchise is. I mean, they'll never, ever stop making these films, will they? Creatively moribund for decades now (not to say they can't still be enjoyable)... yet people still fucking flock to the things. And none of them have ever really bombed, have they? Absolutely nuts. I wonder if Barbara has little Broccoli's ready to take up the mantel, although she's still relatively young herself and could lead the Bondbeast for another 30 years.

Noodle Lizard

I am actually a little surprised we haven't had Bond spin-offs yet.  The Conjuring came out what ... five years ago, and that's already had three spin-offs (with more to come).  It'll happen, maybe once the remaining Broccolis snuff it.

greenman

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 25, 2019, 03:06:23 AM
I am actually a little surprised we haven't had Bond spin-offs yet.  The Conjuring came out what ... five years ago, and that's already had three spin-offs (with more to come).  It'll happen, maybe once the remaining Broccolis snuff it.

You could argue Bond has never really had much of a universe of its own to expand into, the attraction has always been Bond himself and its only really Q's gadgets that go much beyond standard action/spy fare. Equally as mentioned in the Black/Female Bond debates the character arguably isn't very suited to such shifts as he's typically not much of an "example" a lot of the politics of the films since the 90's work via pointing out Bonds own faults.

Noodle Lizard

I suppose so, but it hasn't stopped things like the creepy doll from The Conjuring getting its own trilogy.  They'll go wherever there may be money, regardless of quality or whether it even makes sense.

That being said, I can't imagine anyone lining up for Oddjob: Origins or whatever.  Maybe a crossover is more likely.

Jerzy Bondov

I hope Bond never goes the Marvel or Star Wars route where they work out how to make them come out at regular intervals. It feels like more of an event when it takes ages to make them. Even if they are eventually shite.

Should be an announcement today

greenman

The Disney model as well is working out exactly what audiences want and them cramming it down their throats, part of the reason for Bond's longevity(at least since the 80's) I'd say is that its often been a reaction to itself rather than a coherent franchise with a similar style to it. Less successful(or at least less enjoyed, its never really had a bomb) Bond films almost help keep the franchise alive as it means there can be some kind of comeback that's shifts things in a differen direction.

Leak ahead of today's announcement.

It will be called, simply, "James Bond".

machotrouts

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 24, 2019, 12:58:04 PMThere were plans at one stage for Michelle Yeoh's character from Tomorrow Never Dies to get a spin-off film. That obviously didn't happen, but do you think anyone else from the series could support that type of thing on their own? I don't think a James Bond Expanded Universe should ever happen, but I bet the money men would love to try. How about "Jaws Begins" or something.

Colonel Klebb (if Lotte Lenya isn't busy)

The Many Deaths of Baron Samedi

Silva Dicks About on a Desolate Island: The Prequel

May Day and Her Coterie of Horseback Bitches

Necros: Cunt Milkman

What's Nick Nack Up to These Days

May Day and Her Coterie of Horseback Bitches 2: To Clarify, We Mean "Bitches" in an Empowering Way, As Well As As An Insult

Dr Molly Warmflash: Origins

Sheriff J.W. Pepper: We'll Keep Doing This Until You Find It Funny

Stacey Sutton Screaming Constantly: She Won't Shut the Fuck Up

The Couple Whose Table Bond Dumps a Lady's Corpse At in Thunderball: The Therapy Chronicles

Aubergine (a detective series about detective Aubergine from A View to a Kill. It's just named Aubergine)

Peaceful Fountains of Desire: Day of Reckoning

Man Who Keeps Seeing Something Extraordinary and Looking at His Wine Bottle and Just Assumes He Suffers from Alcohol-Induced Hallucinations: The Therapy Chronicles

mothman

+1

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 25, 2019, 09:37:19 AM
Leak ahead of today's announcement.

It will be called, simply, "James Bond".

This wouldn't surprise me at all; but I think it'd make more sense to save that for the next irrational/reboot. Though I guess it didn't do the films Rocky Balboa, John Rambo and Jason Bourne any harm.

Quote from: mothman on April 25, 2019, 10:51:33 AM
+1

This wouldn't surprise me at all; but I think it'd make more sense to save that for the next irrational/reboot. Though I guess it didn't do the films Rocky Balboa, John Rambo and Jason Bourne any harm.

Maybe just "Bond". We've had "'Logan" and Die Hard fans can look forward to "McClane".

Norton Canes

Trout Fishing with Bambi and Thumper

non capisco

Title announced in 10 minutes.

I predict: "Silverfin"

Dr Rock

'The Spy Who Raped Me'

Live from Jamaica they have exclusively revealed....

That they don't have a title yet.

mothman

All the previous recurrings back, including Rory K. And Jeffrey Wright back as Leiter. Also: Lashana Lynch, Ana de Armas, and Rami Malek. Plus Lea Seydoux back too.

Gerald Fjord

If it's possible to grow out of your features, Dan Craig has done it.

Dex Sawash